Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta 2014 key fob not working after changing battery

Hobohippy

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me with this please.

I came to my 64 plate fiesta titanium 1.5 tdci this morning and it wouldn’t start.

I forgot to lock the doors and left the daytime led lights on all night which drained the battery.

very helpful guy jump started the car but I had to hold the fob against the key radar emergency start point. 
I replaced the battery with a new Duracell got home after a long run and the key will not open or lock the doors and when I try to start the car it keeps saying key not detected. If I hold the key on the emergency key point it starts fine. It will still not lock the doors or open them or start the engine if it’s not held on the emergency start point? 
luckily I have a spare key and that’s working fine but I really need to sort out the old key so I’ve got a spare just incase.

does anyone have an idea what I need to do to get the old key working again? 

Thansk 

• 1 year later...
On 10/11/2021 at 4:52 PM, Hobohippy said:

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me with this please.

I came to my 64 plate fiesta titanium 1.5 tdci this morning and it wouldn’t start.

I forgot to lock the doors and left the daytime led lights on all night which drained the battery.

very helpful guy jump started the car but I had to hold the fob against the key radar emergency start point. 
I replaced the battery with a new Duracell got home after a long run and the key will not open or lock the doors and when I try to start the car it keeps saying key not detected. If I hold the key on the emergency key point it starts fine. It will still not lock the doors or open them or start the engine if it’s not held on the emergency start point? 
luckily I have a spare key and that’s working fine but I really need to sort out the old key so I’ve got a spare just incase.

does anyone have an idea what I need to do to get the old key working again? 

Thansk 

Hi, I’m having a slightly similar issue. Left my main key with a garage so having to use the spare (which I haven’t used for about five years). Spare key won’t lock/unlock the car either by using the keyless entry button on the handle or by pressing the button on the key; have to get into the car using the actual physical key. Once in the car I can’t start it using the normal keyless start, have to do as you did and hold the key to the emergency start for it to work. Once it does start it doesn’t actually say key not detected like yours did, weirdly, it says “key outside car”. I have tried replacing the key battery which made no difference. So, it’s not quite the exact same as your issue was but similar so I’m just wondering if you ever found out what was causing this issue and how to fix it?
Thanks. 

Firstly have you checked that the new battery measures at least 3.30V and is of good quality and not one of 'Poundlands' 5 for a £1 ???

Since the key has not been used for so long there can sometimes be a problem with the car no longer been in sync with the key. Put a brand new Energizer or Panasonic battery in it (Duracell is out of favor due to fakes). Stand outside the car and press the lock / unlock buttons 3 times on the fob in less than 10 seconds.

If that method of getting the key recognised fails then you will have to use FORScan to reprogramme it back to the car.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 7:08 PM, unofix said:

Firstly have you checked that the new battery measures at least 3.30V and is of good quality and not one of 'Poundlands' 5 for a £1 ???

Since the key has not been used for so long there can sometimes be a problem with the car no longer been in sync with the key. Put a brand new Energizer or Panasonic battery in it (Duracell is out of favor due to fakes). Stand outside the car and press the lock / unlock buttons 3 times on the fob in less than 10 seconds.

If that method of getting the key recognised fails then you will have to use FORScan to reprogramme it back to the car.

Thank you! Got the main key back so kinda forgot about the issue with the spare. Will give the above a go.