Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOT Advisories

ak47mh

Hi 

I had our 2013 Ford Ka (43k miles) MOT done at Kwik Fit today and the following was flagged after it passing:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Suspension component corroded but not seriously weakened rear suspension beam corroded getting close on limit (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Suspension component corroded but not seriously weakened front shocks corroded (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Rear Coil spring corroded both (5.3.1 (b) (i))

Has anyone ever had these flagged and addressed them and have an idea of cost? Kwik Fit said they would be unable to do the suspension beam, but could do the rest.

Just hoping for a rough idea of costs please.

Many thanks,

Ant

I have no Idea of the cost other than springs and shock absorbers are not that expensive.

The rear suspension beam could be expensive and your best bet would be to take the car to an independent garage and ask them to have a look to see if it could be cleaned up and treated or replaced with one from a scrap car in better condition. Even that could be expensive because of the amount of work involved in swapping things over. One of the regulars had this done on his Focus.

Sometimes advisories are just the tester covering himself and you may get several more years out of these things before they are either dangerous or fail.  

• Like 1

I agree with last paragraph.  The standards vary extremely on what gets put down as an advisory.  I would have to see it myself to say if it needed taking seriously. 

Many thanks both and appreciate the reply.  The MOT guy does seem to point every little thing out when my other car had its MOT also. The Ka was actually serviced in the same garage a couple of months ago and they flagged none of this interestingly. Yet I wasn’t sure about the corroded beam, so think nothing urgent short-term, but I will seek a second opinion if I can find another garage.

• 10 months later...

Get a second opinion.

I wouldn't believe Kwik-Fit if they told me water is wet!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Len33 said:

Get a second opinion.

10 months after the event might be a little late to be offering the OP some advice 🤔

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club