Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Over Heating

mkj

Hi all,

Can anybody help with my over heating problem. I think its called "failsafe cooling system"

I have a 1.6 Zetec hatchback auto on 04 plate.

I drove down to the supermarket today no problem.

Got into car to return journey, driving along I lost most of my power and i noticed my temp guage in the red

and the amber engine warning light on and also multi-function warning light on.

any advice will be appriciated.

mkj

Hi all,

Can anybody help with my over heating problem. I think its called "failsafe cooling system"

I have a 1.6 Zetec hatchback auto on 04 plate.

I drove down to the supermarket today no problem.

Got into car to return journey, driving along I lost most of my power and i noticed my temp guage in the red

and the amber engine warning light on and also multi-function warning light on.

any advice will be appriciated.

mkj

well simple really the water pump may have gone the coolant level is too low the head gasket is gone or a faulty sensor is telling the car that its overheating when its not the only way is first to have it plugged in for fault codes and then get it to agarage asap as if its not a sensor you can still damage the engine a drive to the supermarket wouldnt get that hot but then parked up in the heat the temp slightly increases then by driving back it goes uop even more so ide be looking at the water pump and a sensor.

artscot79' thanks for yout reply,

I failed to add that when I opened the bonnet

the coolant reseviour was boiling.

artscot79' thanks for yout reply,

I failed to add that when I opened the bonnet

the coolant reseviour was boiling.

that is not a good sign then it means its either the water pump or the head gasket has gone is there a milky residue under the oil cap or on the bottom of the dip stick?when its running and the thermostat at halfway is the radiator and all hoses hot? to check the pump get the car up to 92 degrees thermostat doesnt fully open till 90 or 92 degrees cant remember which and with the bonnet up slightly pull the throttle open you should see the coolant being pumped into the resevoir if not and nothings coming through the water pump has gone it could also be a cracked head hopefully not but its a possibility i advise having a mobile mechanic out or if theres a garage close to you that you can get it to quickly while driving do it when driving it there set the heater inside to hot and the fan speed to 4 iopen the windows it will dissapate the heat a bit and help keep the engine a bit cooler

artscot79,

No the oil is still dark oil colour so It looks like the head gasket hasn't gone. on the engine.

How do I check the thermostat? where it is

mkj

artscot79,

No the oil is still dark oil colour so It looks like the head gasket hasn't gone. on the engine.

How do I check the thermostat? where it is

mkj

run the car let it idle the top rad hose should be hot this means the thermostat has opened if it was stuck shut then it would remain cold boiling coolant means the engine temp is way above 130 degrees way way too hot check the hose first both top and bottom rad hose should be hot another possibility is simple to replace the coolant pressure cap its the incresae in pressure that raises the boiling pooint of the coolant no pressure and the coolant will boil up easily they are only a few quid even Halfords sell them so cheap top try as i said with the car idling and engine nice and hot you should see when you pull the throttle that theres coolant being pumped into the coolant expansion tank should be a nice strong flow if all of these are okay youre head must be cracked and /or the head gasket has gone sniff the exhaust with the car running does it smell sweet

Thank you artscot79 for your help.

I have got a mobile machanic coming tomorrow to have a look.

will post what he says.

mkj

Hi,

I have now had the water pump and at the same time changed the cambelt,

but still getting the original faults, ("failsafe cooling system" & multi-function warning light)

what sensor would it be that thinks it still overheating?

mkj

Hi,

I have now had the water pump and at the same time changed the cambelt,

but still getting the original faults, ("failsafe cooling system" & multi-function warning light)

what sensor would it be that thinks it still overheating?

mkj

the temp sensor on the head easy way to check idle the car in test mode using the dash trick ie ignition off hold reset button keep it held in and start the car keep it on till test appears each press of the reset button cycles through the display keep cycling through till you get the temp come up see what it reads alternatively just have tyh ecar taken to a dealers and diagnostics done as it may be more than one sensor its the most cost effective way

artscot79

Thank you very much for your advice about going to a mobile engineer,

This elderly gent turned up, took my car away and changed the,

Water Pump, Cambelt & tensioner, Thermostat and the sensor at a very pleasing cost of £190.

(All Parts taken off of car returned to me) had car back in a day and a half.

Car now running like new. Except:

He did say that i need the front nearside wheel bearing to be done and wishbones, and with parts and fitting

cost will be £95.

Have i found a car machanic worth hes salt. Will Defo use again.

Thanks again artscot79

mkj

artscot79

Thank you very much for your advice about going to a mobile engineer,

This elderly gent turned up, took my car away and changed the,

Water Pump, Cambelt & tensioner, Thermostat and the sensor at a very pleasing cost of £190.

(All Parts taken off of car returned to me) had car back in a day and a half.

Car now running like new. Except:

He did say that i need the front nearside wheel bearing to be done and wishbones, and with parts and fitting

cost will be £95.

Have i found a car machanic worth hes salt. Will Defo use again.

Thanks again artscot79

mkj

most definately thats an excellent price and you got the old parts back which is even better stick with this guy by the sounds of it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club