Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Ford Service or not


Pharmacychris
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone

I have realised that I have gone over the time limit on my oil and as the service is due in a month I may as well have it done now instead of just getting oil done and service a few weeks later. Is there any real benefit to going with Ford for the first servi e (2019 model) or is it just as good to go to a local for half the price? Obviously with the breakdown cover it makes up for the price difference slightly. Been quoted about £220 for the first/2 year service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's up to you and your attitude to risk v's value for money. A lot of people like the peace of mind of main dealer service. Depending on when you sell your car it might add a few £ to the trade in (but not a lot for a none prestigue or specialist car, especially as they get older)

They don't do the job any better or worse than any VAT registered garage.

I service my cars myself, and also for wife and 1 daughter. Have done for about the last 15 years - including 3 cars from new. I do a very thorough job where I can, I know I've used quality parts, I know I have addressed any little issues I spotted while working on the cars, and I know I save a fortune. On my Skoda VRS the oil and filter cost about £30 where the dealer wanted £220 for an oil change service. 

If you fancy doing it yourself loads of you tube stuff to help, and you can find the full service schedule for a Ford online to see what needs doing.

oil, filter, air filter, cabin filter and spark plugs are easy once you get stuck in.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, fiestaecoboostman said:

It's up to you and your attitude to risk v's value for money. A lot of people like the peace of mind of main dealer service. Depending on when you sell your car it might add a few £ to the trade in (but not a lot for a none prestigue or specialist car, especially as they get older)

They don't do the job any better or worse than any VAT registered garage.

I service my cars myself, and also for wife and 1 daughter. Have done for about the last 15 years - including 3 cars from new. I do a very thorough job where I can, I know I've used quality parts, I know I have addressed any little issues I spotted while working on the cars, and I know I save a fortune. On my Skoda VRS the oil and filter cost about £30 where the dealer wanted £220 for an oil change service. 

If you fancy doing it yourself loads of you tube stuff to help, and you can find the full service schedule for a Ford online to see what needs doing.

Oil, filter, air filter, cabin filter and spark plugs are easy once you get stuck in.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Thanks I just wouldn't have a clue where to start. My oil gas been saying it requires changing for a while now and kind of ignored it which I am now worried about. Think I fell for the marketing of not having to do anything for two years!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Changing the oil and filter is the best thing you can do to help an engine give long trouble free life - get someone to do it - almost anyone other than qwikfit* would do an ok job.

 

*Based on my vast experience of using them but once for an oil change, they used the wrong oil and broke the engine cover mount - Astra CDTI 1 yr old. (Too busy to service myself, I was working a lot and they had an offer on - what can I say!!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, fiestaecoboostman said:

Changing the oil and filter is the best thing you can do to help an engine give long trouble free life - get someone to do it - almost anyone other than qwikfit* would do an ok job.

 

*Based on my vast experience of using them but once for an oil change, they used the wrong oil and broke the engine cover mount - Astra CDTI 1 yr old. (Too busy to service myself, I was working a lot and they had an offer on - what can I say!!)

If it is a few months late being changed would it cause any damage? Really hoping not!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Pharmacychris said:

If it is a few months late being changed would it cause any damage? Really hoping not!

I have to disagree with Rob on this one I'm afraid. The 1.0 Ecoboost engine with wet belts is very well know for suffering for catastrophic failure due to poor servicing. With these engines it is critical that the oil and filter is at the very worst case replaced at the correct intervals, but in reality the oil change should be done more frequently to reduce the premature failure of the wet belts.

You need to get it done 'now' and make sure that the correct oil specification is used, not just some generic type that the local garage use.

If you're about @anon maybe you could confirm the importance of oil and filter changes on the Ecoboost engine.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, unofix said:

You need to get it done 'now' and make sure that the correct oil specification is used, not just some generic type that the local garage use.

Agree 100%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, unofix said:

I have to disagree with Rob on this one I'm afraid. The 1.0 Ecoboost engine with wet belts is very well know for suffering for catastrophic failure due to poor servicing. With these engines it is critical that the oil and filter is at the very worst case replaced at the correct intervals, but in reality the oil change should be done more frequently to reduce the premature failure of the wet belts.

You need to get it done 'now' and make sure that the correct oil specification is used, not just some generic type that the local garage use.

If you're about @anon maybe you could confirm the importance of oil and filter changes on the Ecoboost engine.

 

I'm not pretending to be an expert on the 1.0 eco boost, but I doubt a 19 plate is about to suffer an engine failure because the oil change is overdue. When this happens its probably a combination of factors - Driving style, lack of servicing, a defective part, short trips, thrashed from cold - who knows for sure?

 I do believe an oil and filter change is very important - and I said that, but I'm sure the OP's car will be fine as long as he gets it done. Ask any mechanic who does belt changes - they tend to agree the later belts show zero wear or stretching at the change intervals, and funny enough in some markets cars have much longer intervals until a belt charge is required.

I've never had a major failure on my families cars - and I wonder how much of that is down to annual servicing including oil and filter - or just the luck of the draw?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


22 hours ago, Pharmacychris said:

Hi everyone

I have realised that I have gone over the time limit on my oil and as the service is due in a month I may as well have it done now instead of just getting oil done and service a few weeks later. Is there any real benefit to going with Ford for the first servi e (2019 model) or is it just as good to go to a local for half the price? Obviously with the breakdown cover it makes up for the price difference slightly. Been quoted about £220 for the first/2 year service.

It is better to stay with a dealer,for servicing ,if anything major crops up(especially if vehicle is out of warranty) the manufacturer is more likely to fix an issue & come to the party if the book has been stamped & is on the manufactures data base.It’s what you can call a ‘goodwill’ gesture.Sure,you can get an oil change done between services,I have done this,but do not get the book stamped by an independent & always supply a genuine OEM filter.Do you not have ‘capped price’ servicing in the UK with Ford?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, unofix said:

I have to disagree with Rob on this one I'm afraid. The 1.0 Ecoboost engine with wet belts is very well know for suffering for catastrophic failure due to poor servicing. With these engines it is critical that the oil and filter is at the very worst case replaced at the correct intervals, but in reality the oil change should be done more frequently to reduce the premature failure of the wet belts.

You need to get it done 'now' and make sure that the correct oil specification is used, not just some generic type that the local garage use.

If you're about @anon maybe you could confirm the importance of oil and filter changes on the Ecoboost engine.

 

oil changes are critical with these engines,I do mine @ least twice a year.Overkill? Perhaps,but as I keep saying,oil & a filter is cheap,a blown/destroyed engine is not.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fiestaecoboostman said:

the 1.0 eco boost

Shall we just say the 1.0 eco boost is a special case. If you think it will be OK to over run the oil change intervals with out it causing problems then that's fine.

However just to make it clear this particular engine is very well known for the premature failure of the wet belt due to poor servicing.

Would you recommend that perhaps the engine oil should be flushed when the oil change is done ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, unofix said:

Shall we just say the 1.0 eco boost is a special case. If you think it will be OK to over run the oil change intervals with out it causing problems then that's fine.

However just to make it clear this particular engine is very well known for the premature failure of the wet belt due to poor servicing.

Would you recommend that perhaps the engine oil should be flushed when the oil change is done ?

Flush?Not recommended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, unofix said:

I know. I was just teasing !!

But,you would be surprised how many people think it is ok to do it!Same as a auto trans,never ever flush,just a drain & refill,or what is commonly referred to as a ‘spill & fill’.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2021 at 9:31 PM, Pharmacychris said:

Hi everyone

I have realised that I have gone over the time limit on my oil and as the service is due in a month I may as well have it done now instead of just getting oil done and service a few weeks later. Is there any real benefit to going with Ford for the first servi e (2019 model) or is it just as good to go to a local for half the price? Obviously with the breakdown cover it makes up for the price difference slightly. Been quoted about £220 for the first/2 year service.

Many of us have a yearly service, mine's coming up to its 2nd "proper" service, and it will be its 4th, and while it's under warranty I would use a ford dealer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ford servicing also often comes with Roadside assistance if you get the correct package. That in itself may be worth it if something goes wrong. I recently agonised over the cost/benefit analysis and given my car is now out of warranty decided its best to stick to full  dealer servicing with the assistance option. I figured that as the car is approaching eight years old things may start to go wrong, as indeed they did recently.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, fiestalux said:

Ford servicing also often comes with Roadside assistance if you get the correct package. That in itself may be worth it if something goes wrong. I recently agonised over the cost/benefit analysis and given my car is now out of warranty decided its best to stick to full  dealer servicing with the assistance option. I figured that as the car is approaching eight years old things may start to go wrong, as indeed they did recently.

 

 

‘Roadside’ assist is ‘complimentary’ here in Australia,all brands do it.Free? Not really,it is all built into the service price.Catch?Of course there is,to keep it going you have to have your annual,servicing done @ a authorised Ford dealer.If I have my next service completed @ a Ford dealer(90,000km)$255.This is only a basic service,oil & filter & safety check.Recently had it serviced @ my local mechanic,oil & filter(filter supplied by me) brake fluid change,coolant change(OEM specs) new front brake pads,spark plugs replaced(OEM plugs,supplied by me)& a safety check.$385.(around £207).If you then add in annual roadside assistance membership @ $100 annually,I am ahead.There is no way I would have got away with $385 @ a dealer,would have been a couple of hundred over.If I had elected to just have a oil & filter change @ my local,around $150.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2021 at 11:36 AM, fiestalux said:

Ford servicing also often comes with Roadside assistance if you get the correct package. That in itself may be worth it if something goes wrong. I recently agonised over the cost/benefit analysis and given my car is now out of warranty decided its best to stick to full  dealer servicing with the assistance option. I figured that as the car is approaching eight years old things may start to go wrong, as indeed they did recently.

 

 

Unless you get your car serviced at Burns Garage in Congleton, who charge you £25 for the "Free" Roadside assistance when you have a service! 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2021 at 8:04 PM, Hackney said:

‘Roadside’ assist is ‘complimentary’ here in Australia,all brands do it.Free? Not really,it is all built into the service price.Catch?Of course there is,to keep it going you have to have your annual,servicing done @ a authorised Ford dealer.If I have my next service completed @ a Ford dealer(90,000km)$255.This is only a basic service,oil & filter & safety check.Recently had it serviced @ my local mechanic,oil & filter(filter supplied by me) brake fluid change,coolant change(OEM specs) new front brake pads,spark plugs replaced(OEM plugs,supplied by me)& a safety check.$385.(around £207).If you then add in annual roadside assistance membership @ $100 annually,I am ahead.There is no way I would have got away with $385 @ a dealer,would have been a couple of hundred over.If I had elected to just have a oil & filter change @ my local,around $150.

Here there are two options, a service with or without roadside assistance.  The difference in price is €27. In the past I have looked at getting repairs done at non-Ford garages, in almost all cases the cost was the same or not much cheaper to justify what was a worse "patch up".  In a few cases it was more than twice the price. My local For dealer seems to (for now) offer very cheap and high quality repairs, that said getting appointments is slow and they are not always the most organised.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership