Do Not Sell My Personal Information

rear subframe woes - Mk2

StephenFord

Left car in today as it just didn't feel right. He diagnosed a bit of play in the steering rack, nothing major and nothing that would fail an MOT, but when he parked car up in forecourt, he noticed car wasn't sitting right. On putting it up on ramp again, diagnosed a badly corroded rear subframe.  Anyway, he has sourced a used subframe to be collected tomorrow, which he'll pressure wash and see if it's good enough to replace. Will swap over my brakes which are in decent condition.

The joys of keeping an old banger on the road LOL

Can you supply photo of the bit  that went so others know exactly where it might be vulnerable to this

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Left car in today as it just didn't feel right. He diagnosed a bit of play in the steering rack, nothing major and nothing that would fail an MOT, but when he parked car up in forecourt, he noticed car wasn't sitting right. On putting it up on ramp again, diagnosed a badly corroded rear subframe.  Anyway, he has sourced a used subframe to be collected tomorrow, which he'll pressure wash and see if it's good enough to replace. Will swap over my brakes which are in decent condition.

The joys of keeping an old banger on the road LOL

Not good well at least it's getting fixed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, isetta said:

Can you supply photo of the bit  that went so others know exactly where it might be vulnerable to this

Shouldn't be a problem when I eventually pick the car up, he often keeps the bits for me to show how bad they were LOL

• Like 1

Picked car up today and she feels great. I also posted a recent query on 'tracking' as my steering wheel was about 20 degrees off center - now, totally cured! The old subframe was that corroded & weak, that it exaggerated the negative camber giving the symptom of wonky tracking. My 'guys' opinion was I was 2 potholes away from a car collapse LOL Here are some pics of the old frame...

IMG_20211110_134559.thumb.jpg.4aa92ba9d7cd5f34efffb67ef3600f6b.jpg

IMG_20211110_134513.thumb.jpg.5889079d247dd5ff5f9b6351d4738bc0.jpg

IMG_20211110_134525.thumb.jpg.f9338d9188c85470e003e52a3bd08153.jpg

IMG_20211110_134532.thumb.jpg.3730b567734a6f2f6c3a3a882fa37d1e.jpg

IMG_20211110_134611.thumb.jpg.b52d3390d9b8c7c12534015aa2aa47eb.jpg

Replacement now on car...

replacement.thumb.jpg.a4efb1e5c9af19ba62391fb488df8095.jpg

724757206_newsubframe.thumb.jpg.939658670f23694b82854e4f7cea7d52.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

The old subframe was that corroded & weak

It's not that bad !!

Loads of miles left in that yet, you just wanted to waste money. you young yuppie 🤣

• Haha 4

Makes you wonder how it passed its last MOT without even an advisory.

6 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Makes you wonder how it passed its last MOT without even an advisory.

Well, the last MOT was 12 weeks ago, alot can happen in 12 weeks 🤣

• Haha 1

That is quite scary TBH one hard turn and the rest could of ripped off.

To be fair to my guy, once he had diagnosed the issue, he said he wouldn't let me drive the car again till it was repaired! Must admit, the drive home was fabulous, the car just felt so tight compared to what it was like, and such a joy having the steering wheel point straight ahead in the same direction as the car!.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

To be fair to my guy, once he had diagnosed the issue, he said he wouldn't let me drive the car again till it was repaired! Must admit, the drive home was fabulous, the car just felt so tight compared to what it was like, and such a joy having the steering wheel point straight ahead in the same directions as the car!.

Great to have somebody who can diagnose things properly and looked out for you safety. I used to love it when I added new suspension stuff/ bushes to my old car it would feel better each time.

• Like 1

What was the cost to your wallet if you don't mind me asking, it looks like a big job?

What was the cost to your wallet if you don't mind me asking, it looks like a big job?

I'm very lucky, I've had the same garage for 15 years, and he's the best I've ever used. Really meticulous, and a real petrolhead who has his own 2 x rally cars which he races. He sourced the replacement subframe (he has contacts everywhere!), picked it up, pressure washed it, had it wire brushed, and painted it. Then he mixed and matched the rear brakes making sure the best bits from both were used. (Dropped me home and collected me). £300 all in! There's an advantage not living in a big city LOL

• Like 3

Sounds like you need to keep that guy on your side!  I'd hate to think of all the cars that get scrapped unnecessarily because people go to the main dealer and the quotes come in more than the value of the car, when all they need is someone like that who can find the right solution at the right price.  I know you will say that £300 is more than the value of your car, but a replacement isn't so still worth keeping it on the road for a few more years.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, south_bound said:

I know you will say that £300 is more than the value of your car, but a replacement isn't so still worth keeping it on the road for a few more years.

Also, isn't that the ultimate in recycling, rather than buying a new car LOL St Greta would be proud of me (not!) 🤣

• Like 1

Yeah but its dirty petrol so best chuck it into a landfill.  Then you go out and get a new one from dug up iron ore for the chassis, lithium for the batteries, oil to make the plastics and just plug it in to feel so good about yourself.

• Haha 3