Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta can’t decide if it wants 3rd or 4th gear when travelling at 30mph

CT mk8titanium

Hi. 

I’ve had my Fiesta Titanium 2018 plate (100ps Ecoboost 6 speed manual ) for just over 6 months now. I love it in every way apart from one annoying thing.

When travelling at 30mph in 3rd gear it’s revving at about 2100rpm and is telling me to shift up into 4th gear. But as soon as I do the car drops below 1400rpm and struggles to keep pace and immediately wants me to shift down to 3rd gear so I change it back down. This happens when driving on flat roads with no incline or multiple passengers/added weight. 

I was wondering whether anyone with the same engine has experienced the same thing? My main concern is whether I’m not getting the best fuel economy and over revving the engine

Hi Chris,

Lots of questions on this ever since these indicators were first introduced. I think it's fair to say most of us just ignore them and drive according to our own judgement and experience.

Fwiw I normally use 3rd when driving at 30, 4th at 40. The car's perfectly happy and it helps keep within speed limits. The red line on the tachometer is 6,500 rpm so you're in no danger of over-revving at 2,100. I find the ecoboost is generally happiest at 2,000 rpm or more anyway.

This will probably because the engine tuning has been done the same Europe wide, and everywhere else uses 50km/h which is 31 miles an hour, and daft as it sounds, that 1 mile an hour makes all the difference. I noticed exactly the same issue on my Focus, so now drive at 29 in a 30 zone, in 3rd.  

Yes as Eric says about 2000 rpm and above in the ecoboost the engine seems happier.

In my ST-Line 140 I use 4th gear at 30mph if the road is flat, but then again that's an indicated 32mph in my car.

Almost all speedos are set to over read the true speed by a good %. If your GPS shows your speed that's a far more accurate reading (assuming you have a good GPS signal.

At 75mph indicated on my speedo I'm doing about a true 70mph.

But using 3rd gear for 30mph is not going to make any noticeable difference to the fuel economy and it wouldn't be over revving if you were doing 50mph in 3rd gear, just a bit unnecessary (and that would be wasteful on fuel).

I think 3rd gear in my car would take me to about 85mph if I were to take it to the red line. Not something I would need to do, but not unsafe if you are only doing it for a short duration.

6 minutes ago, Blatto said:

I think 3rd gear in my car would take me to about 85mph if I were to take it to the red line. Not something I would need to do, but not unsafe if you are only doing it for a short duration.

Yes, that's right. The 140 has slightly lower overall gearing than the other versions which theoretically would do about 10 mph more. I find 3rd a very useful overtaking gear but it takes you past 60 remarkably quickly so you need to be alert for camera vans which are prolific round here!😀

15 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I find 3rd a very useful overtaking gear but it takes you past 60 remarkably quickly so you need to be alert for camera vans which are prolific round here!😀

Of course when I said 3rd would take me to 85mph I was talking about my many trips to the unrestricted parts of the German Autobahn 🤭

16 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I find 3rd a very useful overtaking gear but it takes you past 60 remarkably quickly so you need to be alert for camera vans which are prolific round here!😀

My little 100PS isn't much different- it just wants to go! I really have to watch my speeds at times, it's such a nippy little thing.

Thanks everyone for your advice 👍🏻. I guess I’m still pretty used to my old VW Up! Which would be happy in 5th gear at 30pm and 1500rpm. I’m loving how much nippier this car is though 😄