Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Shock! Replacement Kuga (2018 reg) 1.5L Ecoboost Petrol Engine (Manual)


Jon234
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have just been told by my dealer that I require a replacement 1.5L Petrol Ecoboost engine (manual) for my 2018 Kuga ST Line. Although I did detect a slight rattle from the engine a few days before the 4 yr service, this has come as a massive shock. I have been told this is needed as the engine has been damaged due to low levels of oil. At no point did an oil gauge warning light come on and only 1 day before I took the car to the dealer did the engine management light come on. I have been told that as it is out of warranty the work will cost circa £8.6k (£7.1k engine and parts and 1.5k labour). I would be keen to get your thoughts/advice. Many thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


it is at the dealer now. it was driveable to the dealer - only error was engine management light came on a day before and rattle on the engine with slight reduction in power. no oil fault light came on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did they say what the fault was. I do find it strange that they said whatever is wrong was caused by low levels of oil.

I have the same engine as you and it does not burn any noticeable amount of oil, in fact it was slightly overfilled at its 2 year service by Ford. I drew some off until the full level and the level has not moved. 

If it was serviced by Ford on time I would have thought that Ford would make a goodwill gesture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jon234 said:

I have been told this is needed as the engine has been damaged due to low levels of oil. At no point did an oil gauge warning light come on

The light is 'oil Pressure' not oil level. Also with the infamous ecoboost any slight problem with the lubrication system is almost guaranteed to write off the engine.

7 hours ago, Jon234 said:

I have been told that as it is out of warranty the work will cost circa £8.6k (£7.1k engine and parts and 1.5k labour).

Would like to know where they get those prices from. The 1.0 ecoboost engine brand new discounted Ford price is just over £2000, and fitting is around £1200.

If you can't get it repaired for under £5K then I'd just sell it the way it is now and be prepared to accept up to £5000 less than the normal going rate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Jon234 said:

@ Dave T70 - enlighten me....

PM me and I will🤫

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 3/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, Jon234 said:

Hi, I have just been told by my dealer that I require a replacement 1.5L Petrol Ecoboost engine (manual) for my 2018 Kuga ST Line. Although I did detect a slight rattle from the engine a few days before the 4 yr service, this has come as a massive shock. I have been told this is needed as the engine has been damaged due to low levels of oil. At no point did an oil gauge warning light come on and only 1 day before I took the car to the dealer did the engine management light come on. I have been told that as it is out of warranty the work will cost circa £8.6k (£7.1k engine and parts and 1.5k labour). I would be keen to get your thoughts/advice. Many thanks in advance.

I am in the exact same position with the exact same car. 

Ford have offered me a 40% "goodwill" gesture ehich brings my bill down to just over £5,500... 

It's stressful for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership