Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Tyre Pressures

HRF1T2020

Hi a question on pressures

My Fiesta 2018 1.1 zetec has 195/60/r15 88v tyres fitted

On board computer shows when cold 29psi front 28psi back

Now I know cold is when to check tyres and when driven the pressures increase

My pressures for front are low I guess because of the colder weather we now have in November but back are higher

The label on car shows front should be 30psi and back 26psi though also shows 30psi & 29psi

30psi seems hi as my front tyre already looks like early signs if wear in the middle more than the edges

So what is the best to set at, I'm guessing the label on the car, so when cold top up fronts to 30psi and reduce backs to 26psi?

Luckily at work we have a compressor and tyre guage so can do tyres when cold

What do others here run there tyres at will add mostly only one person in car with better half in as well at weekends and 40mile roundtrips each week day

Thanks

_20211116_104520.JPG

_20211116_142602.JPG

I just go 30 PSI all round, I did used to do 30 front 29 at the back but i didnt see any difference.

Only me in the car and i only do 20 miles twice a week. I have the same car but have swapped the wheels/tyres recently to 17' Myself, I wouldnt worry to much about it.

If you have a full car and do lots of miles then follow what the badge says, I'm sure it will save on fuel In the long run.

I'm sure one of the fine gents on here could give you a more in depth reason why you should have the correct/precise PSI, but for our little run around,Im happy with 30psi.

Personally I just go with the manufacturers recommended set with a “calibrated gauge”. So in your case I’d go with 30psi at the front and 26psi at the rear.

I go with the ford pressures +4psi but no more. This helps with fuel economy and gives you a bit of head room for when thet inevitably lose pressure.

When you consider the trouble that Ford go to to find the optimum tyre pressures for their cars why would anyone not follow their guide lines?   If you increase the pressure in the rear tyres then you are more likely to lose the rear of your car in a bend in the wet.   If you have an accident and an accident investigator from your insurance company finds that you have the wrong tyre pressures it could well be that the company will hold you partly to blame and reduce the pay out accordingly.

• Like 5

Thanks

It looks like mine are set at the lower scale which looks to cover over 100mph which to be fair is never going to happen 😂

So I'm going to set them tomorrow 30 front 26 rear tomorrow after I've left them to go cold at wotk first

Another question is the onboard readout on the car accurate to the pressure in the tyres?

Have a digital pressure gauge at work of a compressor

23 minutes ago, HRF1T2020 said:

Have a digital pressure gauge at work of a compressor

I do hope it has a full calibration certificate traceable back to the UK national physics laboratory otherwise who knows what pressure you are actually putting in your tyres.

To be honest I think you are way over thinking this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just use the sticker pressures (the one on the door), for me it's 36 front / 26 rear.

I do tend to check them every week or two.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nismex said:

I just use the sticker pressures (the one on the door), for me it's 36 front / 26 rear.

Yeah that's what I've done, filed at garage 30f 26r and checked gauge at work which has a - 1% difference in comparison which is not bad so I take that into account

Though new tyres will be had very soon

On 11/16/2021 at 9:18 PM, Bobr said:

When you consider the trouble that Ford go to to find the optimum tyre pressures for their cars why would anyone not follow their guide lines?   If you increase the pressure in the rear tyres then you are more likely to lose the rear of your car in a bend in the wet.   If you have an accident and an accident investigator from your insurance company finds that you have the wrong tyre pressures it could well be that the company will hold you partly to blame and reduce the pay out accordingly.

For that the tyres have to be dangerously over or under inflated. Plus or minus 4psi won't achieve that. As environmental temperatures rise and fall so do tyre pressures. Warm tyres have higher pressure than cold and so on. My last set of tyres wore beautifully evenly so tyre pressure was within the Goldilocks zone.

14 hours ago, cjay1 said:

For that the tyres have to be dangerously over or under inflated. Plus or minus 4psi won't achieve that. As environmental temperatures rise and fall so do tyre pressures. Warm tyres have higher pressure than cold and so on. My last set of tyres wore beautifully evenly so tyre pressure was within the Goldilocks zone.

So you over inflate the tyres by 4 psi and then they get hot and probably go up another 4 psi.

3 hours ago, Bobr said:

So you over inflate the tyres by 4 psi and then they get hot and probably go up another 4 psi.

No they should already be warm before adding the air. Ok so it would probably be better to buy a pump and do it cold but when 50p buys you enough air to do all 4 and you can pre set the pressure why bother.

3 hours ago, cjay1 said:

No they should already be warm before adding the air. Ok so it would probably be better to buy a pump and do it cold but when 50p buys you enough air to do all 4 and you can pre set the pressure why bother.

Tyre pressure should always be checked when cold.Always add more air when cold,NEVER when warm or hot.On a Fiesta,36psi is the optimum pressure(all round).Manufactures tend to be conservative on pressures(more for comfort levels),I have always used 38psi on nearly all my vehicles,with absolutely no issues.Keep W/A up & regular rotation of tyres(every 10,000kms).You will not have any issues.

On 11/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, Nismex said:

If you ever upgrade to steel wheels, you'll only need to check them every 3 to 4 months, and even then, you'll find no change to what you put in them 🤣

10 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

If you ever upgrade to steel wheels, you'll only need to check them every 3 to 4 months, and even then, you'll find no change to what you put in them 🤣

Agreed 🙂 I'm just paranoid with checking for issues, plus I'm trying to keep track of the wear rate on my Crossclimate 2's, they seem to be wearing poorly at the moment. 1300 miles and they've gone from 7mm tread to 6.3mm.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nismex said:

Agreed 🙂 I'm just paranoid with checking for issues..........they've gone from 7mm tread to 6.3mm.

Yep, that's paranoia OK LOL Another 9000 miles you'll have to replace them!

• Like 1

Reminds me I need to get my own pressure gauge re-calibrated.

36 / 26 is on the sticker for the ST Line 17s for an unladen car. Upto 38 if you have full luggage. 

9 hours ago, Scottyghia said:

36 / 26 is on the sticker for the ST Line 17s for an unladen car. Upto 38 if you have full luggage. 

Fronts seam a little high. It's 33 / 26 psi on my ST-line. (205/45 17) tyres. Yep, 38 psi rear fully laden. I normally run (cold), 33 front 27/28 rear. Which engine/power do you have?

28 minutes ago, Jim H said:

Fronts seam a little high. It's 33 / 26 psi on my ST-line. (205/45 17) tyres. Yep, 38 psi rear fully laden. I normally run (cold), 33 front 27/28 rear. Which engine/power do you have?

33 / 26 on my 2017 Titanium X too.

36/26 fo the ST180 too. Same 205/40/17" tyres.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club