Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.4 TDCI DuraTorQ Injection/glow plugs loom.

YBTURBO

Hi guys so I've recently got myself a 07 plate 1.4 TDCI fiesta, and would you believe it I'm getting injector issues.

So long story short i was getting intermittent power issues and coughing, OBD code p0203 and p1203.

After some looking came to the many posts about the wiring loom but not any about if it was fixed or how.

My loom has damage on the glow plug wires, managed to find a 2nd hand one on eBay but to get new it would

have been £399.96 from Ford as a full engine loom. So I'm going to document what I'm doing with mine and the

outcomes as i do them. 2nd hand loom should be here monday.

Also if there is someone on here with serious connector knowledge I'm also thinking of making the loom.

(if i can identify the connectors)

I've already tested and got the pin out for the multi connector so just need to know

what connector it is and what connectors are on the injectors,glow plugs and sensor.

Jump in here guys and gals and let me know all the reasons I'm mad and crazy "or"

throw me some helpful info :)

Injector loom pin out 1.4tdci duratorq 2007.png

• Like 1

I've got a 2009 1.4 tdci and I had serious issues with this connector, one of the tabs that the grey sliding latch locks into was snapped, couldn't find a replacement at a reasonable price so tried securing it with cable ties to stop the pins seperaing which didn't work, I eventually found one in a local scrap yard and they only charged £10 for it! 

• Like 1

I've had to go down a much more expensive route due to having to get it from eBay and none in any of the scrap yards near me. but like i say I'm planning on trying to get the connectors to custom make a new loom even after the replacement gets here. they seem to be a common problem so wouldn't be bad to try find a way to sort it.

the injector plugs, sensor plug and glow plug plugs should be easy enough to get hold of its the multi port that is going to be the pain. but all else fails im not against removing the other side of it and replacing that with another type of multi plug.

like i said in original post im open to all advice on this one due to seeing so many people reporting the issues but not ever seeing anyone report a fix.

• Like 1

If you get stuck and want me to, I can check local scrap yards near me and post to you, I'm offering because mine was an absolute nightmare to get hold of! 

• Like 2

i got one coming on monday from eBay. but should it fail im planning on trying to get whats needed to make a loom thanks for the offer though nice to know there are still people out there willing to try help others. if i cant get the 15 pin round multi plug (more than 15 but 15 in use) i'll split it to an 8 pin for injectors, 4 pin for the glow plugs and 3 pin for the sensor. also can someone enlighten me on what the sensor is it connects too, red plug near middle of the block on gearbox side.

• Like 1

I can't remember what it connects to but it was an absolute *swear word* to fit on my MK7, had to remove the passenger headlight! I think the MK7 loom is slightly different though, I'm sure the MK6 splits and you can remove injectors & glow plugs seperately. 

• Like 1

when i get a chance i'll post a pic of the one from my mk6 its a large round multi plug to connect it to the main loom, then its the injectors, glow plugs and a red connector going to a sensor of some sort. all a single piece being one of the things im thinking of changing if i end up making a loom. separate them to make it easier should something on there need changing/repairing in the future. the sensor plug was a nightmare to get off coolant lines and gear linkage cables in the way. only managed to get it off with endoscope to see what i was doing and got a pic tool in there.

• Like 1

When I was looking for one for my car I found one where the glow plugs & injectors can seperate, I'm sure it was the MK6 engine, unless maybe it was an earlier revision. 

• Like 1

here's the one from mine.🙂 where they all join the multi plug is molded and the lack of wrap on the glow plugs is where i took it off, found bare wires under it.

the loom i took off.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, I'm curious how you ended up finding the loom to be the culprit, did you test the injectors? I have the same car 08 plate and had the same issue except I had to put a new injector in which got it out of limp mode after which it was still running badly with low power in 2nd and 3rd gear which corrected itself when I cleaned the egr valve and ran some Wynns total cleaner through the fuel system. Now I'm wondering if theres a common issue from that loom which may be why the injector went in the first place. 

Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, YBTURBO said:

here's the one from mine.🙂 where they all join the multi plug is molded and the lack of wrap on the glow plugs is where i took it off, found bare wires under it.

the loom i took off.jpg

Looks the same as mine, I'm sure I seen one where the glow plugs could come off the loom with a connector but it could've been a DIY job. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MancMenace said:

Hi, I'm curious how you ended up finding the loom to be the culprit, did you test the injectors? I have the same car 08 plate and had the same issue except I had to put a new injector in which got it out of limp mode after which it was still running badly with low power in 2nd and 3rd gear which corrected itself when I cleaned the egr valve and ran some Wynns total cleaner through the fuel system. Now I'm wondering if theres a common issue from that loom which may be why the injector went in the first place. 

Thanks in advance.

i dont KNOW its deffo the wiring yet it could very well also be the injector. i suspected the loom due to so many people also saying the loom was the issue with theirs and its the start of a process of elimination. also the fault codes i was getting lean towards an electrical fault and i found "some" bare wires on my loom. but the bottom line of it all is until the new loom gets here monday i cant confirm that is the main issue and also why im going to document it as im changing things so others have something to try help with.

