Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S Max Alloys

Etienne77

Hi,

I’ve been offered some replacement alloys for my S Max but the tyre widths are different, two alloys are fitted with 235/50 and two with 225/50 tyres.

What issues would this cause if I fitted them to my car? 

Thanks

They will rotate at different speeds (225/50 will have to rotate faster) and may set off the traction control.

So I’d best just swapping 2 tyres for a matching set? 

• 3 weeks later...

First thing is make sure they are load rated for the S-Max!

Pretty much any Ford 5 nut alloys will fit, but only S-Max/Galaxy and some Kuga alloys are correctly load rated for the S-Max. Its a very heavy car at just under nearly 2 tonne. Pretty much any other Ford wheels and a lot of aftermarket wheels won't be load rated for the s-max, they need to be minimum rated 700kg each with XL/Extra Load marked tyres.

I've seen way too many times people fit Focus or Mondeo etc alloys on an S-Max, and a few months or years later they inevitibly crack or give way somehow, or tyres blow out from not being XL rated. Better safe than sorry, especially in a car you are likely to be carrying lots of family, freinds etc in.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:14 AM, kyle2241 said:

First thing is make sure they are load rated for the S-Max!

Pretty much any Ford 5 nut alloys will fit, but only S-Max/Galaxy and some Kuga alloys are correctly load rated for the S-Max. Its a very heavy car at just under nearly 2 tonne. Pretty much any other Ford wheels and a lot of aftermarket wheels won't be load rated for the s-max, they need to be minimum rated 700kg each with XL/Extra Load marked tyres.

I've seen way too many times people fit Focus or Mondeo etc alloys on an S-Max, and a few months or years later they inevitibly crack or give way somehow, or tyres blow out from not being XL rated. Better safe than sorry, especially in a car you are likely to be carrying lots of family, freinds etc in.

It’s not really the extra load you should be paying attention too. Many tyres have extra load on them now, even cars in the focus sector. It’s the load rating you need to look at, the S max will be either 102 or 103, due to its weight and towing capacity. Cars are normally high 80’s to mid 90’s in the load rating. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club