Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Mechanic Cardiff

Gareth stacey

Hi

my son has a 2007 Focus 1.8 Titanium Tdci. Intermittently it is kicking out clouds of smoke, losing power for short periods and engine systems fault displays. He has taken it to his local garage who say they can’t find a problem. There obviously is so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a garage/mechanic (not main dealer) in the Cardiff area who knows Fords that could have a look. Cheers in advance.

just find any garage with a reader, see if any codes come up and go from there. Average is around £40, unless someone on here local has the kit and do you/him a solid 👍

I'd be very surprised if any indy garage has Ford specific diags.  Your choice is basically a Ford dealer or doing it yourself with Forscan.

7 hours ago, JImpster said:

just find any garage with a reader, see if any codes come up and go from there. Average is around £40, unless someone on here local has the kit and do you/him a solid 👍

Thanks both I’ll see what I can arrange

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the car has been taken to a garage and put on the diagnostic tool but it is not showing any fault codes; despite my lad fully explaining the issue and how the car is performing they did nothing else with it and suffice to say it still has the issue. I have looked on various focus forums and similar problems point to the fuel sensor possibly being the problem - anyone have any experience of problems with this sensor and would/should it show as a fault code??? Thanks in advance

If dashboard shows fault it sounds odd the garage says no fault code. We don’t know what software or hardware they used.  I find it hard to believe unless I saw with my own eyes using a fault code reader like the ones from tunnel rat electronics £20.  And forscan software which is free for windows and about 6 quid for Apple/android. The tunnel rat fault code readers do work on other makes of car also with various other free apps so it’s a very useful thing to have for little cost

• Like 2

2 hours ago, isetta said:

If dashboard shows fault it sounds odd the garage says no fault code. We don’t know what software or hardware they used.  I find it hard to believe unless I saw with my own eyes using a fault code reader like the ones from tunnel rat electronics £20.  And forscan software which is free for windows and about 6 quid for Apple/android. The tunnel rat fault code readers do work on other makes of car also with various other free apps so it’s a very useful thing to have for little cost

I even bought a reader off amazon which I used today and it showed no error codes found

2 minutes ago, Gareth stacey said:

I even bought a reader off Amazon which I used today and it showed no error codes found

I bought the OBD 2 unit

What software are you using and on what device (laptop etc)

The unit I bought just plugs in and displays on the unit screen so I don’t need a laptop. It’s pretty basic I suppose but I would expect it to pick up any fault codes.

3 hours ago, Gareth stacey said:

The unit I bought just plugs in and displays on the unit screen so I don’t need a laptop. It’s pretty basic I suppose but I would expect it to pick up any fault codes.

a lot of the "handheld" ones are generic and can only see one part of the cars many systems. your best bet is like everyone says a OBD adapter that will work with forscan and then use a laptop or buy the mobile version. i used to use a generic reader (handheld) and it would bring up nothing on my fiesta, also hand generic bluetooth adapters that i used with torque and various other programs again it would read some things but not others. got myself a USB obd adapter and forscan for the laptop it reads all the systems and showed up a lot of faults i didn't know about. i have since then also got the mobile app that works with my bluetooth adapter. forscan or main dealer is the way to go.

• Like 1

I bought the Tunnel Rat got it all setup and running, now im too scared to change "anything" it tells me what i had for tea last tuesday hahahahaha

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, YBTURBO said:

a lot of the "handheld" ones are generic and can only see one part of the cars many systems. your best bet is like everyone says a OBD adapter that will work with forscan and then use a laptop or buy the mobile version. i used to use a generic reader (handheld) and it would bring up nothing on my fiesta, also hand generic Bluetooth adapters that i used with torque and various other programs again it would read some things but not others. got myself a USB obd adapter and forscan for the laptop it reads all the systems and showed up a lot of faults i didn't know about. i have since then also got the mobile app that works with my Bluetooth adapter. forscan or main dealer is the way to go.

Cheers I’ll do that

There's a small garage in Pontypridd called Trojan service station the owner is a Richard Cuff he's very good on diesel and as a very good Diagnostic reader only thing is you have to wait about two weeks to get in always full,  but worth a try, not open until the 4/1/22

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I’ve now had the diagnostics done and it’s showing fault P0299 - turbo/super charger underboost. The mechanic says this can cover a variety of issues and from googling it he’s right!!! Anyone had any experience of this?? I’ve also checked it with forscan myself and only the P0299 code shows. Cheers 

Underboost is generally caused by a split boost hose.  On the 1.8 TDCI there's a 90 degree 'elbow' that's a common culprit but it's worth following as many of the pipes as you can access.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Underboost is generally caused by a split boost hose.  On the 1.8 TDCI there's a 90 degree 'elbow' that's a common culprit but it's worth following as many of the pipes as you can access.

Thanks, I did spray brake cleaner around the engine today but didn’t notice any change, but I’ll keep looking!!

14 minutes ago, Gareth stacey said:

Thanks, I did spray brake cleaner around the engine today but didn’t notice any change, but I’ll keep looking!!

Brake cleaner won't help in this case, that's for finding vacuum leaks.  Get someone to hold the revs up a bit and feel around all the thick turbo pipes for air blowing out.  Also check the really small rubber hose that goes to the MAP sensor on the top left of the engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Brake cleaner won't help in this case, that's for finding vacuum leaks.  Get someone to hold the revs up a bit and feel around all the thick turbo pipes for air blowing out.  Also check the really small rubber hose that goes to the MAP sensor on the top left of the engine.

Oh right thanks for that I will do

On 1/9/2022 at 6:00 PM, TomsFocus said:

I’ve found a large tear in the lower turbo pipe. I wrapped masking tape around it and drove it and it was like driving a different car, the fault code cleared too. I’ve ordered a new hose but not sure how easy it’ll be to replace myself, I think I can get more access if I take out the headlight. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gareth stacey said:

I’ve found a large tear in the lower turbo pipe. I wrapped masking tape around it and drove it and it was like driving a different car, the fault code cleared too. I’ve ordered a new hose but not sure how easy it’ll be to replace myself, I think I can get more access if I take out the headlight. 

Glad to hear you've found the fault!

I can't help regarding access on the 1.8 but hopefully it won't be too difficult to replace yourself.  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club