Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying NEW Focus 2022 (facelift)

emet

Hello folks, I'm new here so I just wanna ask you what are your thoughts about NEW Focus Active 2022 (facelift) 1.5 EcoBlue (120hp/270nm) with automatic gearbox, hothach with 5 doors?

I am aware that there were issues with older models but I am gonna spend most of the time on the highway. I am asking for your advice mostly about the engine and should I consider seriously this model?

I am sorry if this topic is opened on a wrong board and please feel free to move it on a proper place.

Best regards 🙂

• Like 1

All I can say as an owner and driver of a 2019 Focus Mk4 2.0 diesel automatic, I'm very pleased with it and so far it has been well behaved. I have not driven the 1.5 diesel but would expect it to be very similar. Just please don't expect the Start/Stop system to work after the first month.

I think you will find it a great car to drive and so long as you remember it's diesel and not really suitable for the school run and popping to the corner shop then it wouldn't give you any cause for concern.

• Like 1

Good advice from my learned friend. I’ve got a petrol Mk4 180hp/240nm . 0-60 in 8.2 seconds. Not a hot hatch but pretty quick. A pleasure to drive. 
Which auto box? Mk4 8 speed torque converter dial gear selector is very good. For the Mk4.5 I’ve read maybe a 7 speed powershift. Like many others I’m waiting to see what Ford will offer us… 

• Like 1

Mk4 1.5 diesel manual here and can't fault the drive itself but like other cars they all have there niggles and rattles.

If you are ordering from new then make sure you have exactly what you want as it can be an issue to have anything fitted afterwards so make sure you have the right spec from the outset.

• Like 1

@unofixThanks for your opinion. I'm very glad that you are positive about 1.5 ecoBlue.

@Alex.SThe automatic gearbox is A8 and is with 8 gears. Because I am looking for Active model instead of ST (which is your model), the diesel engine is 1.5 litre with 120hp and 270nm. For me and my wife is enough and we don't need a more powerful engine. We are going to "cruise" with 100-140km/h on a highway and I believe that's normal driving.

@WinoYes, I am gonna order a new Focus from a dealer/factory. It will be Active equipment because it's a little bit higher than ST-Line and I believe is also a "crossover"?🤔 From the equipment I am aware of the spec and I have already chosen something. Heaters on the windscreen, rear camera, big 13'' infotainment, tinted windows, intelligent cruise control are the ones I am planing to order.  

Thanks to all for your advise. If you have other to write about Focus I am glad to read you. Thanks again and have a good time. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emet said:

Hello folks, I'm new here so I just wanna ask you what are your thoughts about NEW Focus Active 2022 (facelift) 1.5 EcoBlue (120hp/270nm) with automatic gearbox, hothach with 5 doors?

I am aware that there were issues with older models but I am gonna spend most of the time on the highway. I am asking for your advice mostly about the engine and should I consider seriously this model?

I am sorry if this topic is opened on a wrong board and please feel free to move it on a proper place.

Best regards 🙂

Hello Emet, the facelift Mk4.5 focus , as far as I know isn’t available here (uk) yet 🧐. Where are you ? And what options have you got? Any hybrid options? Apart from the mild hybrid that was available on the Mk4 . 

• Like 1

@Alex.SNo, I am not from UK, I am from Slovenia. Sorry I didn't mention this on the start so I don't know the offer in UK.

Yes we have hybrids but I have choose diesel 1.5 litre.

Here is my configuration, I believe you can use google.translate to understand the equipment I have choose.

https://konfigurator.sml.si/gaia-configurator/#/ford-vehicle/eyJ1dWlkIjoiZDkwNzE0N2QtOTk0Yy00MWI5LTkxMzEtY2E3NDJhMjE4YjFiIn0/overview

• Like 1

I can't comment on the Active version, but I've been running a 120 Ecoblue ST-Line with manual transmission for the last 3 months or so (buying used you have a restricted market!) and so far have been very pleased with the way the car drives, just need to get used to the slight turbo lag a bit. This happens to some extent even in sport mode. I am comparing it with a Skoda 1.6tdi 90 which was to Euro 5 spec (and not "dieselgate fixed") which was exceptional with strong pulling power right from just above idle with no lag.

I suspect that the effect of this turbo lag is more pronounced on the Manual, just need a lower gear sometimes than I'm used to.

Having said this I can manouvre the car at slow speeds without having to use the throttle at all, just the clutch and footbrake, which is just what I want.

Its a nice motorway/long distance cruiser, engine feels very relaxed and in the right gear in sport mode - well, its as much as I need, and I'm comparing with my MX5 so it must be OK.

Economy is on a par with the Skoda, despite the engine having available about 30% more power and torque than the Skoda (VW) unit.

Getting used to the electronics and the bits that the car decides you need to do is a pain, but that's modern cars for you.

I haven't towed the caravan with it yet though, that will be its next test!

• Like 1

Towing a caravan with the 1.5d ? 

Think you might of been better with the 2ltr 148bhp.

I feel a noticable difference with ours when having one passenger and the dog ( Boxer 36kg) in the boot so not sure how you're going to go on with a caravan.

40 minutes ago, Wino said:

Towing a caravan with the 1.5d ? 

Think you might of been better with the 2ltr 148bhp.

