Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disappointed with the lack of locking petrol cap

VALLEYVEGAN

Having picked up my 2018 1.0  ecoboost yesterday, I was amazed that a car with such technology( Satnav/B&O sound system etc), has a petrol filler door that doesnt lock. Surely it wouldnt have cost much for Ford to have put a door with a locking bolt that locks when you lock the car, not leaving access for every tom ***** and harry when the car is locked and parked up? Most other makes have this feature.

It's all to do with their 'easy fuel' system, they claim it's very hard to steal fuel by syphening with this system in place. 

Make sure you have the special 'tool' in the boot, normally in the spare wheel well or directly behind the rear seats when you lay them flat. You will need this tool of you ever need to use a Jerry can. 

• Like 1

I do agree though, it wouldn't hurt to put a lock on the filler flap itself.

I too was dismayed when I got my 2015 fiesta and found it like that

Don't worry out of all the Fiestas we have had, none have ever had attempted siphoning.

The easy fuel and anti syphon system has always worked as it says for us.

There is a metal mesh to stop siphoning. If a thief wants to steal your fuel they won’t be bothered by a locked flap they’ll just drill the tank. 

If it’s about stopping someone doing damage there are plenty of other critical parts that are exposed. Or they’ll just damage all the body panels.

• Thanks 1

Rather than the risk of syphoning, I would be more concerned about some idiot putting something maliciously into the tank??!

1 minute ago, willowbob said:

Rather than the risk of syphoning, I would be more concerned about some idiot putting something maliciously into the tank??!

What about cutting brake lines, blocking the exhaust or slashing/deflating tyres? None of that is protected. If someone wants to damage your car a locking filler won't stop them.

12 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

It's all to do with their 'easy fuel' system, they claim it's very hard to steal fuel by syphening with this system in place. 

Make sure you have the special 'tool' in the boot, normally in the spare wheel well or directly behind the rear seats when you lay them flat. You will need this tool of you ever need to use a Jerry can. 

Hi, Am not aware of this special tool, does anyone know what it looks like or part no.? ty

It's a white nozzle. Ours are situated in the wheel well with the tyre inflation kit.

Locks are only ever there to keep 'honest' people out !

Just now, Chainsawcharlie said:

A shewee 🙂

Don't think the 'wee' has a high enough octane rating to actually run the car LOL

The amount my wife drinks at Christmas a tank full of wee might work 🙂

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

The longer I keep this car the more I discover and the less I like both it and Ford.

Its the Seat or Skoda next for me

Because the filler hasn’t got a lock?

3 hours ago, willowbob said:

Such as? 

27 minutes ago, MarksST said:

Because the filler hasn’t got a lock?

Such as? 

I though we'd already discussed the 'wee' situation... LOL

5 hours ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

The longer I keep this car the more I discover and the less I like both it and Ford.

Its the Seat or Skoda next for me

There's always an element of luck in these things. My previous vehicle (SEAT Leon) was beset by irritating problems including faulty start/stop system (sounds familiar on here too!😀), starter motor failure, refusal to play certain types of media, cracking tail lights (common fault) and an apparently incurable engine management glitch causing "kangarooing" and general driveability issues. Dealer service was - how shall I put it - on the chocolate teapot level of usefulness.

My wife's Mii, on the other hand, which she has now had for over 7 years, has been no bother at all, but has been serviced by the local garage since the warranty expired. 

On the fuel flap issue, in 50+ years I've never experienced fuel syphoning or other vandalism of the fuel system though had radios and complete cars stolen.

I rather like the easyfuel system myself.

• Like 2