Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Ka replacement petrol pump uses 5 wires instead of 4

mothulus

The replacement part for the petrol pump in the fuel tank uses all 5 of the electrical connector pins. The original part I removed uses only 4 of the pins and the car wiring has only 4 wires going to the plug. The pin in question is the middle one of the row of 3.

In the attached photo the extra wire is the blue one going to one end of the gauge sender wiper track.

The blues going off to left are to pump frame earth connection.

The red and black are to the pump motor20211016_154924.thumb.jpg.402fd8a46c02e7b29add308452e5058d.jpg

The car is UK "S" plate registered some time in the period 1 August 1998 – 28 February 1999.
The vendor's fitment list covers this model.
The Haynes workshop manual however confirms my observation of 4 wires and gives no 5-wire alternative.

Do I have an extraordinary version of the Ka?
Which models of the Ford Ka use the 5-pin version?

Thank You

According to CatCar, there are a number of Finis codes for KA fuel pumps, 1073602 being the code for  '97-'99.

Before and after those dates it is 1067973.

From whom did you buy the unit ?

Hello Tim, first thing - can you plug in to the new unit ?

If yes, then I would suspect that the extra wire is used on high spec models for things like low fuel warning lights or possible fuel computer. So don't worry about it.

If no, then you probably have the wrong unit for for your car.

Hi

Thank you for the replies.

The item is this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183076613121?fits=Car+Make%3AFord|Model%3AKa&hash=item2aa0376c01:g:Ee4AAOSws0JahZiN

The fitments list shows Ka on page 8 of 9. They have sold 78 of them but we don't know what cars the customers are fitting them to.

I haven't tried fitting the electrical connection. I noticed the problem before fitting to the tank etc. Both the replacement and original part have the 5-pin socket layout but the pin in question [middle of three] is unused in the original.  The plug on the car's wiring must have the 5th slot to accommodate the unused pin. When I looked at the new part there was no immediately obvious difference in the socket shape/size/layout etc and I presumed it was the same socket but wired differently. The car is at other premises at the moment so I can't check right away.

Electrics in fuel tanks is one thing that I don't like experimenting with as the wrong current across the sender/wiper could be a source of ignition. I don't know the nitty gritties of the gauge used here but if the wiper is intended to be fed/earthed via gauge resistance I don't want to inadvertently introduce a direct feed/earth.

I'll contact the vendor tomorrow. 

Thank you.

So looking at that item, you have a 1.3i ?

I can understand your reluctance to experiment with electrics and petrol!

Ford Finis 1542745 is listed on CatCar as 02-08 ?

Yes it's 1.3. The catcar listing is for 1996-2008 but the production dates (attachment- for the part?) are 02-08. It's all a bit wooly.

The vendor reckons (as above respondent) that the extra wire might be for extra equipment on a Puma or high spec Fiesta.

I haven't yet found a wiring diagram for one of those to confirm the wiring to the 5th pin.

Than you.

Ka petrol pump 003.jpg