Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant question

madman

Hello guys.

Car still on driveway.  Just update. 

Some garages not sure if my car has oil cooler or not, so only way could find out for sure was call fords, they confirmed it has oil cooler and it's 178 pound, called local parts store customer price 68 plus vat. Now some garages saying possibly oil cooler could be leaking, i asked wouldn't I see oil leaking/weeping from the oil cooler which sits just behind the oil filter, they said no coz leak is internal. Is this correct or pack lies they feeding me. 

What's the chances of this being oil cooler over head gasket. 

May found the reason why found coolant on floor the expansion cap seal was destroyed from the oil coolant combo..

Thanks guys

I started the car should I be concerned about car sounding rough for few seconds on start up, I switched off immediately and restarted and didn't do it. I know it's not been used for while now and lubricants have been settling and maybe if oil is in coolant could coolant be in oil and not giving the right lubrication. 

Hope everyone has good weekend

Cheers guys

Need advice guys.

Garage wants charge me about 40 to fit oil cooler on off chance it's that plus parts without any diagnostic tests. 

I can get snif test and compression test done by mobile mechanic for 40 quid. 

Mechanic has said what's the colour of coolant if it's beige brown oil the head gasket gone and if coolant is black it's the oil cooler.

Thanks guys appreciated

2 hours ago, madman said:

Garage wants charge me about 40 to fit oil cooler

£40 to fit an oil cooler in the London area !!!!    my God the guy either works fast or is on apprentice wage

Had a pressure test on head gasket cylinders thru plug wells and all have passed all within 5psi. 

Does this confirm no head gasket failure or results inconclusive

1 hour ago, madman said:

Had a pressure test on head gasket cylinders thru plug wells and all have passed all within 5psi. 

Does this confirm no head gasket failure or results inconclusive

It confirms there are no splits in the gasket through to the cylinders.  But does not mean there isn't a split between the coolant and oil ways.

Might as well risk the oil cooler now as you've started putting money into it.

• Like 2

Hello thanks for replying much appreciated.

Had a compression test passed. Sniff test next week.

He said sniff test will be what decides what it is. 

After the compression test pass he emptied coolant tank and put some green antifreeze in it.  Said drive only short trips.

I did that yesterday about mile and back. Went out car bout lunchtime to find coolant tank what's remaining of it not much looking like Mac's chocolate milkshake and most of it over the undertray of the car and driveway.

So why is it looking like chocolate milkshake we need find out?.

why is coolant keep throwing it self out i put new cap on and still doing it. 

Thanks guys for any help always appreciated. 

IMG_20211118_175412.jpg

IMG_20211118_175333.jpg

Hi guys.

Had mechanic back for sniff test the result was blue. Does that mean it ok? Blue

Started up car let it run until got to 87c and did sniff test the result was blue.  The compression test passed was within 5psi across the 4 cylinder's. 

With the expansion cap off the water was going up and down up and down he said that wasn't normal. 

He now saying new oil cooler and gasket, new oil change and coolant as the compression and sniff tests are indicating the HG fine. 

The pressure from the oil cooler is pushing up the coolant.

What you guys think any help appreciated.

Thanks

11 hours ago, madman said:

Hi guys.

Had mechanic back for sniff test the result was blue. Does that mean it ok? Blue

Started up car let it run until got to 87c and did sniff test the result was blue.  The compression test passed was within 5psi across the 4 cylinder's. 

With the expansion cap off the water was going up and down up and down he said that wasn't normal. 

He now saying new oil cooler and gasket, new oil change and coolant as the compression and sniff tests are indicating the HG fine. 

The pressure from the oil cooler is pushing up the coolant.

What you guys think any help appreciated.

Thanks

I've had a couple of coolant issues with my old 52 plate petrol Focus (which I no longer have) the first was a cracked water pump housing. Simply fixed cheaply, the second leak was much more serious about 18 months later, although I didn't get it looked at, I think it came from the water pump itself, as the coolant was disappearing at an alarming rate. I sold her on. As for the chocolate coloured coolant, that is a huge red flag. Seems like oil is getting in there. I hope someone with more knowledge and experience than me can help you out mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys thought I update.

After the mechanic tested the 4 cylinders with a compression test all passed, then a sniff test was blue passed he said was oil cooler was the issue with oil going into the coolant. 

Gave me a quote of 200 for oil cooler change and gasket, oil and oil filter and drain coolant and replace with new coolant, I said ok then.   It's now been nearly 2 weeks and I'm seeing oil in my bottle.  I spoke to ex recovery mechanic who lives by me and said he should of flushed the car at least 2-3 times by starting it up let run for 15-20 mins drain and repeat before refilling with new coolant, not just drain refill. 

What you guys think is this correct. 

Thanks

Only need to flush once but yeah I'd flush rather than just drain and refill.

Putting a crushed dishwasher tablet in there helps remove any old oil and muck as well.

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Only need to flush once but yeah I'd flush rather than just drain and refill.

Putting a crushed dishwasher tablet in there helps remove any old oil and muck as well.

That's what he said ex recovery mechanic thought he was on wind up dishwasher tablet and hot water as it's a de greaser. Also said take off the Pipes from under bulkhead the heater pipes and put hose that way like backwards water not just from coolant tank, if that makes sense

Personally I wouldn't risk disconnecting heater pipes on a car of that age incase they break or don't seal properly afterwards but yeah that's definitely one way to do it.

1 minute ago, madman said:

That's what he said ex recovery mechanic thought he was on wind up dishwasher tablet and hot water as it's a de greaser. Also said take off the Pipes from under bulkhead the heater pipes and put hose that way like backwards water not just from coolant tank, if that makes sense

At one time, before dishwashers were commonplace, some car manufacturers recommended using clothes washing powder for situations like you have. A dishwasher tablet is probably a better idea. 

21 minutes ago, Tizer said:

dishwasher tablet is probably a better idea

ST models should use tablet with "power ball" 🤣

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club