Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dead instrument cluster

Rainingin

Hi,

After suffering a botched repair job by a so called ECU expert I have been told by a reputable ECU company that my Instrument cluster is now beyond repair.

If I can obtain a second hand unit, I understand that it will have to be recoded to the car, so my question is, Does the cost and effort in getting this done effectively write the vehicle off?

1.8 TDI   09 plate 80000 miles.

Thanks.

Depends on your circumstances really.  In terms of purely monetary value it's unlikely to be worth it.  But if it's your only car and you can't afford to buy anything newer then it's probably worth fixing.  

I wonder if you have any course for compensation from the original 'repairer'?

Thanks for the reply,

I don't think I would have much chance with the original repairer. I was taken in by a sleek looking website and the fact that he was local to me, so I took it to him personally.

When I got there he was just a young guy in a lock-up. I should have known better, but I let him have a go. he charged me £100. The repair did work for a few miles before failing again. He won't respond to my emails now. 

I guess I will probably cut my losses and scrap the vehicle but it annoys me to write off an otherwise good vehicle for such a thing.

2nd hand instrument clusters aren't stupidly expensive, but, you WILL have to re-programme to your car (copy the IPC asbuilt files from your car and transfer them to the new cluster) AND have the keys re-programmed too (PATS is in the cluster in a MK2)

Ford should re-programme the keys for about £100 

Re-programming can also be done by Ford as could mileage adjustment.

I suggest popping to Ford and asking them how much to re-configure a 2nd hand cluster and re-programme keys if you tow the vehicle to them once you have fitted the cluster

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rainingin said:

Thanks for the reply,

I don't think I would have much chance with the original repairer. I was taken in by a sleek looking website and the fact that he was local to me, so I took it to him personally.

When I got there he was just a young guy in a lock-up. I should have known better, but I let him have a go. he charged me £100. The repair did work for a few miles before failing again. He won't respond to my emails now. 

I guess I will probably cut my losses and scrap the vehicle but it annoys me to write off an otherwise good vehicle for such a thing.

Wasn't AJ Electech was it?  I think he's over your way and probably worth asking for a quote if not. 

3 hours ago, Rainingin said:

Hi,

After suffering a botched repair job by a so called ECU expert I have been told by a reputable ECU company that my Instrument cluster is now beyond repair.

If I can obtain a second hand unit, I understand that it will have to be recoded to the car, so my question is, Does the cost and effort in getting this done effectively write the vehicle off?

1.8 TDI   09 plate 80000 miles.

Thanks.

i programed my own cluster in if i can do it anyone can .

i think its a matter of deleting keys and reinstalling key to new unit if i remember right plus you need some programe cant remmember what it is send me a pm ill send the instructins to you they are a bit faded but should be ok

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Wasn't AJ Electech was it?  I think he's over your way and probably worth asking for a quote if not. 

Hi ,Thanks for the reply,

No it wasn't. I don't know if I am allowed to name and shame on here so I won't

I think that no one will be willing to have a look at it now after this guy has been poking around.

Understandable realy as they don't know what damage he might have done but if anyone can recomend someone to have a look I would certainly let them have a try.

Not sure it's shaming really, more potentially saving another member from the same expensive fate, but I understand what you mean.

I've known Ashley (AJ) for over a decade and he's knowledgeable about pretty much anything electronic so I'd still keep him in mind if he's local to you.

I’m 99% sure that on this car you can do key programming yourself using a £20 fault code reader and using free forscan software on a windows laptop with the free extended licence.  I don’t know what else you have to do if you replace the cluster. 

I think I would just like to say to everone to be careful about company websites. This one looked very professional at a glance.If I had had the forthought to check the address on Google maps I would have seen that the premises that this guy works from hardly seems to exist. If anyone is interested try searching "for repairs to ECU in Stoke on Trent"

Thanks for the recommendation I will keep it in mind.

Thanks for the reply,

I do have a code reader and a laptop so I will look into forscan.

Once I'm 100% better, there's a guy will "sort" mine upgrade to a 2.5 cluster supplying the cluster and programming remotely very reasonably IMO, I don't trust myself to do it tho I do have the gear. I wont say who and where just in-case it breaks the rules or he doesn't want it plastering everywhere.

22 hours ago, Rainingin said:

Thanks for the reply,

I do have a code reader and a laptop so I will look into forscan.

There's a cut off point for where (in model years) Forscan can programme keys, you may have to ask on the Forums before you start the process.

I don’t know exactly what the cut off is. I did it using forscan with extended licence and windows laptop and a usb cable obd reader from tunnel rat on a 59 plate focus mk2.5 1.8tdci (although it was 59 plate, Ford etis said it was built late 2008. )

I have a feeling its 2010 or 2011 is the cut of point, I could be wrong

Thanks for the info, I will double check everything. Exploring my options at the moment. 

I am considering buying a used cluster and sending it to ECU testing along with the dud one to have all the coded info transfered over.

They estimate between £120 and £170 plus VAT plus the cost of a second hand cluster of course. 

mrmetalica has kindly sent me some instructions but looking at them I am not sure I have the IT skills.

12 minutes ago, Rainingin said:

Thanks for the info, I will double check everything. Exploring my options at the moment. 

I am considering buying a used cluster and sending it to ECU testing along with the dud one to have all the coded info transfered over.

They estimate between £120 and £170 plus VAT plus the cost of a second hand cluster of course. 

mrmetalica has kindly sent me some instructions but looking at them I am not sure I have the IT skills.

i dont have the it skill but follow the instructions carefully you will be ok ive done it twice now

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club