Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on mew car purchase please

Focus Newbie

Hello all. I’ve decided to upgrade my 2010 1.6 TDCI zetec after 5 years of it giving me faithful service (and a number of bits needing to be done on it soon before the next mot which is next month - eek!).

I have found 2 nice newer 1.5 petrol ecoboost st line cars but have some reservations. The first is a dec 2017 - mark 3 with only 11k on clock. Looking at service history its done 2k on Jan 2019 serviceanother 2k on Jan 2020 service and then another 7k but not serviced until Nov 21 (almost 2 years). So I’m thinking shorter journeys….

second one is a 2019 mark 4 new shape - 1.5 petrol st line - registered May 2019. Lovely lovely car to drive, some new toys for me (driving modes etc) it’s done 27.5k. First service there is any record of is the one done by the current garage selling it - done in sept this year. Apparently the new cars have digital service and Ford don’t have any record of any previous service and there is no paperwork to suggest a previous service. My local dealership tell me the first service for that car is scheduled at 2 years or 18k miles. Garage selling it can’t find any record of previous service and neither can my Ford garage (and no paperwork to suggest it’s been serviced before). Worst case scenario it’s only ever been serviced a few months ago at 2 and bit years old and 27.5k miles. Really like this one as it feels like an upgrade on my car but worried about the fact it may have gone over 2 years and done 27.5k miles before it’s first service. Would you walk away in that scenario or not give it too much thought - or go for the first one (which is also nice but feels like a newer version of what I already have rather than an upgrade…… Would the additional 9k miles since it should have been serviced (assuming it hadn’t been) likely cause significant damage?

Total newbie question I know. Thanks in advance

Mechanically, missing the first service shouldn't be a massive issue, especially if no problems were picked up at the last service. From a warranty standpoint it might be a bit trickier if you have to make a claim for something, but I wouldn't let that put me off. 

Mechanically, missing the first service shouldn't be a massive issue, especially if no problems were picked up at the last service. From a warranty standpoint it might be a bit trickier if you have to make a claim for something, but I wouldn't let that put me off. 

👍🏻 Thanks erictcleric! Ford have said balance of manufacturer warranty transfers over and anything non-service related would automatically be covered, but they reserve the right to reject any claim service related as the first service was late (in time and mileage). I am not at all mechanically minded so don’t know if missing first service by 9k miles is likely to mean the engine is going to go bang or if it’s not that big a deal (although not ideal - and of course not something to keep doing….). Much appreciated - thanks for taking the time to reply

mew car purchase please

Don't get one with a Cat Lick converter 🤣

• Haha 4

The service interval for the Mk4 is 2 years or 18000 miles but there is an oil Life counter as well and even if it did make it to the 2 years/18000 miles without needing an oil change, it is unlikely to have made it to 27000 miles on the original oil. There was a paper service book with these cars as well and personally I would be suspicious if that was missing, everyone I know keeps them in the glovebox and there is no reason to throw them away unless there is some GDPR reason for doing so now.

Whether that is important to you or not is up to you and may depend on how long you are keeping the car, how much cheaper it is compared to one with a service history and whether you are worried about any future warranty work.

The 2 year service is just an Oil and Pollen filter change and they are supposed to take all the wheels off to inspect the Brakes, not much more than that. The 4 year one also includes a Spark Plug change.

The new 1.5 engine in the Mk4 is a good engine, the same Torque as your TDCI bit much faster, I also came from a 2010 TDCI.

Fuel consumption is not as good, I'm only doing short journeys now and averaging 43 mpg since new, which is about 10 less than my TDCI but I was doing longer commutes when I had that although I did not hang about on the Motorway then.

mew car purchase please

Don't get one with a Cat Lick converter 🤣

🤣

The service interval for the Mk4 is 2 years or 18000 miles but there is an Oil Life counter as well and even if it did make it to the 2 years/18000 miles without needing an Oil change, it is unlikely to have made it to 27000 miles on the original Oil. There was a paper Service book with these cars as well and personally I would be suspicious if that was missing, everyone I know keeps them in the glovebox and there is no reason to throw them away unless there is some GDPR reason for doing so now.

Whether that is important to you or not is up to you and may depend on how long you are keeping the car, how much cheaper it is compared to one with a service history and whether you are worried about any future warranty work.

The 2 year service is just an Oil and Pollen filter change and they are supposed to take all the wheels off to inspect the Brakes, not much more than that. The 4 year one also includes a Spark Plug change.

The new 1.5 engine in the Mk4 is a good engine, the same Torque as your TDCI bit much faster, I also came from a 2010 TDCI.

Fuel consumption is not as good, I'm only doing short journeys now and averaging 43 mpg since new, which is about 10 less than my TDCI but I was doing longer commutes when I had that although I did not hang about on the Motorway then.

Hi Tizer, the selling dealership claims the car didn’t come with a service book it is all electronic (my dealership who I spoke to this morning said that’s right no service book all electronic - who knows…). I’m buying from a Vauxhall dealer. Worst case - it hadn’t had a service until the current dealership took it in. I figured some sort of oil light would have come on, and who buys a new car but doesn’t get it serviced. But again who knows, as I say worst case it’s only been serviced once by current dealership. It was a really nice drive - and certainly shifted quicker than my car. I’ve managed to get a good deal on it - especially as it was advertised as having full service history- which it clearly doesn’t. Might just bite the bullet and risk it for a biscuit 

My Focus Mk4 March 2019 has a paper service book.

But I'm sure your mew car will be purrfect 🎉

• Haha 1

My Focus Mk4 March 2019 has a paper service book.

But I'm sure your mew car will be purrfect 🎉

Interesting - maybe they just tried to blag it and didn’t think I’d check up on the service history - or they have lost it, never got it, or it’s in the glove box….. as I’m assuming the 18K service wasn’t done I’m not sure lack of service book is a huge problem as long as I keep receipts (I generally use Ford for my services anyway so it will show on their system as well). Thanks for the reply - I wish I could edit the title of the topic now or that my fingers weren’t so fat (iPhone keypad so small). 🤣🤣🤣🤣

For the 27k one - or both, really - have a look at the oil - if its treacle, just about reaches the bottom of the dipstick etc. reject. Also run your finger around the inside of the oil fillr hole and have a good look at the underside of the filler cap, looking for mayonnaise.

On 11/15/2021 at 5:32 PM, RMurphy195 said:

For the 27k one - or both, really - have a look at the oil - if its treacle, just about reaches the bottom of the dipstick etc. reject. Also run your finger around the inside of the oil fillr hole and have a good look at the underside of the filler cap, looking for mayonnaise.

Thanks mate - on the 27K one they had recently done a service so I imagine it would have been clean anyway. In the end I walked away from that one. As much as it was a very nice car (2019 - new shape) the fact it looked like it only had one service ever at current mileage, and the fact they said one previous owner (which turned out to be one previous to the current - so I would be owner number 3) put me right off. I questioned the ‘one previous owner’ statement on the advert and they said - “yes one previous to the current” - to which I asked, by that rational - if it had one owner from new would you advertise it as 0 previous owners? I ended up buying the 2017 one with 11k on the clock and that dealership were on the level and seemed so much more trustworthy and sincere. 

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and help, really appreciate your advice and time. Looking forward to playing with the new car!

6 hours ago, Focus Newbie said:

I questioned the ‘one previous owner’ statement on the advert and they said - “yes one previous to the current” - to which I asked, by that rational - if it had one owner from new would you advertise it as 0 previous owners?

Yes.  That is exactly the difference between 'one owner from new' and 'one previous owner'. :smile: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes.  That is exactly the difference between 'one owner from new' and 'one previous owner'. :smile: 

Lives and learns. The car I bought also advertised with 1 previous owner and actually has one previous owner - I am owner number 2. I get it’s a play on words but there must be people who get caught out especially with these car buying sites like cinch and cazoo etc where you don’t often have a dealership to go to and check paperwork. 

