Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drivers wing mirror

kmoore04uk

Hi People, On Wednesday evening on the way home from work I had an idiot driver heading towards me at a speed which was far too fast for this road. He took out my drivers wing mirror and the attached photos are the result. Bear in  mind that this lane will barely take 2 cars side by side. It was totally dark with no street lights and it was pouring down at the time. It was unusually busy for some reason. All I heard was a bang and that was it, I was left with just the glass section hanging down and clattering the door. I pulled over but he (or she) didn't stop. I turned around but couldn't find any of the bits. Think they must be in the drain.

I checked out my dashcam footage but the number plate was unreadable because of the reflective surface of the plate. The motor seems to work ok, can I just buy the outside bits and put it back together? Also cost ideas?

20220107_161253.jpg

20220107_161226.jpg

Only a limited number of parts of the wing mirror are available as spare parts.

The spare parts that are available are the mirror glass, painted mirror cover, indicator light and footwell light.

The mirror housing is part of the complete wing mirror and is not separately available.

Hmm, this sounds like expensive now. I presume the bottom black bit is the mirror housing. I was going to go trough my insurance but the excess is £350. Can I legally drive this as it is until I can find the £350

13 minutes ago, kmoore04uk said:

I was going to go trough my insurance but the excess is £350.

It's probably not worth having a claim on your insurance. Even if you use brand new genuine Ford parts, I'd still expect the repair to be less than £350. A brand new genuine wing mirror is less than £200, and a painted cover for it is less than £100. Pattern parts would be half this cost.

You can also get a used one for way less than £140. If you hunt around on eBay you should be able to get one in the correct colour too.

18 minutes ago, kmoore04uk said:

Can I legally drive this as it is until I can find the £350

Absolutely not. Any copper that sees this will instantly pull you over, give you another bill to pay and question how the ***** hell you're able to merge/change lanes whilst driving.

1 hour ago, kmoore04uk said:

Can I legally drive this as it is until I can find the £350

You can't legally drive it

https://www.insurethebox.com/low-mileage-insurance/legal-mirror-requirements/

£350!!! I think you will find one for way less than you think on eBay

Yup, loads on e-bay but none are power folding or with puddle lights. Will keep trying tho

Cheers Ian, best one I have seen yet. I will take this one, but tomorrow I will just check the plug fitment. Not doing it now as the rain is torrential. I will just get the correct colour cover. 

• Like 1

Sorted! Just ordered the this. Total price £55.41 inc VAT and next day delivery too. OK the outer casing is in primer grey but I will either get it sprayed or if cheaper just buy the correct colour later. Thanks for all your help

• Like 1

Might be worth having another look at the hit site in daylight to see if the cover survived.  Similar thing happened to my Golf couple of years ago, mirror base was all smashed, but as the cover just used 'weak' plastic tangs it popped off and remained in tact. I managed to pick it up immediately though, I know chances of survival might be small if it's been run over since! 

I tried that yesterday morning in the daylight. I found bits if it but that's all. It was the indicator bits I really wanted because I replaced them about 6 months ago. Now I am going to have one that's LED with black lens and one normal. It's going to look sort of crosseyed. HaHa! 

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club