Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2010 radio upgrade

bantam_dave21

Hey,

I’ve seen various posts about radio upgrades etc, is there a consolidated post anyone knows of with which Ford units fit which models etc? There seems to be lots of higher spec units around Sony etc but as returning Ford owner it’s unclear what may fit etc.

I’ve seen some Sony units for instance that appear to have phone functionality but is that part of the car it’s removed from etc.

otherwise I’m spying an Android replacement with sat nav etc, any experience of these something like below?

Android Double Din Car Stereo GPS for Ford Focus CAMECHO 7 Inch Touch Screen Car Radio bluetooth Support WIFI/FM Radio/Dual USB for Ford Focus Mondeo C-MAX S-MAX Galaxy II Kuga (Silver) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZD1ZF9C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_EK4P2ZWE4P084P4CNGWV?psc=1

thanks guys

sorry when I say unclear what may fit I mean in what the car may like and whether say, functionality of the column controls still work and if a radio has a phone button is this in the radio or part of the car with the radio as the interface etc....

I've also just had an overboost code.....more stuff to fiddle with

Those android units can be very good, however the one you have linked is very low end. 1gb of RAM will struggle with having multiple apps open (such as DAB player, satnav etc.). Also android 6 is quite outdated now.

• Like 1

Just now, Luke4efc said:

Those android units can be very good, however the one you have linked is very low end. 1gb of RAM will struggle with having multiple apps open (such as DAB player, satnav etc.). Also android 6 is quite outdated now.

thanks Luke - that's was just the first I came across so to speak. Where is the place to look, ideal specs etc...

I used a similar unit for several years replacing the Sony head unit in my ST - from Asure if I remember right. 

Worked ok and covered the basics like radio, USB music, reverse camera, sat nav etc. No idea what RAM spec it was but based on Windows CE so pretty outdated now. I liked the way it fitted into the standard fascia for the dash. The steering wheel controls worked through a canbus box that came with the unit and loom. 

Now updated to an android tablet type - I’d suspect these are more capable of running apps and stuff that either come installed or you can download. Got mine off Aliexpress, an Owince unit. Same again with the canbus box etc so the steering wheel controls worked plus it picks up battery voltage and the settings on the climate control which is nice. 

• Like 1

I have been using aftermarket Chinese audio systems for quite a while. My experience is that a lot of these systems are quite good but there is also a lot of crap. Determining which of the systems are good and finding a good system can be quite a challenge.

I recommend the following specifications:

* OS = Android 9 or Android 10 (look for the API level).
* SoM (contains the processor) = PX5 or PX6.
* ROM memory = 4 GB 
* RAM memory = 64 GB
* USB connections = 2 or more.
* SD card slots = 1 or more.
* DSP = Recommended (devices without DSP however can also have a decent sound quality.

Apart from the specifications it is highly recommended to choose a device that is based on the MTCPlatform (MTCD, MTCE or MTCH). The MTCPlatform was developed many years ago and is since then adopted by many Chinese manufacturers. MTCPlatform devices are modular build and contain the following parts:

* Touchscreen.
* Front control panel (hardware buttons).
* Mainboard. The mainboard includes hardware like amplifier , FM radio, CD/DVC player, Front/Rear camera, WiFi, bluetooth, USB, etc.
* SoM (System on module) The SoM contains the Processor, ROM/RAM memory, Android OS, etc). 
* MCU. The MCU is a standalone OS that is integrated onto the mainboard. The MCU forms the gateway between the Android OS and the amplifier, FM radio, CD/DVD player, Front/Rear camera, etc. 
* CANbus Converter. On vehicles with a CANbus network a (brand/vehicle specific) CANbus Converter is used to convert the required CANbus communication into a standard (serial output) that is used by the audio system.
* Brand/vehicle specific wiring harness.

The wiring harness and CANbus Converter are basically the only things that make these MTCPlatform devices brand/vehicle specific. 