• Like 1

Thats fair.

If I were you while you have the fuel filter housing off I would take the motor off the top of the egr valve that sits just underneath the fuel filter and give the valve a good clean. Its pretty easy just 3x 5mm bolts will release the motor, check the motors mechanism and give it a bit of a clean and then clean inside the valve, just remove the guides and clean everywhere you can and check the spindle moves freely, I used wd40 and it worked well. You may not need to but it does seem like a common issue especially on cars that don't do much motorway mileage so you may as well check while your able to easily access it.

Im gonna strip mine back again soon to add a blanking plate which I've drilled a 7mm hole in to act more as a restrictor rather than a full blank off, satisfying any sensors with some gasses and hopefully all mots since its not actually been removed neither physically nor from the brain.

Hope your loom is the cause since you managed to get a cheap one, my injector cost me £200, if I needed more than one the car would of been better off scrapped.

Good luck 🤞

59 minutes ago, MancMenace said:

Thats fair.

If I were you while you have the fuel filter housing off I would take the motor off the top of the egr valve that sits just underneath the fuel filter and give the valve a good clean. Its pretty easy just 3x 5mm bolts will release the motor, check the motors mechanism and give it a bit of a clean and then clean inside the valve, just remove the guides and clean everywhere you can and check the spindle moves freely, I used wd40 and it worked well. You may not need to but it does seem like a common issue especially on cars that don't do much motorway mileage so you may as well check while your able to easily access it.

Im gonna strip mine back again soon to add a blanking plate which I've drilled a 7mm hole in to act more as a restrictor rather than a full blank off, satisfying any sensors with some gasses and hopefully all mots since its not actually been removed neither physically nor from the brain.

Hope your loom is the cause since you managed to get a cheap one, my injector cost me £200, if I needed more than one the car would of been better off scrapped.

Good luck 🤞

fuel filter housing is still on just loose at moment i managed to get the loom off without removing the usual bits. i will however be removing them all again should i need to change the injector and in that case i will deffo get to it normally i would blank them off but i've only had the car a month or so and im working through known issues before i try looking for new ones 🙂

like i said though i will keep updating whats going on and whats being done and what the outcome was/is. and either way im looking into making a custom loom due to the MANY known problems with the ones used.

• Like 1

ok so quick update, i havent got/tried the new loom section yet but i have now got forscan and a OBD adapter. got me a nice list of fault codes that i HAVENT cleared yet.

P0203-70

P0193-60

P0238-E0

P0101-E0

P0238-P

B1318

some if not most will no doubt be old codes from killing the battery and taking off sensors but when i get the new loom section i will pop it on and clear the codes. After doing that i will re-scan the car and see what still shows up. i'll then re-post on here with what codes stayed, and what the car is or isnt doing.

• Like 1

update time, top loom has been cleaned up and tested and all seems fine, injector has now been changed but still the same as soon as it starts go's into limp mode with 1203, next step will be to try and work out the route the wires take from the top loom to where ever they go.

after clearing the code's only code i have now is P1203, if anyone has any ideas on what else i could look at I'll get to it as soon as i can. my main problem at moment is weather and time. i work 2am until 11 -12 ish so only got couple of hours each day weather permitting.

• Like 1

Dont quote me on it but perhaps directly to the ecu and regardless it may be worth having a good look at all the connections to the ecu before you start your process of elimination.

yeah im thinking prob straight to ECU but then that brings the question of what pins, being a ford/pug collaboration all the injector wires are black and brown so no way without the pin out for me to work out what wires it is. im trying to find a wiring diagram of some sort or someone who knows before i go trying to dig too deep into the loom. my next real chance to try look at it all will be on saturday due to the hours i work but no matter what happens i will keep this updated.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 9:11 PM, YBTURBO said:

yeah im thinking prob straight to ECU but then that brings the question of what pins,

Car circuit diagrams are like gold nuggets, very, very rare! By a miracle, the Focus Mk2/2a/3 diagrams are on this site, and I do have a few bits of Fiesta information, but very little. All I could find was an ECU drawing for a 2008 Petrol engine, no use here!

Common rail injectors are pretty much always wired direct to the ECU, usually with twisted wire pairs, due to the voltages and high speed pulses needed. So testing the circuit from the ECU connector seems the next step. Bit of a pain as there is usually a security bolt to remove. But if you can get it removed:

With one multimeter probe in the (unplugged) plug of a working injector, step through all ECU pins to try to find the continuity. Then try adjacent pins with other injector plugs to see if there is a pattern to them, there usually is. It should be possible to home in on the suspect injector connections.  

It seems to be quite a common problem. I tried helping on a thread in 2006. The thread OP said that after clearing codes, the P1203 error comes back right away regardless of if the car has been driven (started?) or not. That would certainly indicate an electrical fault in the circuit rather than a performance problem with the injector or anything else.

