Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MHEV 48v Battery Cover FSA

TomsFocus

11 hours ago, BlueMeany said:

I had purchased a 70 plate mHEV second-hand from SMC Slough (Allen Ford). Had no end of trouble, and eventually complained to Ford and DVSA. SMC couldn't do anything as it was Ford telling dealers that cars with the issue couldn't be sold. SMC weren't aware of it until I pointed it out to them from the ETIS page. I wasn't happy as I couldn't see how they were still advertising mHEV's for sale - knowing that they wouldn't be able to supply the vehicle until the issue was sorted.

In the end, I pulled out of the Sale (and got £100 Amazon voucher from Ford CS for all the hassle). Bought 182hp 19 plate Vignale instead!

DVSA eventually got back to me (about three weeks after I cancelled order lol) and their response (dated 28/03/21) was "We have been in contact with the manufacture and they have explained that this vehicle requires a battery cover, however this is not a recall and will be undertaken as a service action. The vehicle were on hold until Ford clarified the severity of the issue but I have been informed that this risk assessment has now been completed and all vehicles have been released."

Make of that what you will.

Very interesting, thanks for your post!  I didn't realise there was also a hold on used vehicle sales, thought it only affected the new ones.  (Though with hindsight, that does make sense!)

Can I just check that's a typo in the date?  Meant to be this year, not last year?

ETIS mentions a replacement 48v battery cover.

mine has a cover (under passenger seat) so a replacement would indicate a problem with the existing?

45 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

ETIS mentions a replacement 48v battery cover.

mine has a cover (under passenger seat) so a replacement would indicate a problem with the existing?

Which MHEV engine have you got? I ask as I’m hoping to get a chance to order an automatic 155 ST Line Vignale in July . 

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Very interesting, thanks for your post!  I didn't realise there was also a hold on used vehicle sales, thought it only affected the new ones.  (Though with hindsight, that does make sense!)

Can I just check that's a typo in the date?  Meant to be this year, not last year?

Yep sorry, meant 2022.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:50 AM, iantt said:

It's a vehicle hold recall. ( Identified an issue)  until a part can be designed and manufactured, tested then released. 

This appears to be the case. I called my dealer to ask if the part had arrived, he initially said no but definitely on order. He then called back after speaking to service manager ( I’m guessing because part was not ordered!)  although my ETIS advises due on my car, it only applies to new or test drive vehicles at this time, 

I said I would let them know if smoke started to appear from under the passenger seat!😏

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andyr55 said:

This appears to be the case. I called my dealer to ask if the part had arrived, he initially said no but definitely on order. He then called back after speaking to service manager ( I’m guessing because part was not ordered!)  although my ETIS advises due on my car, it only applies to new or test drive vehicles at this time, 

I said I would let them know if smoke started to appear from under the passenger seat!😏

Have you got heated seats? Or should I say you have got heated seats. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

22S04 seems to be disappeared on ETIS for me.

It got replaced by 22P14 - FOCUS MHEV battery TERMINAL CAP AND REVISED COVER.

Anyone has further info? 

6 minutes ago, andreacos92 said:

It got replaced by 22P14 - FOCUS MHEV BATTERY TERMINAL CAP AND REVISED COVER.

Anyone has further info? 

Mine is now the same, anyone had any dealer contact?

17 minutes ago, andreacos92 said:

It got replaced by 22P14 - FOCUS MHEV BATTERY TERMINAL CAP AND REVISED COVER.

Anyone has further info? 

Sounds like they've created a fix for the fault now then.  But they may still need a while to produce the new part.

11 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

Mine is now the same, anyone had any dealer contact?

Called the dealer this morning, they should call me back (but I already know I have to call again myself)

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Sounds like they've created a fix for the fault now then.  But they may still need a while to produce the new part.

I hope they're already producing-shipping the new part.

My car is actually in the dealer-workshop mid-long term for another issue, I'll ask if they can do the replacement in the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andreacos92 said:

My car is actually in the dealer-workshop mid-long term for another issue, I'll ask if they can do the replacement in the same time.

What's the other issue?

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What's the other issue?

[OT] 2nd gear engagement issue, probably synchros fault.

They have to take apart gearbox and open it. I know they already did and waiting for parts, I don't know what parts or if the entire gearbox (should ask, when they call back).
Anyway only 25.000 km, single driver (me) and always driven correctly... it doesn't look like a good thing for a manual transmission. [/OT]

• Thanks 1

Just now, andreacos92 said:

[OT] 2nd gear engagement issue, probably synchros fault.

They have to take apart gearbox and open it. I know they already did and waiting for parts, I don't know what parts or if the entire gearbox (should ask, when they call back).
Anyway only 25.000 km, single driver (me) and always driven correctly... it doesn't look like a good thing for a manual transmission. [/OT]

Thanks, any info on new car faults is always useful on here!

Don't think we've seen any other gearbox faults on the 155 MHEV Focus so far, so hopefully yours was a one off, but I will keep an eye out for others now.

• Thanks 1

Dealer told me that the new FSA (22P14) is dated 19/04/2022 and now they have instructions.
They will order the new cover, and if it arrives when car is still in workshop, they'll replace it at same time.

About my gearbox, they are waiting for 2nd gear synchro, that is broken (mmm). Should arrive in the first days of next week, so my car should be ready within the end of the week.
Hope the cover arrives in time, too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andyr55 said:

Any further news on the FSA?

I think you have to contact your dealer.

Mine has requested the replacement,cover, and they will mount it when it arrives. The FSA consist in replacing the cover under the passenger seat, from what I understand.

They don't know how long it will take. I'll probably have to bring the car again only for the FSA, since it seems they have replaced my 2nd gear synchros just today and they give me back the car in this week. 

• 2 weeks later...

When I phoned my dealer today surprisingly they appeared to know about this recall.

takes around 45 mins (?.)

booked in next week to include the diagnostic and software update they omitted during my Convenience check.

will update here when completed.

• Like 1

Me too, booked next  week (20th friday), and they said it takes about 1 hour.

• Like 1

Update

cover replaced took around 50 mins.

still non the wiser as to what the problem was.?

• Like 1

Me too, they replaced the cover (I was able to see while they were working) in about 30-40 mins today.

I took some photos before the replacement and then I compared photos with the new cover.
Cannot see any difference on the outside, maybe the did some modifications in the inside or on some connectors.

Slightly modified top cover and under cover another cover over the 48v positive cable 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

reason for change being .?

4 hours ago, Andyr55 said:

reason for change being .?

Not 100 % sure but could be the terminal stud my rub on the original cover then expose the terminal. 

My guess would be the original electron containment shield was defective in discharging its duties and was allowing the escape of said electrons via a posterior when suitably compressed by a large load giving a new meaning to being in the 'hot seat' 🤣

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club