Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I need advice please (if you can). Thank you in advance.

Angela Parker

Good morning.  I've just joined a wee moment ago.  My 2016 focus appears to be blowing cold air out in the passenger footwell.  I took it to the garage and they did all the tests on the heating and everything appears to be just fine and dandy.  If I sit in the passenger seat and put my hand down into the footwell I can clearly feel the hot air coming from the heater so I DO think the garage got it right, however, just a little further up from where the hot air comes out, there's an astonishingly strong blast of icy cold air coming in too.  Not part of the heater.  It doesn't do this on the driver side.  To me who knows nothing, it feels like its air from the outside gushing in!  As if something has fallen off, a seal or something, which would normally stop the outside air blasting in.  Any ideas?  Anyone else have this problem and how did you resolve it please?

Have you synced your climate control so it is the same temperature both sides?

Thank you for your reply. Yes I've done that, and I've altered almost every combination of the heating controls trying to make the cold air go away.  Nothing has worked.  I am not sure how long it's been like it, because I don't usually have passengers, but after my husband complained the other week I have checked it out and it's true, it's damned cold down there.  Uncomfortably so.

Leave the ignition on but engine not running

Disconnect the battery EARTH terminal, leave disconnected for a minimum of 10 minutes

Whilst disconnected turn the dipped headlamps on and off and press the brake pdal a couple of times, this removes any residual energy.

Re-connect the battery EARTH

Start engine BUT DO NOT PRESS THE THROTTLE for at least one minute.

See if that cures it

• Like 1

Or you can have the garage check the air vents.  Sometimes it may just pop off inside or behind the dashboard.

• Like 1

That is my thoughts too, either some of the ductwork has come adrift prior to the Heater Matrix or the Pollen Filter cover has not been fitted correctly or it needs changed and causing back pressure. 

Thank you Dave, Lilbleh and Tizer.  I'm going to try all these suggestions.

I have it sorted now!!!! I'm very grateful to you all.  I took  it to my little garage up the road. They are the ones that checked the heating system around a week ago and could find nothing wrong.  I read your comments out to the mechanic.  He came out to my car and laid on the floor and immediately said he could see what the problem was and brought out a piece of hard plastic which was supposed to cover the air filter.  It was supposed to be clipped in and also should have had a screw.  It clearly hadn't been pushed into place so that the clips gripped, and there was no sign of a screw either.  He clipped it back into  place and bingo.  Sorted in 2 minutes and free of charge.  I could already feel the difference in the inside temperature on my way home.  I had my car dealership serviced around 2 months ago and the air filter was changed at this time.  That's when the problem probably started.  I won't be using the dealership again for anything as I was annoyed with them for a number of other reasons, before this happened.  I've been having my car dealership serviced since brand new, but that will stop now.  Once again. I'm over the moon with you guys for your great advice.  I won't be able to help you with car fixes, but if you need recipe advice?  Sewing or art advice I'm your person.  I'm also a registered nurse so can maybe help with health advice.  Just ask. xx

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Angela Parker said:

I won't be using the dealership again for anything ...

Result! Every cloud... 😁

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 4:36 PM, Angela Parker said:

I won't be using the dealership again for anything as I was annoyed with them for a number of other reasons, before this happened.  I've been having my car dealership serviced since brand new, but that will stop now.

What dealership do you normally get your servicing done at? I recently wrote to the head office of mine clearly listing my issues, stating that I had lost confidence in them, and asking for theier comments. Didn't hear back from head office, but I did hear from the branch concerned who bent over backwards to put (some of the ) things right. Be interesting to know if its the same place - pm me with details if you don't want to name them in public.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 11:36 PM, Angela Parker said:

I have it sorted now!!!! I'm very grateful to you all.  I took  it to my little garage up the road. They are the ones that checked the heating system around a week ago and could find nothing wrong.  I read your comments out to the mechanic.  He came out to my car and laid on the floor and immediately said he could see what the problem was and brought out a piece of hard plastic which was supposed to cover the air filter.  It was supposed to be clipped in and also should have had a screw.  It clearly hadn't been pushed into place so that the clips gripped, and there was no sign of a screw either.  He clipped it back into  place and bingo.  Sorted in 2 minutes and free of charge.  I could already feel the difference in the inside temperature on my way home.  I had my car dealership serviced around 2 months ago and the air filter was changed at this time.  That's when the problem probably started.  I won't be using the dealership again for anything as I was annoyed with them for a number of other reasons, before this happened.  I've been having my car dealership serviced since brand new, but that will stop now.  Once again. I'm over the moon with you guys for your great advice.  I won't be able to help you with car fixes, but if you need recipe advice?  Sewing or art advice I'm your person.  I'm also a registered nurse so can maybe help with health advice.  Just ask. xx

Glad to be of however little help....