Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(Working) compressor caused turnover fail?

Thomh1

So I bought my focus 2008 with the pretense that the aurcon didn't work. The previous owner had it several years and it didn't work when they got it either so it hasn't been run for years. Found out it was due to a cracked pipe which one of you heroes kindly identified for me. Replaced the pipe and got it regassed but was told I may not see much life from it as when they pressure tested they couldn't see my ac compressor kicking in at any point.  So when I ran it, the aircon was okay. Quiet fan noise and a cool breeze. That's it.  This was in early August when we had that freak heatwave. Fast forward to Friday when it was cold as f**k out and i hasn't ran my ac for over a month. I'd stupidly put the wrong hoodie on and was too hot so thought I'd turn ac on.  BOOM. It started BLASTING cold air at me. Nice bit of fan noise and loads of cold air. If the compressor wasn't working then  it must be now. Happily driving with AC on for another 10 mins then had to idle on a hill junction and end engine cuts out. I thought I'd stalled as I was riding the clutch like a tw*t rather than using my handbrake. Bear in mind tyne ac continued to blast throughout this  tried to turn her over 8 times to no avail. Decided I'd turn off the ac and try again. Three more tries and she flies into life. Ran perfectly fine after that with AC off.

SO.

A. Did my ac compressor magically start working after being off for years?

B. Would the compressor stop the engine starting, yet still be running flawlessly?

C. Do I need a new compressor, or a fuse or what?!

All advice welcome. Other than don't ride the clutch - I didn't realise that was so bad until I was looking for answers to this. Promise I'll stop that. 

8 hours ago, Thomh1 said:

B. Would the compressor stop the engine starting, yet still be running flawlessly?

Possible - once it's regassed it also contains lubricants which might have taken a while to sink in...

No, would not stop car working...

If it now works, don't fix it!

It probably just felt colder because it was cold outside.  I doubt the AC had any impact on the stall at all, you said it still took a further 3 tries before it started.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

It probably just felt colder because it was cold outside.  I doubt the AC had any impact on the stall at all, you said it still took a further 3 tries before it started.

I wasn't judging the improvement by the temperature. You could physically feel tyne fans blast was much stronger and tyne fans much louder. August ac was a cool breeze like am osolating fan on low setting while this felt like one of those cane of air you clean your keyboard out with. 

It took a few more attempts but my logic was that the ac compressor may have taken a few seconds to power down after I shut off the fans which then gave back power to the engine