Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiper settings

MrRedman

Hi Guys when I put the wipers on the first setting after intermittent sometimes they go on intermittent setting,I have read the book and it says it will do something like this but to me it’s irritating as when it rains harder /drive faster the setting does not change back to a regular wipe , am I missing something? 

Sounds to me like you have a faulty wiper switch.

The positions starting from Off and going up are: (1) Intermittent (2) continuous - normal speed (3) continuous - fast speed.

On some cars pushing the wiper switch down from the off position gives you a wipe for as long as you hold the switch down.

If when you select position (2) it then sometimes goes back to intermittent, I would be checking out the wiper switch.

• Like 1

Assuming it's a Mk3 without auto-wipers, then the speed-sensitive wipe is normal. 

It slows the wipers when you slow to a crawl in traffic, but they should speed up again when you speed up, may take a few seconds for it to notice though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrRedman said:

Hi Guys when I put the wipers on the first setting after intermittent sometimes they go on intermittent setting,I have read the book and it says it will do something like this but to me it’s irritating as when it rains harder /drive faster the setting does not change back to a regular wipe , am I missing something? 

on the Mk2.5 the very same wiper stalk is used for Auto wipers or the lower spec intermittent wipers.

if you have a self dimming interior mirror and auto lights - you get auto wipers - the switch operates as manual or auto.  In auto with the twiddly knob within the arm acts as a sensitivity adjuster... but it appears to operate "back to front" from the speed change of intermittent wipe.

On intermittent wipe cars, anti-clock is short wipe delay, fully clockwise is long delay...

On Auto wipe, anti-clock is high sensitivity, AKA little rain before it wipes and fully clockwise is less sensitive to rain)

I may have muddled that, but the principles in play are sound....  If its in Auto position, and its an early sensor, a nasty after-market screen , a dirty screen or the wrong type of rain - move it to manual.  In my experience its a bit naff... AKA its crap in the rain, OK-ish when you get your head round the sensitivity bit for light drizzle. 

When I added auto wipers to her's she wanted to beat me to death and turn it off... But 6 months in she worked it out and doesn't mention it ever.

FYI they make an owners manual - its worth a read....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club