Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electrics gone mad

Rob555

Hi,

2011 Focus sport

Went out in the car this morning all fine. An hour later the below freezing light come on whilst the temp gauge says - - -, then bonnet open warning comes on, windscreen wipers turning on on there own and the fan does not work!

Help

Post says 2001 car, profile says 2011 car.  Water in bcm?

5 minutes ago, isetta said:

Post says 2001 car, profile says 2011 car.  Water in bcm?

Thanks, 2011.

Doubt water as it’s been dry for days

5 hours ago, isetta said:

profile says 2011 car.  Water in bcm?

Agreed.

The water gets in to the BCM from a fault with the screen wash pump, nothing to do with rain.

It's quite a common problem with your model. Check the BCM connectors and look for signs of greenish corrosion on the connector pins.

11 hours ago, Rob555 said:

Went out in the car this morning all fine. An hour later the below freezing light come on whilst the temp gauge says - - -, then bonnet open warning comes on, windscreen wipers turning on on there own and the fan does not work!

I agree with Isetta & Unofix. But it does not always need rain to trigger it. Once water gets into electronics, whether rain, A/C condensate, or down the cable from the washer pump, it causes long term problems. In dry, warm weather it can dry out, but leave hygroscopic residues on the pcb. Then changes in humidity will cause these residues to become conductive, and sensitive circuits will go haywire.

Colder weather, & using the car heater, will tend to evaporate water into the warmed air, which then condenses on colder items. My dashboard misted up on the inside of the clear cover a last week, after starting to drive on a cold morning with a lot of condensation on the windscreen, which I used the heater & A/C to clear, as an example.

Carefully examining the pcbs, and in all the connectors, would show if this was a likely problem. Washing with IPA (or other alcohol like meths) can clean the pcbs. A coat of water resistant, electronics quality varnish (conformal coating) would then give some protection, though connector pins & moving parts must be avoided. Some people just use WD40 & swear by it!. It might well work, though I have not tried it on my electronics, and don't know how long it will work for!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 12:44 PM, Rob555 said:

Thanks, 2011.

Doubt water as it’s been dry for days

Mine was dry too, my electrics were going weird got auto technician to diagnose for 50 quid was my bum

Bum? Is that auto spelling correction of bcm? 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, isetta said:

Bum? Is that auto spelling correction of bcm? 

So sorry , not bum! BCM! 😂

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club