Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 7-Speed Dual Clutch Transmission mHEV

Ryan E

I've picked up my new Fiesta Vignale with the 7-speed dual clutch transmission this week. I had originally ordered a Titanium X with a 6 speed manual back in April but the semi-conductor shortages have meant numerous factory closures and delays. I was informed that, by a stroke of luck, there was a Vignale available in stock with the same engine, colour and almost the same spec as what I ordered (the Vignale having a couple of packs that I had ordered as standard). The biggest difference was that it is an automatic. I had never driven an auto and wasn't sure whether I wanted one. I'm pleased I went for it as it sounds like delays are ongoing and I doubt I would have seen my ordered car this side of Christmas, and with the mid cycle refresh it would have likely been a bit of a different car to what I had asked for.

One thing I noticed when trying to make this decision is how little information there seems to be about this gearbox. There's a couple of videos that show a Puma with the non-hybrid version of the transmission and they're the best I can find to help prospective buyers work out whether they like it or not. I'm yet to find a video showing the mHEV version being driven in any car or anything of it in the Fiesta.

From what I have read, it seems as though automatic Mk8's previously had an 6 speed torque converter gearbox which was slower than the manual version of the 100ps engine it was attached to and the review videos I've seen online of it don't rate it particularly highly. I think this changed to the 7DCT on the 125ps back in 2020, with it becoming an mHEV in May this year?

I've got to say that I am very impressed with the 7DCT in my Fiesta so far. The gear changes are very smooth, the engine is very quiet and other than wanting to put the (non-existant) clutch pedal down with my left foot as I got to the main road from the forecourt, I have found the auto very easy to adapt to. In fact, I'd say that the regenerative braking that kicks in 1-2 seconds after you lift off the accelerator is the biggest thing to get used to, but that is easily adjusted to with a bit of practice. It also seems to rev lower than the manual if the specs are anything to go by, and my short journey on the A1 yesterday had the engine at under 2250 rpm which would prove that theory.

Speaking of specs, is there any other details about this transmission other than what is listed on Automotive Catalogue? It says that the 1000 rpm speed in 7th gear is 40.5mph which would suggest an 1728 rpm at 70mph if I'm understanding this correctly? If so, my car was only in 6th gear and still at a lower RPM than the manual. Is that right?

Other Fiesta 7DCT owners, please share your thoughts and experiences here.

• Like 1

AFAIK, they have purchased VAG 7 speed DSG this time and have thrown DPS6 in the bin. 

These are rumours though, no one knows for sure.

No one knows the potential for issues with them, yet, as they are so new and very low volume.

In theory, based on the specs, it should be better on fuel than the manual version and possibly quicker (in Sport mode), figures are shown for normal "D" mode.

Yes, previous MK8s had 6F15 torque converter mated to the 100PS version. My daughter has this car (ST-Line X) and my mother also has a Vignale version and it's not too bad at all, but not so good on fuel around town (30MPG)

If you register with ETIS and enter your car details (or PM me your VIN and I'll do it) you will at least see what the code for the transmission is and can research from there.

Good luck and good choice of car, the (now defunct) Vignale Fiesta was a very nice car

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, DaveT70 said:

AFAIK, they have purchased VAG 7 speed DSG this time and have thrown DPS6 in the bin. 

These are rumours though, no one knows for sure.

No one knows the potential for issues with them, yet, as they are so new and very low volume.

In theory, based on the specs, it should be better on fuel than the manual version and possibly quicker (in Sport mode), figures are shown for normal "D" mode.

I thought it was a Magna PT (formerly known as Getrag) gearbox? Wikipedia has it as "7DCT300 — 7-speed dual-wet-clutch - Renault EDC and Mini/BMW Steptronic Doppelkupplung since MY2018 in FWD applications, Ford Puma and Ford Fiesta since MY2020)" although it does say Magna PT supply transmissions to the Volkswagen Group so they could be related. 

Hopefully they will prove to be reliable. It certainly seems to shift smoothly and quickly from the experience I have so far although I haven't driven many miles yet. As long as they don't suffer the issues of the old dry clutch Powershift transmissions! (it's a wet clutch transmission so hopefully it will be fine)

I've had no need to go for a long run on a dual carriageway or motorway in it yet but I'm interested to see how it performs when I do. 