4 minutes ago, Focus Newbie said:

it’s a play on words

I once bought a brand new (only 4 miles on the clock) pre-registered Kuga from a Ford Main Dealer, and so I was owner number 2.  The V5c document showing that the car had one previous owner, 'the garage'. I already knew that this would be the case but the almost £4000 saving made the deal worth wile.

• Like 2

Yes, it's a minefield unless you can get a look at the paperwork. Another complication as @unofix says is "pre-reg" cars which have been registered by the dealer for some reason - manufacturer bonuses, or impending regulation which would prevent them being sold new after a certain date.

My Mrs has one. It was registered by the dealer just prior to TPMS becoming mandatory and had 7 miles on the clock - which she had done anyway on the test drive! It will still be "one previous owner" when we come to sell it, but it was a very good deal at the time and I doubt it will make any difference by then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Focus Newbie said:

Lives and learns. The car I bought also advertised with 1 previous owner and actually has one previous owner - I am owner number 2. I get it’s a play on words but there must be people who get caught out especially with these car buying sites like cinch and cazoo etc where you don’t often have a dealership to go to and check paperwork. 

I agree it's a bit of a cheeky tactic intended to catch people out.  But grammatically the 'current' owner can't also be considered as a 'previous' owner so that is the correct version.

Then there's used pre-reg's which can be listed as 'one owner' despite having two on the V5.  And 'one family owned' which means passed between family members.  One owner can also have been a hire car company...so hundreds of drivers!  

• Like 1

And what about company cars -could be one driver who was sensible, one driver who abused it because he did not own it or 100 drivers because it was a pool car which is possibly worse than a hire care (as pool car drivers don’t lose any deposit)

I always thought that first owners were either the vicars wife or Jane Marple 🤣

• Haha 1

I checked on the V5 if it was a garage that pre registered it but alas it wasn’t. You are right about pool cars etc all of which is why I went for the one I went for. Lesson learnt from my side - always check V5 (and service history). 

On 11/10/2021 at 11:01 PM, Focus Newbie said:

Interesting - maybe they just tried to blag it and didn’t think I’d check up on the service history - or they have lost it, never got it, or it’s in the glove box….. as I’m assuming the 18K service wasn’t done I’m not sure lack of service book is a huge problem as long as I keep receipts (I generally use Ford for my services anyway so it will show on their system as well). Thanks for the reply - I wish I could edit the title of the topic now or that my fingers weren’t so fat (iPhone keypad so small). 🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's funny how they can't find any service records for when you want to purchase the car, but the minute something goes wrong they'll be able to prove it missed first service and refuse to pay. Walk away.

• Like 1

If the car has been serviced by an independent garage then the garage selling it can't pass on the " service history records" due to the data protection laws. If the service book is available and stamped then they can pass it on. 

As for warranty it would run out in May next year so you would be looking at getting your own warranty or perhaps seeing if Ford would extend the warranty obviously at your cost.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 12:01 PM, DaveT70 said:

It's funny how they can't find any service records for when you want to purchase the car, but the minute something goes wrong they'll be able to prove it missed first service and refuse to pay. Walk away.

Hi mate - spot on. Assured me it would be on the FordPass app - which it wasn’t, and no record of any service other than the one the selling garage had done. Together with the ‘one previous owner’ shenanigans I didn’t walk away - I took my deposit back and ran away. They were fine about it so there was no drama - the phrase I used was ‘I wouldn’t say you knowingly misrepresented the car but you certainly did misrepresent the car’. Ended up buying a late reg 2017 st line , so not the newest shape, 11K on the clock - one owner from new. Now I just need to get used to driving a petrol car again after so long driving a diesel (gear changing in lower revs is a habit I’m currently trying to break)…..

• Like 2