A big advantage of the MTCPlatform is that there is an active Android community for these devices. All MTCPlatform devices use the same software. This means that all MTCD, MTCE and MTCH ROM's (and custom ROM's) are interchangeable as long as the OS and processor are the same. On most devices it is even possible to upgrade to a different OS (from example from Android 9 to Android 10). 

• Like 1

A while back I was contemplating 'upgrading' to a new audio system, purely to get the functionality of DAB+. however, the main issue I discovered was my own stupidity. If someone could have pointed me towards a definitive unit that all it required was a simple swapping out with the current 6000CD unit, I would have jumped on board. However, there seemed to be so much 'fettling' involved to get various units to actually work as expected, I gave up & got a simple DAB converter which worked as I wanted out of the box. Not the neatest solution, but for me, entirely practical...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

If someone could have pointed me towards a definitive unit that all it required was a simple swapping out with the current 6000CD unit

I bought this one for around £200 from Eonon. (Octa core processor, 4gb ram, 64gb storage).

Then I got this USB DAB antenna and installed DAB-Z from the Play Store.

This step is optional, but if you already have DAB then you can also buy an MCX to Fakra adapter and use the existing aerial on the roof (this is what I did). This just means you don't need to stick an aerial on your windscreen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

I bought this one for around £200 from Eonon. (Octa core processor, 4gb ram, 64gb storage).

Thanks Luke, but my Mk2 is even older taking the 'square' style unit, not the sexy curved one LOL

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

A while back I was contemplating 'upgrading' to a new audio system, purely to get the functionality of DAB+. however, the main issue I discovered was my own stupidity. If someone could have pointed me towards a definitive unit that all it required was a simple swapping out with the current 6000CD unit, I would have jumped on board. However, there seemed to be so much 'fettling' involved to get various units to actually work as expected, I gave up & got a simple DAB converter which worked as I wanted out of the box. Not the neatest solution, but for me, entirely practical...

This is exactly my issue, I’d ideally like DAB and would rather pop a Ford unit in there. The rest of the Android functionality isn’t hugely important- although nav has an appeal. But then I’ve seen Sony/Ford units that have a phone button so you think yea that could be good too. But if the button only accessing something that’s part of the car (and not the stereo) and then wouldn’t work would simply a lot the hell out of me! Lol

17 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Then I got this USB DAB antenna and installed DAB-Z from the Play Store.

This step is optional, but if you already have DAB then you can also buy an MCX to Fakra adapter and use the existing aerial on the roof (this is what I did). This just means you don't need to stick an aerial on your windscreen.

That’s quite nice isn’t it, and the right style for mine….I need to research some more cos I really don’t know what to go with for the best…

Just now, bantam_dave21 said:

This is exactly my issue, I’d ideally like DAB and would rather pop a Ford unit in there.

I bought a NextBase converter with a simple Mag mount!

IMG_20201215_150355.thumb.jpg.1a536242772f611cfe6a8efe1a91a8e2.jpg

2028135754_DABMagMount.thumb.jpg.f0b672cfdb747fa0b7cf79009a7cbabd.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bantam_dave21 said:

This is exactly my issue, I’d ideally like DAB and would rather pop a Ford unit in there. The rest of the Android functionality isn’t hugely important- although nav has an appeal. But then I’ve seen Sony/Ford units that have a phone button so you think yea that could be good too. But if the button only accessing something that’s part of the car (and not the stereo) and then wouldn’t work would simply a lot the hell out of me! Lol

The phone button generally just mutes the stereo.  You need the optional additional bluetooth module to use the phone with those units.  Also worth noting it's only bluetooth for voice, can't stream music through those units.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The phone button generally just mutes the stereo.  You need the optional additional Bluetooth module to use the phone with those units.  Also worth noting it's only Bluetooth for voice, can't stream music through those units.

