Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashcam features using built in cameras.

tonycollinet

So having just fitted a dashcam for my daughter, I'm thinking about my own requirements.

My car (Focus vignale) has two cameras fitted - reversing camera, and front camera for headlight/road detection etc functions"

As far as I can tell, Ford offers no function (either standard or as a paid upgrade) to use these for dashcam purposes. Is this correct? It seems such an obvious value add.

If correct does anyone know the reason?
Thanks

16 minutes ago, tonycollinet said:

So having just fitted a dashcam for my daughter, I'm thinking about my own requirements.

My car (Focus vignale) has two cameras fitted - reversing camera, and front camera for headlight/road detection etc functions"

As far as I can tell, Ford offers no function (either standard or as a paid upgrade) to use these for dashcam purposes. Is this correct? It seems such an obvious value add.

If correct does anyone know the reason?
Thanks

It beggars belief tbh. With all the tech in cars nowadays. It can't be that hard to have dashcam fitted as an optional extra. 

I've been back to our local main dealer to ask for a heated steering wheel and got told a blunt no. It can cause too many issues to fit it afterwards.

My own view is, they can't be arsed. 

46 minutes ago, unofix said:

Ford offer a dashcam as a dealer fit option.

That depends on whether your local dealer are prepared to fit it. 

Ours arnt unfortunately.

Wish Ford, as well as other manufacturers had factory installed usb c ports behind the rear mirror. I know with Skoda at least, you can specify a usb c port behind the rear mirror for a dash cam. 

it should be standard imo

4 minutes ago, Nismex said:

Wish Ford, as well as other manufacturers had factory installed usb c ports behind the rear mirror. I know with Skoda at least, you can specify a usb c port behind the rear mirror for a dash cam. 

it should be standard imo

Sod the USB ports a dashcam should come as standard nowadays. You would think the insurers would be pushing for them to put in.

Point is - the cameras are already there. What is the point of installing more - just add the software. Sell it if necessary.

• Like 1

The camera behind the windshield is not a normal camera.

The camera behind the windshield is a high resolution black and white camera. The camera is integrated into a control module that constantly processes the camera image. The system can detect for example:

* Ambient light intensity.
* Light intensity in distance (other traffic).
* Traffic signs.
* Road markings.
* Distance to objects (other traffic).

This camera is not suitable to be used as a dashcam. Even if you are able to get an image from the camera it will not result in a usable image.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club