Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2005 Fiesta Zetec S-A issue when in 3rd gear

Kc3993

My automatic Fiesta has developed a problem where sometimes when it's in third gear the revs go really high and acceleration stops working. Sometimes it's only for a second or two, but occasionally it doesn't go back to normal and I have to turn the engine off and restart. It happens at most 1x per journey and it doesn't happen every time. I've never experienced it in any gear other than 3rd.

I'm taking it to a garage next week but it would be useful to have an idea of what the problem might be. If anyone else has had this issue or could suggest what the problem might be that would be great (I'm thinking it's maybe the computer thing, but I'm hoping not as I guess that's an expensive part).

Thanks!

When was the gearbox last serviced / fluid levels checked or topped up.

Even with so called “sealed for life” some maintenance can go a long way.

• Like 1

How many miles has the transmission done?

When was the fluid last checked for level?

When was the fluid last changed?

First, check that the oil level is correct, the correct fluid is fitted and it is not going brown.

If it's starting to turn then change the fluid first.

It sounds like you have a sticking solenoid, though

Auto box repairs can be quite expensive, if you research the model number of your box, you may be able to change the fluid yourself and even clean the solenoids your self. 

• Like 1

Also,

Was Zetec-S even offered with an auto??

I fear not

Thanks everyone, the car has done 45,000 miles. I have the car serviced every year but to be honest I don't know whether the transmission fluid is checked as part of that, and I can't find how to check it myself in the manual or online - I can't see a second dipstick or obvious location to check under the bonnet and the manual doesn't say anything. It's quite frustrating but I'll keep looking (as you can tell, I don't know much at all about cars!).

I can see that modern Fiestas have 'no maintenance' gearboxes that make it difficult to check fluid levels, but I can't see when they started doing that.

On the S-A think I don't know, when I put my reg into a site it said it was a Zetec Climate S-A but it might be wrong!

Hello @Kc3993 the gearbox is unfortunately never included here in the UK with a regular service. It's something that you specifically have to request. There is no easy way to check the level of the transmission fluid. It will be fair to say that due to age the transmission is well overdue for service, it's done well to last this long.

Although Ford for some very bizarre reason claim many gearbox's and other transmission components (haldex units on AWD) to be sealed for life and 'maintenance free' that is untrue and misleading.

Expect to pay around £300 for the service of the automatic box but in most cases it will restore it's operation. Ignoring the situation that is developing will lead to irreversible damage and eventually complete failure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kc3993 said:

Thanks everyone, the car has done 45,000 miles. I have the car serviced every year but to be honest I don't know whether the transmission fluid is checked as part of that, and I can't find how to check it myself in the manual or online - I can't see a second dipstick or obvious location to check under the bonnet and the manual doesn't say anything. It's quite frustrating but I'll keep looking (as you can tell, I don't know much at all about cars!).

I can see that modern Fiestas have 'no maintenance' gearboxes that make it difficult to check fluid levels, but I can't see when they started doing that.

On the S-A think I don't know, when I put my reg into a site it said it was a Zetec Climate S-A but it might be wrong!

KC, you're still not giving us full spec of vehicle.

If it's a 1.6 then it's a conventional auto

But if it's a 1.4 it's a robotised manual and you just need a new clutch or the clutch mechanism adjusted/lubricating.

• Like 1

Thanks, it's a 1.4 so it sounds like it may be the clutch - I'll take it to my usual garage, then.

1 hour ago, Kc3993 said:

Thanks, it's a 1.4 so it sounds like it may be the clutch - I'll take it to my usual garage, then.

Thanks.

The 1.4 is an automated manual gearbox so has a conventional clutch.

Check the clutch mechanism and selector mechanism is fully adjusted and lubricated before you let people pull the box apart

• Like 1

This is a common problem and gets worse in winter months.
There is a shifter mechanism bolted onto the side of the gearbox, 2 motors control the gear selection.
One of the selector shafts sticks in the bearing/sleeve which it slides in.
There is a great post here for fixing it, local garages won't touch this box and a dealer will only replace the unit.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club