Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Estate MK3 Automatic vs Manual

CrimsonFire

Hi, I came across this website as I was looking into buying a Focus Estate, (upgrading from a 2003 Focus hatchback) I found this forum really helpful for narrowing what I wanted down to a MK3 petrol 1.6. One thing I'm struggling with is finding more about the difference between the manual and automatic versions.
I would prefer an automatic for the driving experience, but I've seen some people here weren't so keen on them. Any insight on the the pros and cons, particularly performance, durability and fuel economy would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Hello Chris, I have been driving mostly automatics since 1998 and to be honest I would never want to go back to manual.

Each and every manufacturer, and every model will preform diffrently with an automatic, but thats the same for manuals. In the old days automatics used to use more fuel due to having only 3 gears and a torque converter.

More modern automatics these days have at least 6 gears and most have 8 or more. Many now use a gearbox and clutch system very similar to a manual and often are more efficient in the real world than a manual. After all would you like to keep changing up and down through 9 gears ?

I fully recommend switching over to an automatic (not the EcoSport, which seems to have a few issues).

Like any change of car you will have to adapt your style of driving. For example going down hill there is almost no engine braking, so lift off the accelerator much sooner and you will have to use the foot brake. The Focus has a good automatic gearbox, and as cars go its reliable. The gearbox transmission fluid should be changed at about 75,000 miles even though Ford will claim it's sealed for life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, unofix said:

. For example going down hill there is almost no engine braking, so lift off the accelerator much sooner and you will have to use the foot brake.

There's not a lot of engine braking anyway these days on downsized petrol turbos, many of which are now incorporating "freewheeling", though hybrids and electrics can have a strong braking effect on regen.

Anyway, I digress (as usual).

You may already be familiar with autos, but if not I think it's down to trying it for yourself, either by getting test drives (which can be difficult at present I know) or why not book a session with a local driving school which does lessons in automatics? Could be a few pounds well spent rather than buy a car and find you're not happy.

I've never owned an auto but driven quite a few over the years and the most important advice I would give is tuck your left foot well out of the way until you get used to it. It's amazing how "muscle memory" makes you want to hit the clutch when you come to a stop, and as the brake pedal in an auto is wide, you hit that instead and stop rather more abruptly than intended!😀

Normal driving I've always found no problem, slow speed manoeuvring can take a bit of getting used to depending on the extent to which the car "creeps" with your foot off the throttle - you just need to be ready with the brake.

• Like 1

The main difference between manual & auto in the real world is slow speed manoeuvres as Roger suggests.  If you like to feel fully in control and slip the clutch to gently reverse park in tight parallel spaces, automatics don't really have that ability.  Even bay parking feels less controllable.  If you slip off a clutch, you'll usually stall, if you slip off the brake in an auto, it'll go shooting backwards!  Conventional autos are a bit more controllable during creep than the modern auto-clutch (DSG) types in my (admittedly limited) experience.

As with most things, you'll probably get used to it over time.  But I'm sticking with manuals myself purely because of slow speed manoeuvres.  Once on the move you don't really notice the difference.

• Like 1

I get the slow speed manoeuvres issue with autos. My late mother had a grand vitara automatic, it was tricky for me as a life long manual driver. My Mk4 is my 1st automatic, I can’t comment on the mk3 autos but the Mk4 doesn’t creep at all really, parkings really easy. I couldn’t say that about the vitara or other older automatics that I’ve driven. Try before you buy ..

• Like 2

A 1.6 Petrol auto would be a dry clutch powershift. Steer clear.

Spend a little more money and get a Mk3.5 (2015on) 1.5 petrol as that had the 6F35 6-speed torque converter auto.

Or, even better, a MK3.5 1.5 120PS Diesel has the wet clutch powershift, better fuel economy than the manual and free road tax (Pre 04/2017)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

A 1.6 Petrol auto would be a dry clutch powershift. Steer clear.

Spend a little more money and get a Mk3.5 (2015on) 1.5 petrol as that had the 6F35 6-speed torque converter auto.

Or, even better, a MK3.5 1.5 120PS Diesel has the wet clutch powershift, better fuel economy than the manual and free road tax (Pre 04/2017)

What's wrong with the dry clutch powershift?

I'm only occasionally making journeys longer than 20 minutes for the foreseeable future, I've often been advised this sort of usage isn't great for the health of diesels. Does that still hold true or have times changed? 

Thanks all for the automatic advise, I haven't owned an automatic before but have driven a fair amount of them for work. I have noticed a wide variation in how good they are. Will definitely check how slow speed control is before committing to one.

17 hours ago, CrimsonFire said:

What's wrong with the dry clutch powershift?

I'm only occasionally making journeys longer than 20 minutes for the foreseeable future, I've often been advised this sort of usage isn't great for the health of diesels. Does that still hold true or have times changed? 

Thanks all for the automatic advise, I haven't owned an automatic before but have driven a fair amount of them for work. I have noticed a wide variation in how good they are. Will definitely check how slow speed control is before committing to one.

Lots. 

Electrical problems

ECU problems

Clutch engagement problems

Shift quality problems

If you don't want to spend a lot of money and buy and older auto, buy a VAG or a BMW

• Like 1

The mk3 automatics were/are notorious. Take Dave’s advise, avoid them. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 8:18 PM, Alex.S said:

I get the slow speed manoeuvres issue with autos. My late mother had a grand vitara automatic, it was tricky for me as a life long manual driver. My Mk4 is my 1st automatic, I can’t comment on the mk3 autos but the Mk4 doesn’t creep at all really, parkings really easy. I couldn’t say that about the vitara or other older automatics that I’ve driven. Try before you buy ..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club