Yes, previous MK8s had 6F15 torque converter mated to the 100PS version. My daughter has this car (ST-Line X) and my mother also has a Vignale version and it's not too bad at all, but not so good on fuel around town (30MPG)

Good to hear it's not too bad in reality despite reviews suggesting otherwise. That fuel consuption in town doesn't seem to great but I guess that's the torque converter that causes this due to heat losses?

Good luck and good choice of car, the (now defunct) Vignale Fiesta was a very nice car

Thank you, I'd originally ordered the Titanium-X but I'm very glad I've got the Vignale now. I'm suprised they've got rid of the Vignale as it looks very nice and looking around online it seems quite a few people have them. Clearly not enough for Ford!

Be interested to hear on going experiences of this, and when if fluids are scheduled to be replaced. I think my next car will be my first automatic. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ryan E said:

I thought it was a Magna PT (formerly known as Getrag) gearbox? Wikipedia has it as "7DCT300 — 7-speed dual-wet-clutch - Renault EDC and Mini/BMW Steptronic Doppelkupplung since MY2018 in FWD applications, Ford Puma and Ford Fiesta since MY2020)" although it does say Magna PT supply transmissions to the Volkswagen Group so they could be related. 

There seems to be a similar confusion on VW forums at present. The facelift Polo GTI is going from a 6 speed to a 7 speed DSG (as VW call it). The Polo GTI 6 speed was a wet clutch, no-one seems sure about the 7 speed, but everyone is hoping it's a wet clutch (as used in the Golf GTI) not the dry clutch which was used in lower torque cars and did have issues.

No doubt someone will be able to clarify it in due course - it will be interesting if they are in fact basically the same (Magna) box. With the various tie-ups between Ford and VW and the drive by all manufacturers to cut costs on "the bits you don't see" it could make sense.

Getrag/Magna have been used by BMW/Mini for years and the new fwd 1 series certainly uses the Magna in lower powered versions, though the 8 speed torque converter box on the higher  power/torque outputs is from Aisin I believe.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ryan E said:

There you go then.

If it's wet clutch, I can't see there being many problems.

The box has just been introduced in the Focus too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nismex said:

Be interested to hear on going experiences of this, and when if fluids are scheduled to be replaced. I think my next car will be my first automatic. 

Yes, very important to change the fluids at the correct intervals with wet clutch

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

The box has just been introduced in the Focus too.

I've just spotted this. Odd that they're moving away from the 8-speed torque converter box already as it was only introduced a couple of years or so ago I think. 

The 8 speed seemed like a stop gap inbetween the old powershift and the move to the 7 speed new DCT, I think with emissions regulations, the torque converters werent long for the focus line 😞

12 hours ago, Ryan E said:

I've just spotted this. Odd that they're moving away from the 8-speed torque converter box already as it was only introduced a couple of years or so ago I think. 

8-Speed still available on 1.5 Ecoblue Diesel and ST (With 2nd gear deactivated). It looks like 2.0 Diesel has been dropped

• 3 months later...

Rather than me start a duplicate thread, anyone owned the new 7 speed DCT mild hybrid? How is it day to day? We have any more details on the manufacturer/model? How about servicing?

Hope I'm ok using this thread to ask. Cheers.

I am really suprised that Ford are phasing out the 6F and 8F fluid torque converter transmitions as they spent a lot of money on R and D with GM to produce these units which are decent auto boxes. I am not sure they are being pased out due to emissions as newer fluid driver automatic transmitions all have lock up torque converters to lower drive train losses.

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2021 at 2:29 PM, Ryan E said:

7DCT300 — 7-speed dual-wet-clutch - Renault EDC and Mini/BMW Steptronic Doppelkupplung since MY2018 in FWD applications

AFAIK Steptronics are torque converter boxes. Certainly were when I had one 20 years ago. I think the insertion of 'Steptronic' in that sentence is a rogue mistake that has crept into that particular wiki entry. Can't find it repeated anywhere else.

2 hours ago, alanfp said:

AFAIK Steptronics are torque converter boxes. Certainly were when I had one 20 years ago.

I believe the term was coined in the 90's by BMW and did mean the ability to manually change gears on an auto, which at that time were predominantly torque convertor. It seemed a bit of a novelty once, autos when I started driving simply had PRNDL. 

BMW group seem to use the term nowadays for any form of auto transmission with the ability to shift manually, including the Magna/Getrag DCT300 as used on current MINIs**, doppelkupplung as mentioned above being dual clutch.

**https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0277002EN/double-clutch-transmission-in-the-mini:-faster-gearshifts-for-increased-driving-fun?language%3Den

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club