You may have seen the thread, it fizzled out rather, without a conclusion, as so many do!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Car circuit diagrams are like gold nuggets, very, very rare! By a miracle, the Focus Mk2/2a/3 diagrams are on this site, and I do have a few bits of Fiesta information, but very little. All I could find was an ECU drawing for a 2008 Petrol engine, no use here!

Common rail injectors are pretty much always wired direct to the ECU, usually with twisted wire pairs, due to the voltages and high speed pulses needed. So testing the circuit from the ECU connector seems the next step. Bit of a pain as there is usually a security bolt to remove. But if you can get it removed:

With one multimeter probe in the (unplugged) plug of a working injector, step through all ECU pins to try to find the continuity. Then try adjacent pins with other injector plugs to see if there is a pattern to them, there usually is. It should be possible to home in on the suspect injector connections.  

It seems to be quite a common problem. I tried helping on a thread in 2006. The thread OP said that after clearing codes, the P1203 error comes back right away regardless of if the car has been driven (started?) or not. That would certainly indicate an electrical fault in the circuit rather than a performance problem with the injector or anything else.

You may have seen the thread, it fizzled out rather, without a conclusion, as so many do!

Hi Peter, i have ordered a noid light set that is due to come tomorrow so fingers crossed that will help confirm it. i also get the error code back instantly after clearing with 2 diff injectors so at a guess im suspecting wiring. i have a thread going about what i have been doing and will continue to update it as i get a chance. but any help is always appreciated. as for getting to the ecu im not against drilling or cutting the security bolts to get the unit off should i need too, if it comes to that i will also take pics to add to the other thread so people can see whats being done. dont suppose you know what gauge cables are used as if it comes to it i would rather cut and resolder new cables then try pull them from the main loom where ever they may go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YBTURBO said:

dont suppose you know what gauge cables are used

Not for sure about the 1.4, but the 1.8 also used Siemens (Piezo) Injectors and Siemens ECU, and this uses 1.5mm^2, twisted pairs. A scan through the Focus drawing shows the 1.6 & 2.0 also use the same type of cable, even though the engines & looms are totally different. So it seems to be the common size.

That is the heaviest gauge wire used on the engine looms (apart from starter/alternator of course), so it seems Ford take the injector signals seriously, they are as mean as possible with copper! It is expensive & heavy.

• Like 1

ok so as promised time for an update, got home from work this morning and no delivery of the noid light set 😞

so did i give up and wait, you guessed it nope i got out there and got on a mission so here's the story so far.

popped the obd reader in and forscan, run check and there was my p1203

cleared the codes and rescanned without starting and it stayed clear. started the car and boom there it was.

then i removed the connector on cylinder 3 and as suspected only code that came back was p1203.

not wanting to do this without looking more into it i popped the connector back on cylinder 3 and removed the connector from cylinder 2 while doing that i also twisted the wires on the back of the multiplug on the harness to see if i could spot any issues. (this is where things got interesting)

cleared codes and started the car and only had a code for p1202!!! does this mean cylinder 3 injector is working, almost i'll keep explaining lol

so interested in the change of code i went back under the hood and gently lifter the air box not to move any of the main loom and pushed the connector back on cylinder 2

cleared the codes and started up, boom it has life. now it was still lumpy but clearly running on all 4 and no limp mode or codes to fight with.

i had another injector here so decided to swap out injector from cylinder 3 anyway and tore down part of the loom.

what i found in there was not great to say the least, tape and shrink tube everywhere and even some hot glue or resin of some kind.

re-wrapped the cables with loom tape and put everything back together. seems to be running fine and smooth now.

so im thinking the injector wasnt the best but there's almost a certain thing the wiring is messed up so my plan is to try get a 2nd hand loom and rewire it before changing it.

i took a couple of pics of forscan not too useful to me but maybe they will make sense to one of you guys

forscan 2.jpg

forscan1.jpg

• Like 3

That's the layout and pinout of the mk6 injection/glow plug/sensor top loom section. if/when i manage to get a 2nd hand full engine loom i will make diagram's and such of the entire loom.

mk6 fiesta 1.4tdci top injection loom.png

• Like 1

well i said i would keep this going with anything that go's on or i get done so here's the latest update.

car "was" running great until yesterday when it had a couple of cough's on me. nothing serious at that point was showing up as sticking EGR so that will be cleaned hopefully on the weekend. however last night on way to work it coughed at me then threw me into limp mode, so what i done was pull over and pull the big round multi plug off the sprayed it with some contact cleaner (again) and cleared the light it hasnt been back on since and seems good again.

so my conclusion is the internals on the multi plug are where the issue is.

for anyone following the error that put it in limp this time was p1201 so same error diff cylinder.

my next course of action while im still trying to get a full loom is to see if i can get a 8 pin male/female connector a 4 pin and a 3 pin. then im cutting out the round connector and re-wiring it into separate connectors. as always will update here with anything i do.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club