Do Not Sell My Personal Information

need help with gearbox code or part number (2012 c max)

grandcmaxg

Hi, I originally posted this on the c max club section but nobody has replied and I need urgent help please.

This car is based on a focus mk3 chassis I think.

Hi, I am a new member and I saw some posts with very good knowledgeable answers. I was wondering if you could help me with finding out what gearbox codes can go on my 2012 grand c max 1.6 tdci 115 zetec 6 speed manual non stop/start. The bearings of my gearbox have failed and I need to find a second hand gearbox. Is this a common problem?

I have not checked or found my gearbox code yet but looking online i found that all used gearboxes for ford cmax's of this generation have this code av6r 7002 gh, some end with gg and gk. So I am assuming my last letters start with g?

Some doubts I have are:

Can a gearbox from a stop/start c max go on my car? Can a ford focus gearbox which is easier to find go on my car? focus gearboxes code I found are av6r 7002 kj?

All cars I have looked at are 1.6 tdci 115 6 speed.

I would really appreciate your help as I have rang couple of ford dealers and parts department and they are not very helpful or knowledgeable.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to read my message.

On a C-max / Grand C-max 1.6 TDCI without Stop/Start the following part numbers are listed:

New gearbox:
Finis: 1840686
Part number: AV6R-7002-GJ

Remanufactured gearbox:
Finis: 1836348
Part number: RMAV6R-7002-GJ

These part numbers supersedes the following part numbers:

AV6R-7002-GC 
AV6R-7002-GD
AV6R-7002-GE
AV6R-7002-GF
AV6R-7002-GG
AV6R-7002-GH

These part numbers are used on the Focus MK3 and C-max / Grand C-max MK2 1.6 TDCI without Stop/Start.

As far as I know apart from the different starter motor the only difference between a B6 gearbox without Stop/Start and a B6 gearbox with Stop/Start is the "Transmission Gear Shift Housing".

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.64649aba5e562a4a4bcb3d0a0fb020c2.jpg

Since this part can easily be removed from the original gearbox and installed into the new gearbox it should be no problem to buy a a B6 gearbox with Stop/Start.

• Like 3

You must take into account that buying a used gearbox is quite a big risk. These gearboxes are usually between 6 and 10 Year old. Since bearing damage and excessive wear of internal components is quite common on a 1.6 TDCi with B6 gearbox there is quite a risk that the replacement gearbox suffers from the same problem.

Bearing damage and excessive wear of internal components of the B6 gearbox is caused by insufficient lubrication. Insufficient lubrication is known to be the result of driving at low engine RPM's/high torque in high gears. The 1.6 TCDI is basically the only engine type that has this problem. All other engine types that use the B6 gearbox have different gear ratio's and (most important) less torque which prevents the driver from driving at low engine RPM's/high torque in high gears.

This problem can easily be prevented by avoiding driving at low engine RPM's/high torque in high gears. 

Since buying a used gearbox is quite a big risk rebuilding the original gearbox is also worth to be considered. Bearing noises from the gearbox are usually an early symptom. In this case replacement of the defective bearings is usually sufficient to solve the problem. This is usually also the cheapest solution.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JW1982 said:

On a C-max / Grand C-max 1.6 TDCI without Stop/Start the following part numbers are listed:

New gearbox:
Finis: 1840686
Part number: AV6R-7002-GJ

Remanufactured gearbox:
Finis: 1836348
Part number: RMAV6R-7002-GJ

These part numbers supersedes the following part numbers:

AV6R-7002-GC 
AV6R-7002-GD
AV6R-7002-GE
AV6R-7002-GF
AV6R-7002-GG
AV6R-7002-GH

These part numbers are used on the Focus MK3 and C-max / Grand C-max MK2 1.6 TDCI without Stop/Start.

As far as I know apart from the different starter motor the only difference between a B6 gearbox without Stop/Start and a B6 gearbox with Stop/Start is the "Transmission Gear Shift Housing".

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.64649aba5e562a4a4bcb3d0a0fb020c2.jpg

Since this part can easily be removed from the original gearbox and installed into the new gearbox it should be no problem to buy a a B6 gearbox with Stop/Start.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer and explanation. I immensely appreciate. 

So can a focus gearbox go on my car with this gearbox code AV6R 7002 KJ? Is this one a stop/start? 

I understand that a second hand gearbox could have the same problem in future but is what I can afford at the moment as I have a mechanic that can help me out with fitting and get a used one cheap from breakers. Do you know exactly what the oil capacity is for this gearbox? 

Thanks and sorry for the number of questions, but I cannot find people to speak about this 

Part number AV6R-7002-KJ is a Focus / C-max / Grand C-max 1.6 TDCI B6 gearbox without Stop/Start.

In my opinion you can either buy a 1.6 TDCI B6 gearbox without Stop/Start or a 1.6 TDCI B6 gearbox with Stop/Start and convert it to non Stop/Start.

You should at all costs avoid the 1.6 TDCI ECObetic B6 gearbox (AV6R-7002-NB, AV6R-7002-NC or AV6R-7002-ND). The 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic B6 gearbox has a different (longer) gear ratio which is not suitable for your car.

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2021 at 12:36 PM, JW1982 said:

Part number AV6R-7002-KJ is a Focus / C-max / Grand C-max 1.6 TDCI B6 gearbox without Stop/Start.

In my opinion you can either buy a 1.6 TDCI B6 gearbox without Stop/Start or a 1.6 TDCI B6 gearbox with Stop/Start and convert it to non Stop/Start.

You should at all costs avoid the 1.6 TDCI ECObetic B6 gearbox (AV6R-7002-NB, AV6R-7002-NC or AV6R-7002-ND). The 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic B6 gearbox has a different (longer) gear ratio which is not suitable for your car.

Thanks a million times for your help. I really appreciate. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club