Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Multimeter query, how to measure voltage??

StephenFord

I have 2 x multi meters, one works perfectly, but I cannot for the life of me get the attached one to measure a simple car battery voltage! Are the cables plugged into the right sockets, and where should the dial be located? Take pity on an eejit, I know I'm doing something stupid! LOL

IMG_20211129_141204.thumb.jpg.57084823c15eec6eb5faa4f081df0e42.jpg

For measuring voltage, you need to move the red cable in to the far right socket marked "V".

I'd also set the dial to the 20 in that segment, for measuring a car battery.

33 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

For measuring voltage, you need to move the red cable in to the far right socket marked "V".

I'd also set the dial to the 20 in that segment, for measuring a car battery.

With the use of my 'working' multimeter, I have narrowed down the fault. It wasn't the internal 9v battery, nor the cables (as they work on a continuity test). On opening her up, there are 2 x internal fuses, one of them 250mA/300V, and the other a 10A/300V one - both of them have failed (odd that)!

I have a neighbour now examining his 'man drawer' as he thinks he may have some replacements for me 😁

Hi Stephen, you blew the fuses while trying to measure voltage with the lead plugged in to the mA range. That would have taken the 250mA fuse out is a fraction of a second. I suspect at some point you also had a lead plugged in to the far left socket (10A range) and again if you then put that across a battery and tried to measure voltage it would wipe the fuse out.

It's quite an odd sort of meter you have, never seen one before with a "battery" range, not quite sure why a normal volt range wouldn't just do. Also the way the range scale is marked for the voltage is a bit strange '200m' meaning maximum voltage it can measure on that range being 200mV. They must have been trying to save on ink 🤣

Just something to check after you replace the fuses, see if the resistance range is working normally and it reads Zero with the leads shorted. Often with multimeters the use of a general purpose 10A fuse will alter the resistance range very slightly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi Stephen, you blew the fuses while trying to measure voltage with the lead plugged in to the mA range. That would have taken the 250mA fuse out is a fraction of a second. I suspect at some point you also had a lead plugged in to the far left socket (10A range) and again if you then put that across a battery and tried to measure voltage it would wipe the fuse out.

It's quite an odd sort of meter you have, never seen one before with a "battery" range, not quite sure why a normal volt range wouldn't just do. Also the way the range scale is marked for the voltage is a bit strange '200m' meaning maximum voltage it can measure on that range being 200mV. They must have been trying to save on ink 🤣

Quite possible, it's been ages since I used that particular meter so was swapping leads/dial all over the place LOL I should have stuck to my cheap easy to use multimeter but was too lazy to go upstairs and get it! (As well as waiting for neighbour, have just ordered 5 x each fuse for £2.50 in total on eBay!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Quite possible, it's been ages since I used that particular meter so was swapping leads/dial all over the place LOL I should have stuck to my cheap easy to use multimeter but was too lazy to go upstairs and get it! (As well as waiting for neighbour, have just ordered 5 x each fuse for £2.50 in total on Ebay!

That should do it, you will have more fuses than positions that you can plug the leads into. 🙂

• Haha 2

And if my eyes do not deceive me, separate AC and DC ranges.  The 1.5V and 9V battery ranges might be specifically for a U2 and PP9 batteries (if my memory does not also deceive me!)

Blowing the Fuses - This is why if you work on higher lethal voltages, you use a "Voltage Indicator" to indicate that a circuit is safe, not a voltmeter.

1663302945_avo8.jpg.c2402a2c3ea3fcffe3c80255b143ba47.jpg

This is what I using for a long time !  Also has separate AC and DC ranges, came in a big leather case with a space for the cables.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Paulkp said:

And if my eyes do not deceive me, separate AC and DC ranges.  The 1.5V and 9V battery ranges might be specifically for a U2 and PP9 batteries (if my memory does not also deceive me!)

Blowing the Fuses - This is why if you work on higher lethal voltages, you use a "Voltage Indicator" to indicate that a circuit is safe, not a voltmeter.

1663302945_avo8.jpg.c2402a2c3ea3fcffe3c80255b143ba47.jpg

This is what I using for a long time !  Also has separate AC and DC ranges, came in a big leather case with a space for the cables.

Looks like a WW2 relic, I love it! The most dangerous thing I ever measure is battery voltage, never go near mains, it scares me LOL

21 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Looks like a WW2 relic, I love it! The most dangerous thing I ever measure is battery voltage, never go near mains, it scares me LOL

Scares me too after getting electrocuted twice in my early teens ( my own fault) . Also my sister got electrocuted by a vacuum cleaner after washing her car. Her husband had to switch off at the mains and then call ambulance . we saw the burns from the entry and exit points . 

Probably why I allways  vacuum car before washing it. 

• Sad 1

Electricity. You cannot see or smell it but you will certainly feel it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club