Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen…Hopefully not the most stupid question to ask🤞🏻🤞🏻

powerbow1415

Hi guys….as I said, I hope this is not a totally idiotic question but if u don’t ask, you don’t know.

I was just cleaning the inside of my windscreen and I just wondered wether there is the technology out there in this 21st century, to have a windscreen that can be detached from the frame via hinges at the bottom, to clean the inside easier…(not detached completely), and then placed back in place and re-sealed via a button or lever on or around the dashboard?.

Ford introduced the heated front screen which is awesome👍…would this “hinged”, windscreen be a financially viable and practical venture to check out?.🤔🤔🤔.

Not very likely. The windscreen is "glued" in place and provides a lot of the structural rigidity of the car.

The only bit of technology available is a micro fibre cloth on a plastic stick which can help you reach the bottom of the windscreen. I have given up on these as I find that I can reach all of the windscreen by starting inside the car and finishing outside the car, reaching in through the open doors. 

• Like 2

The windscreen on modern cars forms part of the structure so it wouldn't be possible have hinged.

Some cars used to have hinged windscreens back in the 50's for airflow, before modern HVAC systems were installed.

The main problem for cleaning is the enormous dashboards that are fitted nowadays!

Thanks guys….yeah. I remember my late dad saying that he had a car with this hinged screen, can’t recall the make though…I was thinking of not the windscreen itself, but the frame around the windscreen…I guess that if it was practical, it would already be in use today huh….the huge modern dashboards today are a bit of a pain when cleaning the screen. I use the “stick and cloth”, method sometimes too…just one of those things we are gonna have to live with, with car windscreens today huh.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club