Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus steering rack woes

tank121

I had the rack replaced on my 2011/12 Focus Titanium 1.6 125 by Ford in February 2019 after getting the well known warning light. I went for a new 3rd party option.

My steering has started to make a grinding noise a low speeds and turning the wheel.

An independent garage has said it's the rack again.

How bad are these racks?

Are they not supposed to last the life time of the car? Is this year and model especially bad?

Who made the 3rd party rack? It's the 2015 Bosch ones that have been problematic on the Mk5 Mondeo, so possibly could be the same build date? For clarity, is it the rack that's failing or have the bolts holding the EPAS motor sheared and caused the rack to fail?

I’ll try and find out when Ford inspect it on Friday.

If it needs replacing again has anyone had experience dealing with Western Powering Steering for a reconditioned unit quoted  £475 including delivery which includes a 2yr warranty. They are based in Bristol, any alternatives in the North West, East Cheshire. 

21 hours ago, tank121 said:

How bad are these racks?

Are they not supposed to last the life time of the car? Is this year and model especially bad?

people yet to realise the "affordable" age of a car is three years, the joke of 4 is to get the used ones off the forecourt, then the slaves can suffer - should have leased it is the "approved answer" - never mind greta might have a point

see to get this plan to work you have to close the UK factories as we might have morals and suggest building them to die is unacceptable - German's just took the pragmatic approach OK you think we'll accept that, we'll just negotiate 55k a year and be able to afford to lease one

shame not a single idiot between the floor sweeper and the CEO considered the environmental damage - across the automotive sector that's what 15million humans that are culpable

So Ford have had a look and said it is the rack but the motor etc is OK. There is water coming out of the gaiter and I do now recall driving down a country road with deep puddles during the decent down pour.

Do I just hope the water will slowly drain out and the noise corrects itself as I've hardly used the car since?

If it’s grinding because it’s got water in I can’t see it mending itself by leaving it to drain out. Can it all drain out ?  I don’t know how it got in.  I think it might at least need undoing gaiters where the meet the rack body. Moving the rack from end to end many times to try to remove all water . Clean up any gritty bits, it might not have been clean water. Regrease it all and put gaiters back on. Even then that might not get new grease in all the right places.  Buts it probably what I would do. But I don’t suppose access is particularly easy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, isetta said:

If it’s grinding because it’s got water in I can’t see it mending itself by leaving it to drain out. Can it all drain out ?  I don’t know how it got in.  I think it might at least need undoing gaiters where the meet the rack body. Moving the rack from end to end many times to try to remove all water . Clean up any gritty bits, it might not have been clean water. Regrease it all and put gaiters back on. Even then that might not get new grease in all the right places.  Buts it probably what I would do. But I don’t suppose access is particularly easy. 

I'd agree with what you're saying too, not that I'm well experienced in this. If it was me then I would like to see what's going on and check the ingress hasn't damaged anything. You hit standing water and it will get inside parts with quite a force, so the grinding could possible be a symptom of damage unfortunately

My mk 2 was making a grating noise. 130k miles. Did a lot of testing and it turned out to be a top mount. Couldn't believe my luck! Could be worth checking.

• 1 month later...

So car is booked in for another replacement rack at my local Ford Garage. Not the original Ford ones but a 3rd party one at the cost of £812 all in, comes with 12 mths warranty.

The other option is a refurbished one from a company in Bristol -

https://shop.westernpowersteering.co.uk/

It would be £350 & labour from a local garage but comes with a 2yr warranty.

Which option would you recommend?

Checked again with the company in Bristol it is actually £475.00. They want the original back too but as mine is a 3rd party one supplied by Ford they won't take it, so another £150 supplement on top so £625 plus probably about £200 labour from the local garage 😞

I used western power steering when my mk3 power steering died (total loss of power steering after months of intermittent not starting up).

The unit they sent was like new in a big plastic crate and cost me £600 in total after paying my local garage for fitting, the price includes them collecting the old unit. It's a shame they won't take your old unit though.

Never had a problem afterwards and sold the car on when I upgraded to a newer car a year or so ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Right fellas I've managed to find a small independent recommended garage that are replacing it for £660 all in.

They have a choice of 2 racks. One from CPS Drive link or Eurocarparts Hirsch.

Do you have any experience of either and what would you recommend?

Need to decide before tomorrow so the part can be ordered. Thanks in advance.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club