Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Ford Focus cracked gasket head?

Haggisfish3

Hello

i have a 2016 Ford Focus diesel. 64000 miles. Heater cutting in and out, coolant contaminated. Independent garage reckons gasket head is cracked due to exhaust fumes in coolant and air bubbles. He thinks best case scenario about £1500 and worst case £5000. Are there any specific things I should ask him to check to determine best course of action without having to take engine apart first? 

2 hours ago, Haggisfish3 said:

there any specific things I should ask him to check to determine best course of action

Yes, however in the sentence prior to this you wrote the answers to said questions. There's little else you can do without picking up some spanners.

Either have a warped/cracked block = new engine. If you're lucky then it's just the head that's warped and you can get it skimmed at a machine shop.

• Like 1

Ok brill, thank you! I ***** hate cars-this car was supposed to see me out another 65000 miles. 

Must admit, if it is 'just' the head gasket, even with a skim, £1500 seems steep?

That is what I thought. It’s really helpful to get other ideas and opinions  about this. 

What would be a reasonable price if it is just the head gasket? Roughly? 

12 minutes ago, Haggisfish3 said:

What would be a reasonable price if it is just the head gasket? Roughly? 

Impossible to give an exact, or close call. I would budget 4 to 6 hours labour (whatever your garage charges/hour) and this link may give you some idea of a 'skim'. Of course, you'll need whatever parts are needed too. But like I said, you'll need to maybe get a few local quotes before deciding what to do. Oh, I'm sure you know don't go near a 'main dealer' LOL

I'd ask them to check the EGR cooler first.  Headgaskets are pretty uncommon on this engine.

• Like 3

The guy did say he was very surprised. He’s having another look. Thanks for all advice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Did you get this sorted?

Have a 14 plate diesel with 97500 on the clock. Showing similar symptoms also noticed that the coolant tank is under pressure even when cold.  after using and letting the car go cold the level is below minimum but on releasing pressure the fluid level is at the max line.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:57 PM, Haggisfish3 said:

Hello

i have a 2016 Ford Focus diesel. 64000 miles. Heater cutting in and out, coolant contaminated. Independent garage reckons gasket head is cracked due to exhaust fumes in coolant and air bubbles. He thinks best case scenario about £1500 and worst case £5000. Are there any specific things I should ask him to check to determine best course of action without having to take engine apart first? 

I had on a Vauxhall Astra, contaminated coolant but oil dipstick was fine. Some mechanics looked at the coolant , saw the ‘mayo’ creamy contaminate and said head gasket straight away. One guy wanted hundreds just to ‘strip the engine’ !!  I went to a trustworthy mechanic, a rare breed !  he pressure tested it (for free iirc) turned out it was a defective oil cooler. You don’t say if the oil is also contaminated….just spotted this post was 2 weeks ago! What was the outcome? 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club