Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

breakdown cover

lasthope

thinking of getting some breakdown cover any info whos best

The first thing you need to decide is it 'You' or a particular 'Car' that you want cover for.

The RAC do a package that's not too costly that covers 'You' rather than the vehicle, and at least that way what ever you happen to be driving will be covered.

Of course if you only have one car and it is driven by multiple drivers then you are probably better to get the car covered.

i just one car mate and just me driving just want cover so if i breakdown any place car is towed back home

If you only have one car and nobody else ever drives it then I would get driver breakdown cover from the RAC. If you get yourself covered then if you breakdown while driving something else they will still help you.

The AA is good but no better than the RAC but more expensive. Others like Greenflag are cheaper but they use a lot of small independent garages to do the recovery work and it's very hit and miss as to how good they are.

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 4:40 PM, lasthope said:

thinking of getting some breakdown cover any info whos best

I don’t think anyone can say which is best.It’s all about your experience at the time you need them.I’m with the AA .My starter failed at home and turned up even though I don’t have the home breakdown package,which was good of them.They offered to replace my faulty starter but unfortunately their quote was expensive so decided to replace myself. 
One little niggle, but it’s probably just me, I had to answer far too many questions on the phone before my call out was active.

• Thanks 1

Recently I ran out of petrol on a motorbike.  Stupid I know but old bikes don’t have petrol gauges. I rang RAC , took ages on phone going through details twice with different people , then they said it would take 4 hours even though I was on the  edge of a city.  So I told them to forget it so I walked home (about 30-40 mins) and got petrol can. Perhaps they were busy and had staff off with covid but the telephone experience was poor.  I have cover on me as a person for an vehicle I am driving or in as a passenger.  Automatically includes motorbikes. 

In february, 2021, I took advantage of an AA membership offer of about £30.00

for basic cover and relay.

A few weeks ago, I received the renewal details and I was some what shocked

to see the cost had risen to more than £103.00

An increase of around 145%.

I decided NOT to renew, because they are all at it!

AA have an offer for £10 for a year for new cars. All dealers have a flyer and there is this special web link.

I've been using AutoAid for a few years now. Reasonable price and is personal cover, so covers me on my motorbike too. Covers you at home too, something I never had with RAC or the AA as it was always too expensive.

Have a read here and Here

I've had poor experiences with both RAC & AA.  With StartRescue now (cost about £25 a year) but would rather wreck the car limping it home than rely on a breakdown service again...obviously there are a few faults where that's not possible so always good to have the backup.

We got breakdown cover last year for the first time purely because we had a Nissan Qashqai and had a wee bit of trouble with it and no Nissan dealer up here! Cost was about £18 with Green Flag.

We've kept it on even though we've now got the EcoSport and the backing of a local Ford dealer as we go down to Inverness a couple of times a year.

Doesn't really matter up here what company you go with as one garage has the contract with all the major breakdown companies 😀

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2022 at 12:40 PM, TomsFocus said:

I've had poor experiences with both RAC & AA.  With StartRescue now (cost about £25 a year) but would rather wreck the car limping it home than rely on a breakdown service again...obviously there are a few faults where that's not possible so always good to have the backup.

Just to update this...  I've bought another used car (long story short, Golf too much hassle to get repaired and through MOT now that I can't do my own work) and wanted to swap cars on this breakdown policy.  Expected it to be free tbh...one old car for another, similar age, mileage, value, etc.  They want £12.50 to change it!! 😮 Oddly, I can 'add' it alongside the Golf for £10.  Still seems a lot for a policy that only cost £25 in the first place though.  I also can't see any way to change it into a personal (any car) policy midway through the year.  Just something to consider for anyone buying a single car policy that's likely to change car during the policy.

AA and RAC are very much similar to each other, from my experience it depends what area of the country you've broken down in. When I worked on the M1 J13-J16 on the roadworks customers I was picking up was being picked up by the AA and RAC within an hour of being dropped off by me unless it was an RTC. However, greenflag took ages to pick people up.

I'm on the M6 roadworks now and the AA and RAC are slower up here and greenflag is incredibly quick most of the time already waiting for me at services. 

All services have the ups and downs so just pick one 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club