Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

DashCam deterrent, love it...

StephenFord

Yesterday I had a minor motoring incident. On pulling into the slipway off a motorway, a lovely black Mercedes pulled into the right of me and started indicating to get on the same slipway. Now to me, an indicator is just that, an indication of your intention, it does not invoke an automatic right of way. Anyway, he slowed down realising I wasn't going to make a sharp braking action just for him, got in behind me, and at the next lights, he pulled up on inside lane beside me, rolled his window down, and started giving me much verbal.

I simply held my finger up at him (backwards), the universal sign for 'could you hold on a minute?'. Then I unclipped my dashcam (magnetic mount), and pointed it right at him. He immediately shut up, and burned rubber as he sped off. Getting caught at the next lights in the wrong lane, he was indicating right, me being the bigger man (LOL), I gestured to him allowing him out in front of me.

I really do like my dash cam, cheap crap quality, but does have it's uses...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

On 10/24/2021 at 7:10 PM, StephenFord said:

Yesterday I had a minor motoring incident. On pulling into the slipway off a motorway, a lovely black Mercedes pulled into the right of me and started indicating to get on the same slipway. Now to me, an indicator is just that, an indication of your intention, it does not invoke an automatic right of way. Anyway, he slowed down realising I wasn't going to make a sharp braking action just for him, got in behind me, and at the next lights, he pulled up on inside lane beside me, rolled his window down, and started giving me much verbal.

I simply held my finger up at him (backwards), the universal sign for 'could you hold on a minute?'. Then I unclipped my dashcam (magnetic mount), and pointed it right at him. He immediately shut up, and burned rubber as he sped off. Getting caught at the next lights in the wrong lane, he was indicating right, me being the bigger man (LOL), I gestured to him allowing him out in front of me.

I really do like my dash cam, cheap crap quality, but does have it's uses...

I have just invested in two Dash cams.Garmin 67W for our Honda CRV,& a Garmin Mini 2 for the Fiesta.See how they go once fitted & up& running.The 67W also has a parking guard feature if the car is stationary & parked.Will post some pics once all is done.

1 hour ago, Hackney said:

The 67W also has a parking guard feature if the car is stationary & parked.

well that should help the battery run flat nicely 🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, unofix said:

Think they run without being plugged in with this feature.

9 hours ago, unofix said:

Parking mode is a PIA - have never used it! (see 'note')

1488652700_parkingmode.thumb.jpg.2a5cef78cf2dcd09f8bef5b18740a3e0.jpg

Hi Stephen, does that mean that this type of dashcam has two supplies, one a constant 12V and the second switched via the ignition ?

Over the years I have fitted probably more than 50 dashcams of at least 4 different makes but they have all only had one supply. If the parking mode was intended to be used then the camera had to remain 'live' albeit the display could be turned off, and they would kind of enter a sleep mode. Never has anyone wanted the camera installed that way and so have only ever connected them via an ignition controlled circuit.

My dashcam has the parking mode it's a Toguard. Even if the door is slammed to hard it starts recording. It has a built in rechargeable battery, which is charged every time you use the car, so no need for a second supply.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Janner7859 said:

It has a built in rechargeable battery, which is charged every time you use the car, so no need for a second supply.

I did wounder about it having a battery that could power it.

The 4 different makes I've used over the years have had a small built in battery that only lasted about 3 minutes after the ignition went off. I think the purpose was to ensure a controlled switch off of the dashcam.

BlackVue sell a unit called power magic which allows the camera to work in parking mode but, monitors the battery and turns off the supply if it drops below a set voltage. It can be used on other cameras. Been fine on my car which only gets used once or twice a week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Hi Stephen, does that mean that this type of dashcam has two supplies, one a constant 12V and the second switched via the ignition ?

The dashcam (NextBase) just has the one power supply, and a built in rechargeable battery - nothing fancy LOL

• Thanks 1

This happened about three years ago......A local had a dashcam, front & back cameras, bragging it was the top of the range setup and to help him if anything happens out on the road, also had 24hr recording mode to catch any wrong doings, only a few days in in owning it, he hears a car alarm going off, he decided go for a look, his car door is wide it had been broken into, some ***** had nicked his full dashcam system......

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have submitted 5 examples to the police and all of them resulted in prosecutions.

I have the VIOFO A119 V3 in front and back,had them for years and always A1 and hidden away nice.

Saying that, it helped me out once on a petrol garage where i finished filling up and started to turn right from the pump (wheel turned full right so sticking out) and out of know where this golf come on the garage and the side of be and bang i hit his wing but reaction was good as i just could see him coming and stopped.

Put a very slight dent in my driver's arch and electric mirror folded right back but all worked after,got out and said (can't repeat what i said) and my dashcam caught the side of him and back one caught him speeding onto the forecourt as he was going to the Garage shop as he was coming round me to park,my wheel put a massive dent in his wing so my wheel saved the day and mine was very minor,he was mouthing off so i just showed him the cameras and said you should not speed onto the garage  i can take it further if you want, he jumped in his car a spun off fast.

Would not be without one.

• Like 1

is it better to get one wired into car or get one that plugs into cigarette lighter what is good make?

thanks

27 minutes ago, alan daniels said:

is it better to get one wired into car or get one that plugs into cigarette lighter what is good make?

thanks

There are many good brands on the market.Really depends on what appeals to you..Garmin,Blackvue are very good.I purchased two Garmin dash cams.Garmin 67W & a Garmin Mini 2.Recommend also getting getting it wired into your mirror(if your mirror is auto dimming) there is a cable from ‘Dongar Technologies’  that connects up to the mirror from your cam.They have quite a few available for different pin connections & vehicle makes.I just ran my cable up through the headlining, down the A pillar & up under the dash, all very neat.You can them hard wired in though.Good luck.

2 hours ago, alan daniels said:

thanks

Mine is plugged into a simple accessory socket, doesn't have to dangle over dash board and look untidy! Wire is tucked into headlining and down A pillar...

IMG_20210909_075727.thumb.jpg.fc9df8313bdaa04e70ad2c9e115f2df9.jpg

1634818115_dashcamsocket.thumb.jpg.21641e176aabfbf7256ca70bbba9ea8c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a front/ rear Nextbase one.  Wife got it from Halfords and had them fit it.  Nice neat job,  never had an issue and parking mode caught next door druggie scum dropping his silly scooter thing onto my wing, denting it.

Id never be without one now.  People say about your insurance checking them and upping premiums due to your driving but stick to limits,  drive correctly and there's no problem. 

3 minutes ago, Peloquin138 said:

... but stick to limits,  drive correctly and there's no problem. 

You iron your jeans with a nice crease, right? LOL

• Haha 2

Hi. 

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer premium discounts for the fitment of a HD dash cam.

Regards,

Dan.

17 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi. 

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer premium discounts for the fitment of a HD dash cam.

Regards,

Dan.

Do you need to supply 'proof of fitment'?

14 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Do you need to supply 'proof of fitment'?

Send a photo of it.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club