Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rubbing Sound From Rear

Phil Greg

I have a ford focus 1.8 with rear disk brakes. At low speeds I get a rotational rubbing/thumping sound that seems to come from the rear, can't tell which side. This speeds up as the car does. Sometimes it goes away. I have replaced the discs and pads but no difference. There is no play in the bearing I can detect and when I rotate wheel by hand no tight spots. I suspect it could be caused by handbreak not releasing properly or the caliper piston being stuck. Could this be a bearing? What else could it be?

Thanks for any help

I have a ford focus 1.8 with rear disk brakes. At low speeds I get a rotational rubbing/thumping sound that seems to come from the rear, can't tell which side. This speeds up as the car does. Sometimes it goes away. I have replaced the discs and pads but no difference. There is no play in the bearing I can detect and when I rotate wheel by hand no tight spots. I suspect it could be caused by handbreak not releasing properly or the caliper piston being stuck. Could this be a bearing? What else could it be?

Thanks for any help

sounds to me like you have a seized caliper? could also be the handbrake not releasing properly. did you lubricate the sliding pins on the calipers when you changed the discs/pads?

sounds to me like you have a seized caliper? could also be the handbrake not releasing properly. did you lubricate the sliding pins on the calipers when you changed the discs/pads?

I'm begining to think that could be it, one of the pistons was quite hard to screw back in. The sliders seemed ok. What could stop the hand break from releasing? Is there anything that can be done to unseize the caliper?

I'm begining to think that could be it, one of the pistons was quite hard to screw back in. The sliders seemed ok. What could stop the hand break from releasing? Is there anything that can be done to unseize the caliper?

if it was hard to screw back in that could indicate a seized handbrake mechanism inside as thats what your rewinding.

i think the only way to unseize the caliper would be to strip and rebuild it or replace it with a second hand one or recon one.

if it was hard to screw back in that could indicate a seized handbrake mechanism inside as thats what your rewinding.

i think the only way to unseize the caliper would be to strip and rebuild it or replace it with a second hand one or recon one.

Thanks

I'll look into it and let you know when I've found out.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club