Ah right, I knew the red/green phone buttons muted and unmuted but I’d seen some others that have another button that reads ‘phone’ thinking of it I’ve also seen some with a Nokia module with them which perhaps explains….

edit:typo

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Thanks Luke, but my Mk2 is even older taking the 'square' style unit, not the sexy curved one LOL

It's just a case of changing the fascia and a couple small brackets (Finis: 1547964 x2).

You can also just buy a unit with the fascia already, like this one.

Android Car Radio for Ford Focus II MK2 Mondeo, Android 10 In Dash Car –  Inch Autos

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

It's just a case of changing the fascia and a couple small brackets (Finis: 1547964 x2).

You can also just buy a unit with the fascia already, like this one.

But my fascia is nicely carbonised now LOL

376168993_carbonradiotrim(2).thumb.jpg.877f3c0d49018e57a56c4e70147d8989.jpg

• Like 1

So this needs an external module? Have in understood the passage of posts correctly?

Thanks

34B17ADD-A54C-4FFE-AD67-7D71553186B1.jpeg

If you’re wanting to use phone via bluetooth then yes there’s an extra module that sorts out that stuff. Lived behind the glovebox in mine but I removed it ages ago for reasons long lost to my memory now 😳

5 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

My radio setup can run DAB through a USB antenna like you mention but the original wiring is still there from the aerial base with fakra connection to the original Ford head unit - is it possible to convert this in some way to save me faffing with a windscreen aerial? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, troy45 said:

... is it possible to convert this in some way to save me faffing with a windscreen aerial? 

Whatever you end up doing, do NOT install a windscreen aerial, they are useless, I know from experience. That's how I ended up with a DAB MagMount...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Whatever you end up doing, do NOT install a windscreen aerial, they are useless, I know from experience. That's how I ended up with a DAB MagMount...

Cheers - after having to wire in a replacement GPS antenna not too long ago I’ll save the messing that I’d have to do again if I’d gone for the windscreen antenna. Plus I’m not in a rush for DAB it’d just be a nice to have. 

For some reason the GPS antenna from my old head unit just didn’t work very well or at all with the Ownice unit so I had to wire in the new one that came with it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, troy45 said:

Cheers - after having to wire in a replacement GPS antenna not too long ago I’ll save the messing that I’d have to do again if I’d gone for the windscreen antenna. Plus I’m not in a rush for DAB it’d just be a nice to have. 

Have a read here if you have a moment...

• Like 2

I’ve took the plunge and as far as budget would allow me to I’ve bought an android head unit. I doubt I’ll use all the possible functionality but it has to be an improvement on what I have currently and just to be able to have phone connected on bluetooth for calls and or music has to be a plus.

went 2gb ram and 32gb rom with Android 10, was just under £150 delivered so I don’t hold out too much hope but will see. I wanted a silver fascia so choice there seemed more limited than in black. I’ve got a carbon look Ford surround also so hopefully will spruce it a bit at least….

C4DBF53A-34A2-4972-9A6E-EC7E560F4B11.png

• Like 2

I bought the following and found that it was much faster then the previous unit which was exactly the same cosmetically but only had 1GB of ram

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234177809581?hash=item368615ccad:g:~j8AAOSwCUJhgQZP

Very simple to install and comes with a replacement facia. 

I will say when I bought the one I linked above it was a lot cheaper at £166

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevejwalford said:

I bought the following and found that it was much faster then the previous unit which was exactly the same cosmetically but only had 1GB of ram

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234177809581?hash=item368615ccad:g:~j8AAOSwCUJhgQZP

Very simple to install and comes with a replacement facia. 

I will say when I bought the one I linked above it was a lot cheaper at £166

I almost went for a similar if not same unit Steve but in the end I wanted to keep the look as close to what it should be as possible even if the large touch screen actually looks somewhat cooler and I was maybe a little driven by price too as the car only cost me £900 😄 

I vinyl wrapped the unit and with it being my first attempt I don't think the finish is that bad.

I know the red is not to everyone's taste but thought I would share a couple of pics.

20210915_174436.jpg

20210915_231117.jpg

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club