Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eureka !! Focus Mk4 (and others) Start/Stop and Drive Mode

unofix

Eureka !!           Ford Focus  Mk4 (and others)

Start / Stop selection problem solved !

Drive mode selection position remembered !

Firstly I must begin by saying that I take no credit for this device, it is the work of an ingenious electronics engineer called Piotr who lives in Poland.

Details can be found at the website: formod.eu

The very professionally made device is easy to install and does exactly what it says on tin.

After connecting the 4 wires you simply programme the device to work how you would like your Start/Stop system and your Drive Mode to behave.

I have installed it on my RHD - 2019 Focus Mk4 2.0 Diesel automatic which took about 40 minutes. It then took about 5 minutes to programme, which would have taken less if I knew what I was doing.

So what does it do ?              I have mine set as follows:-

10 seconds after the engine has started the device automatically acts as if I had pressed the button to turn the Start/Stop system ‘OFF’. I can if I want simply press the button and turn the system back on (not sure why I would want to do that ?).

It means that now every time I get in and start the car, 10 seconds later the Start/Stop system will be turned off – Fantastic !!

The drive mode offers two functions. Firstly you can have the device automatically select your preferred drive mode (Normal – Eco – Sport ) each time you start the engine. The second function of the drive mode selection is that you can select a time delay before the mode is engaged (10sec, 30sec, 65sec).

I have the device set to select ‘Sports Mode’  65 seconds after starting the engine which gives me enough time to drive out the street in the default Normal mode before Sports Mode is engaged

At any time both the Start/Stop button or the Drive Mode selection buttons can be pressed in the normal way to override the automatic selection.

Finally I would like to welcome @piotrmod to the Ford Owners Club and thank him for allowing me to evaluate this device.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome Piotr, I’ve polish relatives, all I know in Polish is Sto Lat ! So unless it’s your birthday I’ve got nothing! Lol 

• Like 1

Sports mode as default is all very well in a diesel , bit pricey with a petrol engine..

5 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

bit pricey with a petrol engine..

You could always go for the 'Miss Daisy' mode 🤣

• Haha 3

Why disable stop start in the first place if you have selected sport mode as your preffered driving style ?

16 minutes ago, unofix said:

because sometimes I use 'normal' mode

You’ve set it to eco mode but don’t want to admit it! 

• Haha 2

I very rarely use the sport mode, as when I'm on the motorway with the cruise control set at 70mph the car stays in 7th gear and will not change up to 8th unless I use the paddle and then indicates that I need to change down.

Never worry about the stop/start as it never works even with long journeys.

If my car was a manual then I probably would use sport mode all the time.👍 

But how much is it and what’s involved in fitting it?

Just a little update, the device is working very well and not had any problems. The only one change I would like is a 5 minute delay before it selects the drive mode. 

I get why people would want to be able to change these things as default but what I don't get is why people would spend 45 minutes and whatever it costs when it's basically a simple press of a button.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

I get why people would want to be able to change these things as default but what I don't get is why people would spend 45 minutes and whatever it costs when it's basically a simple press of a button.

If you look at the latest version of the Golf (mk8) most of the complaints on both reviews and forums are the lack of buttons to press 😄

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

when it's basically a simple press of a button.

Keep pressing the buttons while you still can Andrew. In less than 3 years the buttons will all be gone and you will be stuck with what ever the manufacture has been told to set by the politicians.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 8:57 AM, Wino said:

If you look at the latest version of the Golf (mk8) most of the complaints on both reviews and forums are the lack of buttons to press 😄

I’ve one eye on a golf 8. No physical buttons initially put me off but Sync4 also has no buttons (afaik) apart from a volume dial ! 
I think there’s a max button for clearing the windscreen and a hazard light button. 
Even the steering wheel buttons aren’t normal buttons. Give a little rumble feedback to let u know it’s worked..

• Sad 1

Hold your horses on the Golf 8. Theres an overhaul of the infotainment system already due to bugs n glitches within.

The early mk8's are going to have to wait for recall to fix the issues.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Wino said:

A man with a big bag buttons they forgot to fit ? 🤣

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, unofix said:

Let's hope there not made of chocolate like my brain this morning. Spent an hour turning the house apart looking for the tunnel rat cable. Convinced I left it with the laptop upstairs in the spare room on the viewing chair 😉nope not there. Every cupboard / drawer upstairs and downstairs all the units checked and double checked. Opened the safe, nope, no luck.

