Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Leaking Into The Boot

Matt200vvc

Hi, First post on the forum so hello all.

Need a bit of help please, water is leaking in to the boot on my 1999 focus.

I tracked the leak to the flap that sit's behind the verical carpet just above the wheel arch.

Question is, how do i fix this? Also where can i get a new flap from - mine looks quite perished.

Post 10 in this topic pretty much sums the problem up:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9769

Thanks for reading

Matt

Hi, First post on the forum so hello all.

Need a bit of help please, water is leaking in to the boot on my 1999 focus.

I tracked the leak to the flap that sit's behind the verical carpet just above the wheel arch.

Question is, how do i fix this? Also where can i get a new flap from - mine looks quite perished.

Post 10 in this topic pretty much sums the problem up:

http://www.fordowner...?showtopic=9769

Thanks for reading

Matt

are we positive its from the flap reason i ask is and just done one for a friend the rear light if you look has a torq screw holding it on visible when you open the boot under here is a plastic nut this nut distorts and allows water in once in it drips down the inside of the metal frame and if you look at the boot carpet to the right or left youll see a box section of meetal with a large hole in it water drops into hear and starts filling the boot up to fix that issue is simple take the rear light off and get some clear flexible frame sealant and seal all around the edges of this plastic nut leave to dry and replace also make sure you dont do it all up too tight as if you tighten the top screw first then do the large interior one up you start pulling at the plastic nut creating a gap.

if it is the boot flap i cpouldnt even suggest at the mo till i can have a look at mine it would be strange for it to be leaking so much best advice is get a large bottle jug etc of water and por it over the rear light then look in and check given the location and angle of the flap water from there would be minimal so i suggest looking at it again

are we positive its from the flap reason i ask is and just done one for a friend the rear light if you look has a torq screw holding it on visible when you open the boot under here is a plastic nut this nut distorts and allows water in once in it drips down the inside of the metal frame and if you look at the boot carpet to the right or left youll see a box section of meetal with a large hole in it water drops into hear and starts filling the boot up to fix that issue is simple take the rear light off and get some clear flexible frame sealant and seal all around the edges of this plastic nut leave to dry and replace also make sure you dont do it all up too tight as if you tighten the top screw first then do the large interior one up you start pulling at the plastic nut creating a gap.

if it is the boot flap i cpouldnt even suggest at the mo till i can have a look at mine it would be strange for it to be leaking so much best advice is get a large bottle jug etc of water and por it over the rear light then look in and check given the location and angle of the flap water from there would be minimal so i suggest looking at it again

Thank's for the reply,

I'm 99.9% sure it's coming from the flap.

First thing i did when i saw the leak was dry it out, then with the carpets etc removed i attacked the car with the hose pipe. If you spray the hose at the boot where it meets the bumper then water is coming in through the flap.

I'll check the plastic nut and seal it anyway tonight just to rule it out, however i don't think its the cause of my problem.

• 3 months later...

Thank's for the reply,

I'm 99.9% sure it's coming from the flap.

First thing i did when i saw the leak was dry it out, then with the carpets etc removed i attacked the car with the hose pipe. If you spray the hose at the boot where it meets the bumper then water is coming in through the flap.

I'll check the plastic nut and seal it anyway tonight just to rule it out, however i don't think its the cause of my problem.

Sorry to bump such an old thread.

I've still got this problem, I checked all the seals on the rear cluster and put silicon around them all and it's still !Removed! leaking!

Water is definatly coming through the flap, It seems the water runs doen to the corner of the rear bumper and makes it way in through the flap.

Really need this sorting as the car stinks! Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt

• 11 months later...

Hi all first post, got the same problem water into boot on my 2010 focus, stripped out the trim dreading trying to put it all back again, but have found the water is coming in from the passenger side rear quarter light window, cannot seem to reseat the seal (very tight) have emailed autoglass for a quote and have emailed ford (not holding out much hope of help from them though)anyone else had this problem and managed to sort it????

Hi all first post, got the same problem water into boot on my 2010 focus, stripped out the trim dreading trying to put it all back again, but have found the water is coming in from the passenger side rear quarter light window, cannot seem to reseat the seal (very tight) have emailed autoglass for a quote and have emailed ford (not holding out much hope of help from them though)anyone else had this problem and managed to sort it????

I would take it to Ford its still under warranty and get them to fix it

Hi thanks but was under the impression that it was classed as a trim problem which was a years warranty?