Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6tdci 2008 whining noise "not alternator"

ChiiliZ

Hello
Got a Ford Focus 1.6tdci 2007
I've got a whining sound from my engine and i can hear it clearly when I rev about 1.2k-2000k, i also hear it when I downshift so it's on and off throttle
Removed the belt to alternator and still have the sound.
Anyone got a idea?
Changed timing belt 2000km / 2 years ago
I know you can hear turbo sound as well

I had similar, a whine under certain circumstances. Turned out to be my air-con, had it checked and refilled, whine sorted. Have you got air-con ?

You can get it checked, drained and refilled for around £35.00.

HTH

I've removed serpentine belt and the sound is still there when I rev the engine. So it can't be alternator / ac compressor or the tensioner

Updated video with better sound

I replaced timing belt on my previous 1.6tdci. A few days later I noticed a whine when just above tickover. I looked at belt with engine running (upper cover removed) and it looked like it was resonating badly at certain revs. I slackened the tensioner just a tad and it was fine after that. Car was in my family for 50k miles after that with no I’ll effect

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 11:29 AM, isetta said:

I replaced timing belt on my previous 1.6tdci. A few days later I noticed a whine when just above tickover. I looked at belt with engine running (upper cover removed) and it looked like it was resonating badly at certain revs. I slackened the tensioner just a tad and it was fine after that. Car was in my family for 50k miles after that with no I’ll effect

Can I adjust the tensioner when I remove upper cover or do I need to remove bottom one too?

I didn't have any whining sound for like 7months so it feels wierd that suddenly i would have to adjust tensioner

3 hours ago, ChiiliZ said:

I didn't have any whining sound for like 7months so it feels wierd that suddenly i would have to adjust tensioner

Is the weather colder now ?

Temperature in the UK has dropped to about 5C and a change like that would cause the belt to be much tighter.

On mine I had to take bottom cover off which is annoying as you have to take crank pulley off. Before I put the bottom cover back on I sawed it in half so that if necessary I could remove part of it to access the tensioner without removing pulley again.  I would take top cover off, get someone to control the throttle whilst you look at belt and see if it vibrates badly when you hear the noise. On mine you could see it resonating on the downhill belt run, the opposite to the tensioner side.