Picked the laptop up off of the chair and BINGO.....its hiding under the laptop. Yep the same damn laptop I put back there yesterday afternoon..... 🙄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Let's hope not...  They've already made the Mk8 Golf too Focussy for me...  Might end up with this abomination in there too!! :unsure: 

ford focus mk3 gps antenna OFF 68% |

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alex.S said:

I’ve one eye on a golf 8. No physical buttons initially put me off but Sync4 also has no buttons (afaik) apart from a volume dial ! 
I think there’s a max button for clearing the windscreen and a hazard light button. 
Even the steering wheel buttons aren’t normal buttons. Give a little rumble feedback to let u know it’s worked..

Have you considered the Mk4 Leon?  Same dash setup unfortunately but seem to be better specced than the Golf's with shorter waiting times afaik.  They also do a PHEV version, similar to the GTE, which might suit you.  Only looked into it after seeing one plugged in on my estate last week!

Annoyingly they don't seem to do optional extras though, as I'd have been tempted by an Xcellence if I could add DCC...  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Have you considered the Mk4 Leon? 

Yes, couple of those near me. All the reviews I've seen are in similar vein to the comments on the Mk 8 Golf - quite a good car in itself but not as good as the previous version. And lots of negative comments on the dash set up, as with all the current iterations of that platform - A3, Golf, Leon and Octavia - though the Octy seems to annoy least.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

All the reviews I've seen are in similar vein to the comments on the Mk 8 Golf - quite a good car in itself but not as good as the previous version.

And this is the main issue for anyone using MB...  We're stuck with new choices only. :sad:  Still waiting to hear if I'm eligible (4 months waiting so far... :rolleyes: ) but even if I am, I'm really stuck finding something suitable.  Obviously ride comfort is the main criteria, nothing too rough over poor surfaces, and nothing too bouncy and rolly either.  But also want to avoid digital dash and high up infotainment screens if possible.  Closest I can find so far is probably the Scala (16" alloys, analogue dash and optional heated windscreen) but reviews on ride comfort seem to be mixed, often suggesting the Golf is smoother...although possibly with the addition of DCC (£975) on the Golf.  Reviews are generally suggesting the Leon is less comfortable than the Golf as well.  And of course, have to choose a 150ps engine to get IRS in the Golf...that means a choice of the jerky 1.5 TSI...or the 2.0 TDI 150 which is only available with DSG, which isn't going to work for me either! :unsure:  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Wino said:

Hold your horses on the Golf 8. Theres an overhaul of the infotainment system already due to bugs n glitches within.

Good to know 👍 

I’ll be ordering end of June. 
I’ll be interested to see what the Mk4.5 brings. The 1L 155 with the 7 speed auto box is a possibility, I’m sure it’ll be cheaper than the VW equivalent too. But I’m really hoping for a plug in hybrid. High AP though (advance payment) already. Next years AP prices and models available on Motability are due to be released on 1st January. 

2 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Good to know 👍 

I’ll be ordering end of June. 
I’ll be interested to see what the Mk4.5 brings. The 1L 155 with the 7 speed auto box is a possibility, I’m sure it’ll be cheaper than the VW equivalent too. But I’m really hoping for a plug in hybrid. High AP though (advance payment) already. Next years AP prices and models available on Motability are due to be released on 1st January. 

Still sat on the fence as to what to get next time around.

Doesn't seem too many options available in this current climate but I don't think I'll be changing just yet but still keep looking....." car *****" as my better half keeps saying 😲

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

4 months waiting so far... :rolleyes:

Best of luck with that Tom. Was it a phone call assessment? I’ve got 20 months left then need to renew for a condition that they already know isn’t ever getting better!
Ideally you could pick a nearly new car (golf 7 for you iirc?) especially with lead times etc on brand new. The value of used cars just now is incredible. Mine was 28k, now 2 1/2 years later 23k 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

The value of used cars just now is incredible. Mine was 28k, now 2 1/2 years later 23k 

The shortage of microchips has had a huge impact on resale values.

It's pushed up prices by a long way which is great if you getting rid but not so good if your buying.

I did consider selling ours end of November when WBAC were offering almost what I paid for ours after owning it for 2yrs.

• Like 1