I feel a noticable difference with ours when having one passenger and the dog ( Boxer 36kg) in the boot so not sure how you're going to go on with a caravan.

As you know its the Torque that counts for towing, then its the gears of course.

I've towed my size of 'van (up to 13') many times in the past with a variety of vehicles - smallest being a 1.3 Cavalier (complete with family of 4, bikes etc., 3rd instead of 4th on motorway gradients!), biggest being a 2 litre Cavalier (ditto) with other Astras and Cavlaiers between, torque being between 138 and 170 on most of those.

So I'm guessing that 300nm of torque (as opposed to between 170 and 230, or less) should suffice for my needs, while at the same time getting the economy from the smaller engine for the 95% of time I don't have the 'van.  Last towed with a Ford way back, an Orion 1.6 - torque was not that great and the engine wasn't as flexible as the Vauxhall's, but the Focus' diesel feels right esp in Sport mode. 'van is about 1100kg MPTLM, I suspect yours is a tad bigger?

Only reason for moving on from the Skoda after 6 years or so is its 50kg noseweight limit which makes it more awkward to stow certain items in my nose-heavy caravan now I'm getting on a bit!

The 1.5d Focus hasn't got 300nm of torque. It can be mapped to 250nm but in it's original format it sits at 220nm AFAIA.

5 hours ago, Wino said:

The 1.5d Focus hasn't got 300nm of torque. It can be mapped to 250nm but in it's original format it sits at 220nm AFAIA.

My petrol 1.5L has 240nm (I think) 

do diesels in general have higher torque? 

just noticed the OP says 120ps / 270nm 

19 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

just noticed the OP says 120ps / 270nm 

OP has auto not manual. Would it be normal for the auto to have more torque than a manual ?

Just looked on trader and both the manual and auto have 221nm for the 1.5 diesel.

31 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

In these days of turbo's the difference is narrowing, you can grab a brochure download and see what the figures are for each variant. I was surprised a while back to find my friends 1.2 Skoda Rapid petrol had torque and fuel consumption stats that weren't too far away from my similar 1.6tdi 90.

Anyway, I've attached a snapshot from the 2019MY Focus brochure, which shows some of the petrol and diesel engines and how they compare. 300nm is about 221 foot-lbs (American money!)

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

19 hours ago, Wino said:

Would it be normal for the auto to have more torque than a manual ?

I don’t think the gearbox has anything to do with it. 
My last car was an Astra j SRi manual 

bhp 110

torque 155nm 

Weighed about 2 ton ! 

remember when SRi meant hot hatch ? Means barely mid range these days. 

Torque is measured at the engine for book figures, not at the wheels, so the gearbox doesn't change it with identical engines. 

In some cases the torque is electronically restricted in the PCM to save wrecking the gearbox where one is weaker than the other.  But generally that will reduce the BHP figure as well.

• Like 3

On 1/19/2022 at 11:37 AM, Wino said:

MK4 1.5 Ecoblue, both manual and auto, has 300NM torque, whether 95PS or 120PS

MK3.5 1.5TDCi (Engine not related) had 270NM for the manual (as the gearbox is weak) and 300NM for the Powershift Auto (as it was the same box as the 2.0 TDCi &ST)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Torque is measured at the engine for book figures, not at the wheels, so the gearbox doesn't change it with identical engines. 

In some cases the torque is electronically restricted in the PCM to save wrecking the gearbox where one is weaker than the other.  But generally that will reduce the BHP figure as well.

MK3.5 1.5 TDCi had torque limiter on 1st gear to protect weak gearbox

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

Which is quicker? In mk4s , the petrol 1.5 at 180ps and 240nm or the 1.5 diesels ? 
tbh I’ve never owned a diesel. 

Well my 2.0 diesel auto takes off like a 'bat out of hell' and that's without using sports mode !!

It's very easy to spin the wheels when pulling away quickly in wet conditions.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, unofix said:

It's very easy to spin the wheels when pulling away quickly in wet conditions.

I could spin up my old 106 non-turbo diesel easily!  That can't be used as an expression of power! :laugh:

But there's an interesting point there...torque is only useful if you can get it onto the road.  More torque often just means more wheel spin or more traction control intrusion, rather than more speed from a standing start...  The lower torque, and progressive powerband, petrol could be 'quicker' in real world conditions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Which is quicker? In mk4s , the petrol 1.5 at 180ps and 240nm or the 1.5 diesels ? 
tbh I’ve never owned a diesel. 

The petrol revs higher so will always go faster in each gear, when accelerating from standstill or rolling start.

If you were at 1500 RPM in 3rd gear, both Diesel and Petrol, say 30 MPH in 3rd gear, and floor it, initially the diesel will pull away

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

MK3.5 1.5TDCi (Engine not related) had 270NM for the manual (as the gearbox is weak) and 300NM for the Powershift Auto (as it was the same box as the 2.0 TDCi &ST)

Apologies.

Think I've got my Nm and lb/ft in a muddle 🤔....I'm blaming @StephenFord for plying us with dodgy ale yesterday 😄

Just now, Wino said:

...I'm blaming @StephenFord for plying us with dodgy ale yesterday 😄

Sorry buddy, I just grabbed a few crates that No.10 had leftover, they may have left them out in the sun too long LOL

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club