Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2020 Kuga Towing

Edge of Reason

I have a 2020 Kuga ST Line X and am considering getting a tow bar fitted. I want a detachable tow hitch and as the car is in warranty I need dedicated electrics. I have sent a quote request to my dealer who have quoted £1285 fitted and coded. 

I also sent a request to Towbar Express, who can fit a Witter detachable unit with dedicated electrics with coding for £775.79, which is quite a huge difference. 

Now my dilemma is that Ford say they need to cut a section out of the rear bumper. Towbar Express say they don’t have to cut the bumper on a standard model but might on a non-standard model. I’m assuming mine would be classed as non-standard as it’s an ST Line X, so has a certain pattern of bumper that differs from lower spec versions. 

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket tow bar to their new shape Kuga or had one fitted at manufacture who can confirm what cutting is required and what it looks like.  

The ST Line / ST Line X has a section in the rear bumper that looks pretty much the size of what Ford say they’ll need to cut out.  I’ve attached a PDF showing what Ford say needs cut out. 

Tow Bar Cut.pdf

I see your problem. Personally I would get Ford to do the electrics, especially since your car is still in warranty.

I've no idea if this is even an option but what if you asked for a quote from Towbar Express to just fit the tow bar (no electrics), and then get a price from Ford just to fit the towing module and programming ?

As you say I’m not sure if that is an option. Something to consider though. Towbar Express does say they provide dedicated electrics that comes as a loom rather than being spliced into existing wiring like a conventional aftermarket Towbar, plus they will do whatever coding is required. 

Ford now use a 'Trailer Module'

Your car has a Canbus system that controls just about everything. The trailer module operates the lights on what ever it it is you tow, but the controlling signals is via the canbus system.

The use of third party equipment will with out doubt invalidate the warranty if you have any kind of electrical problems. Then what will follow is a Mexican Stand Off as everyone blames each other for the problem.

This is their quote….

Vehicle Specific Wiring

Each kit is designed specifically for the vehicle it is fitted to. Rather than soldering or using 'Scotch Locks' to connect the towbar wiring, which is the case with universal aftermarket wiring, these kits interface with the vehicle systems in the same way as the vehicle manufacturer intended. If your vehicle is less than three years old or is still within its manufacturer's warranty, you would need vehicle specific wiring to protect that warranty. Other towing functions such as Trailer Stability Control (available on your car) could be activated when vehicle specific wiring is fitted. This is vehicle dependant as towing functions vary from car to car.”

• Like 1

I would go for the tobwar express one. Will be wired up pretty much the same with a towbar module ( obviously non ford. ) And programmed the same. 

Where I work we have multiple contractors in every day doing 30+ towbars using non o.e wiring and modules. No issues. 

• Like 1

Yes the quote from Towbar Express seems to address the 'trailer module' issue. So if it is only going to be plugged in to the vehicle wiring as was intended by Ford, then I agree with Ian that it should not present a problem.

Looks like you are safe to save a few ££££'s without the worry. 👍

My only concern then is how much of the bumper is cut out to facilitate the fit. I want a detachable hitch and my hope was that with the hitch removed, nobody would know the car had a towbar fitted. It all depends on what is cut out and how much of the fittings are visible. 

Normally cuts to bumpers for towbars are underneath and not visible unless your lay on the floor. 

Recently had a Witter detachable towbar fitted to my MK3 2020 Kuga ST LINE 2.0l derv.Underside of bumper cut out not visible,also heat shield partial cut out.Dedicated electrics aftermarket fitted ,no associated problems 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Firefighter blue said:

Recently had a Witter detachable towbar fitted to my MK3 2020 Kuga ST LINE 2.0l derv.Underside of bumper cut out not visible,also heat shield partial cut out.Dedicated electrics aftermarket fitted ,no associated problems 

Great. Can you tell when the hitch is removed that it has a towbar fitted ?  Also did you get dedicated electrics ?  

1 hour ago, Edge of Reason said:

Can you tell when the hitch is removed that it has a towbar fitted ?  Also did you get dedicated electrics ?

Underside of bumper cut out not visible

Dedicated electrics aftermarket fitted

• Haha 1

Brilliant. Thanks. I think the non-Ford fit is the way to go then. It’s several hundred pounds cheaper than Ford. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ve gone for the Towbar Express fitment and it’s getting fitted on Wednesday. I checked reviews and whilst there are a few negative ones, by far most reviews are very positive. I have confirmation by email that they will fit plug in dedicated wiring. So fingers crossed all should be good. Over £500 cheaper than Ford.  I’ve gone for 13 pin, with a 7 pin adapter to future proof it. 

“The vehicle specific wiring ordered will connect into your vehicle's computer and maintains the manufacturer's warranty.”

• Like 1

Well I got the Towbar fitted this morning. 13 pin, dedicated electrics, a small cut to the heat shield but no cuts to the bumper and completely invisible when disconnected, so I’m a happy bunny. 
Only one issue in that the electronic gizmo the fitter had to code the electrics, didn’t have settings for the Kuga 3 installed.  He has to download software tonight and will come back tomorrow.  Not a big deal, so hopefully it all goes swimmingly tomorrow. 

• Like 1

All sorted.  Fitter returned with his updated gizmo.  Everything coded and appears to work correctly.  When disconnected all is normal and when electrics are plugged in, rear parking sensors, fog light and BLIS are all disabled.  On the rear camera, the trailer image appears and everything seems hunky dory.

For anyone considering a Towbar, I would recommend Towbar Express.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is there not an option to retro fit the retractable towbar it was on £650 when i spec'd it at order 

16 minutes ago, Clarky94 said:

Is there not an option to retro fit the retractable towbar it was on £650 when i spec'd it at order 

I’ve never seen a retro-fit retractable available.  Certainly the dealer only gave me two options, fixed or removable.  I know the fit at order price is far cheaper than a retro-fit, as everything is done at source, so there is no stripping down of any parts, therefore far cheaper.  If I’d known I was going to be towing when I ordered the car I would have ordered the retractable tow bar at source.

• 6 months later...

I have a 2015 titanium x spots kuga Automatic can l tow with this car safely 

9 hours ago, Floor said:

I have a 2015 titanium x spots kuga Automatic can l tow with this car safely 

The exact towing capacity of your vehicle depends on the engine size and whether it’s all wheel drive or front wheel drive. On your VIN plate in the engine bay or on one of the front door strike panels it will tell you 4 weights. The gross weight of the vehicle, the train weight (vehicle plus trailer gross weight) and the front and rear axle weights. 

As an approximate guide, if you take the two axle weights away from the train weight, this gives the weight you can tow. It’s not exact, but if you do that with my VIN plate shown, you get 2080kgs. I know my car is rated for 2100kgs, so it’s a pretty close guide. 

D8014C0D-4B5F-4555-8E31-4F1424E9B4D8.jpeg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club