Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Refused Remap for my Fiesta ecoboost

GreyStoneBuilding

Hi. I have been enjoying my mk8 1.0 fiesta ecoboost (100bhp) but felt I wanted a bit more power. I found what seemed an established and reputable tuning company near me in Scotland and approached them about a remap. The mechanic’s response?

”I refuse to tune this engine and any reputable company should do likewise”

”Worst engine in a modern car. They go pop even without tuning”

”Do yourself a favour and walk away”

I was flabbergasted and pretty dispirited. Is there merit to what he says or is this some kind of prejudice or something? Anyone else experienced this? I can’t find anything online to back up what he says and I’m at a loss what to do now as I still want some extra horses…

There is some truth in what he's saying.  In the 'modified scene' we saw plenty of 1.0EB's blow in the early days because of excessive remaps and especially pop & bang maps...   The engine is capable of big power, but not reliably!

However, if you only want a normal 'conservative' map, (around 145bhp), then they're generally ok. There are plenty of people running those reliably for years.  I'd suggest he's either a poor mapper, or very set on one specific marque such as VAG or BMW...

• Like 3

...or he's done something to one in the past and landed himself in some kind of dispute.

• Like 3

Your not the only one to told not to remap the latest Ford then.

I enquired a few months ago albeit on a MK4 Focus Diesel and was told it can't be done unless you have a " Bench remap" rather than a straight forward flash over the ECU.

Wether that's right ir not I dunno but I took it to the same place locally that did my Mk3 with no issues.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wino said:

Your not the only one to told not to remap the latest Ford then.

I enquired a few months ago albeit on a MK4 Focus Diesel and was told it can't be done unless you have a " Bench remap" rather than a straight forward flash over the ECU.

Wether that's right ir not I dunno but I took it to the same place locally that did my Mk3 with no issues.

Totally different issue with yours though.  The problem on the EDC17 is the encryption that stops them being flashed through OBD.  Just means it needs to be removed and flashed directly.  Cost is a bit higher but the actual mapping is easy enough.

• Like 1

Most of the problems reported on here with remapped Fiesta ecoboosts seem to centre on the 5 speed gearbox on the Mk 7.5, rather than the engine itself. Not seen any issues with the box in the Mk 8.

Firms like Superchips and Quantum offer fairly conservative remaps to around the 145 mark which, as Tom suggests, shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1

They didn't call it the 'ecoboom' for nothing. 

Having said that, my wife had a 1.0eb mk7.5 (2013 & 2015) which both ran like a dream for 40K miles each before we sold them.  Don't be disheartened, they put a lot of money and research into the 1.0eb and they are much more reliable now.

The EB is one of the best engines out there,i have the old Ti-vct 1.6 but will never say no if i ever wanted one.

Thanks folks. I was a bit disheartened but I did some reading and it does seem there is a thing with the 2011-2014 models having a dodgy coolant pipe that burst a lot. Seems an old issue though and thoroughly fixed... A holdover from this maybe?

I reckon I'll stick with the advice here and aim for a modest map at around 140bhp? No bang or pops or crazy torque.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of professional mechanics call these 'Eco-Boom' engines and steer well clear of them. The 'wet-belt' system is great in theory, but, in practice is beset with issues. Personally, I would leave it well alone.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 1:59 PM, Jonro2009 said:

which both ran like a dream for 40K miles each before we sold them. 

and that's the secret to being a happy 1.0 ecoboost owner.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club