Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mud Flaps

Blackbird14

Hi,

My wife’s 2019 white Fiesta STLine gets very dirty at this time of year.  I am thinking of fitting mud flaps and wondered if anyone had already done so and could give any advice as to make, type etc.

Many thanks

Dave

I had the genuine Ford ones on my white 2018 Fiesta ST (same bodykit as ST-line).

Fit very well and did the job nicely.

• Like 2

It depends on what age the car is. The Genuine ford ones do not fit my car apparently. Mine is a 69 plate. Apparently they changed the back bumper very slightly at some point in 2019.

• Like 1

I've got rallyflapz shortiez on my car now as Ford don't do any for the Mk4 Focus ST/ST-line, so that would be second recommendation.

Although, I believe Ford have changed the front wing on the Mk4 Focus, which stops newer cars having the fronts fitted. Just stick to the same bodywork Ford!

• Like 1

Always fit Ford front mudflaps to our Fiesta's. Very effective and simple to fit. Had them on a 07, 11, 14 and 18.

Just now, Chainsawcharlie said:

I notice that I can go out in light rain, wet roads with a beautiful clean showroom condition car and within minutes the whole of the back hatch is filthy.

Anyone notice if both front and back flaps help to lessen or even stop this happening.

No it doesn't stop that.

That is because of the aerodynamics (or lack of) on the shape of a hatchback. You get a lot of swirling turbulence that throws the air and fine dirt/water up the back. It's the same reason it's dangerous to drive with the boot open as the same turbulence pushes exhaust gases in to the car.

The rear mud flaps stop the skats and thicker debris getting thrown up the corners of the rear bumper, but you can't stop the dirty mist across the whole back.

• Like 2

I've had mudflaps on several cars and not really found them to be worthwhile.  As above, the back end of pretty much every boxy hatch has a 'dead air' space where all the muck gets sucked onto the rear screen the second there's a slightly damp road.  And as soon as you splash through a muddy puddle on a dirty backroad the entire side is splattered anyway.  I found the mudflaps were just something else to clean and another part to remove during a bumper-off job.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:14 AM, Matthew McGuinness said:

It depends on what age the car is. The Genuine ford ones do not fit my car apparently. Mine is a 69 plate. Apparently they changed the back bumper very slightly at some point in 2019.

Yes mine is 21 and the rear bumper has no inner return edge therefore the mud flaps cannot attach. There’s no alternative part apparently.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 9:26 AM, Chainsawcharlie said:

I notice that I can go out in light rain, wet roads with a beautiful clean showroom condition car and within minutes the whole of the back hatch is filthy.

Anyone notice if both front and back flaps help to lessen or even stop this happening.

So far I have found my 2017 Mk8 Titanium particularly bad for this, far worse than the Mk7 that preceded it...I guess shares in car shampoo are going up this winter then!

As a Professional Pilot I could bore you all shitless with techobabble regarding aerodynamics and airflow over a vehicle. But I'm a kind soul so I won't! Suffice it to say if you don't want to be blown off the road in a slight crosswind or sucked across the carriageway when trying to overtake a lorry you'll just have to accept the crap up the back of your cars. You're welcome.

• Like 1

Hi

many thanks for the replies and useful comments.  Still wondering about fitting or not.

Thanks

Dave

Have to be honest and say there are two things I think benefit a car if it’s “a keeper” and that’s OEM Rubber mats and Mudflaps.

In 2020 I purchased a great 2018 10,000 mile Fiesta Titanium. I was really surprised at the level of small chips to the sills and the lower part of the doors. The number of small chips on passenger side sill behind the front wheel had compromised the lacquer and it started to peel. This was fixed under warranty by the Ford dealer, and after which I fitted mudflaps to not only help keep the sills and underside of doors cleaner but to minimise impact damage from road chips. I was pretty happy that they did the job intended.

When changing my Fiesta in 2021 to a new TitaniumX I asked the dealer to fit mudflaps all round ( as I had done to my previous car ) so it had some protection from day1. 

Ford OEM mudflaps are straight forward to fit, no need to raise the car or remove wheels. I think the only criteria was that the temperature needed to be at least 15C to ensure the adhesive strips could secure things fully.

Made my own, 4mm rubber sheet from eBay,  cardboard template, just drilled and screwed on the bumper returns front and rear. 

4 hours ago, Aldridge Andy said:

Have to be honest and say there are two things I think benefit a car if it’s “a keeper” and that’s OEM Rubber Mats and Mudflaps.

In 2020 I purchased a great 2018 10,000 mile Fiesta Titanium. I was really surprised at the level of small chips to the sills and the lower part of the doors. The number of small chips on passenger side sill behind the front wheel had compromised the lacquer and it started to peel. This was fixed under warranty by the Ford dealer, and after which I fitted mudflaps to not only help keep the sills and underside of doors cleaner but to minimise impact damage from road chips. I was pretty happy that they did the job intended.

When changing my Fiesta in 2021 to a new TitaniumX I asked the dealer to fit mudflaps all round ( as I had done to my previous car ) so it had some protection from day1. 

Ford OEM mudflaps are straight forward to fit, no need to raise the car or remove wheels. I think the only criteria was that the temperature needed to be at least 15C to ensure the adhesive strips could secure things fully.

Do you know what part number was used for the rears pls?

• 2 weeks later...

When fitting the rear Ford flaps, do the wheels need to come off?

I found it a lot easier with the wheels off after trying with the wheels on.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 4:50 PM, BlueMike2021 said:

When fitting the rear Ford flaps, do the wheels need to come off?

I managed with wheels on no problem. The front wheels you turn to give best access to the side you are working on. The rears are tighter, but if you don’t have fingers like bananas then you should be fine. 

• Like 1

Cheers. Still undecided if I want to get them- if I do it will be because I like the look of them, rather than for the function. Hard to find decent pictures of the Ford ones fitted, though.

I fitted mud flaps to a 1990 Granada Scorpio.   They weren't on long before the rear ones were torn off when I reversed up a kerb.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club