Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shock! Replacement Kuga (2018 reg) 1.5L Ecoboost Petrol Engine (Manual)

Jon234

Hi, I have just been told by my dealer that I require a replacement 1.5L Petrol Ecoboost engine (manual) for my 2018 Kuga ST Line. Although I did detect a slight rattle from the engine a few days before the 4 yr service, this has come as a massive shock. I have been told this is needed as the engine has been damaged due to low levels of oil. At no point did an oil gauge warning light come on and only 1 day before I took the car to the dealer did the engine management light come on. I have been told that as it is out of warranty the work will cost circa £8.6k (£7.1k engine and parts and 1.5k labour). I would be keen to get your thoughts/advice. Many thanks in advance.

it is at the dealer now. it was driveable to the dealer - only error was engine management light came on a day before and rattle on the engine with slight reduction in power. no oil fault light came on.

Did they say what the fault was. I do find it strange that they said whatever is wrong was caused by low levels of oil.

I have the same engine as you and it does not burn any noticeable amount of oil, in fact it was slightly overfilled at its 2 year service by Ford. I drew some off until the full level and the level has not moved. 

If it was serviced by Ford on time I would have thought that Ford would make a goodwill gesture.

7 hours ago, Jon234 said:

I have been told this is needed as the engine has been damaged due to low levels of oil. At no point did an oil gauge warning light come on

The light is 'oil Pressure' not oil level. Also with the infamous ecoboost any slight problem with the lubrication system is almost guaranteed to write off the engine.

7 hours ago, Jon234 said:

I have been told that as it is out of warranty the work will cost circa £8.6k (£7.1k engine and parts and 1.5k labour).

Would like to know where they get those prices from. The 1.0 ecoboost engine brand new discounted Ford price is just over £2000, and fitting is around £1200.

If you can't get it repaired for under £5K then I'd just sell it the way it is now and be prepared to accept up to £5000 less than the normal going rate.

20 hours ago, Jon234 said:

@ Dave T70 - enlighten me....

PM me and I will🤫

• 3 months later...
On 3/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, Jon234 said:

Hi, I have just been told by my dealer that I require a replacement 1.5L Petrol Ecoboost engine (manual) for my 2018 Kuga ST Line. Although I did detect a slight rattle from the engine a few days before the 4 yr service, this has come as a massive shock. I have been told this is needed as the engine has been damaged due to low levels of oil. At no point did an oil gauge warning light come on and only 1 day before I took the car to the dealer did the engine management light come on. I have been told that as it is out of warranty the work will cost circa £8.6k (£7.1k engine and parts and 1.5k labour). I would be keen to get your thoughts/advice. Many thanks in advance.

I am in the exact same position with the exact same car. 

Ford have offered me a 40% "goodwill" gesture ehich brings my bill down to just over £5,500... 

It's stressful for sure. 

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Me Too - Driving home from Holiday when it miss- fired. Then limped home, would not tick over or auto stop engine at junctions.

10K for replacement Engine - Still waiting for the parts to come in, and been on the phone to ford.

You expect more from a  new car you purchased new, fully serviced, and only completed 47k miles. It just been serviced and new MOT a few weeks prior to the failure too !!!

The dealer has not even given a courtesy car. Ford have given a good will gesture reduction on parts... but I still have to fork out 6K. Not impressed.

Also how can they call the 1.5ecoboost efficient - I get 25mls to the gallon - I got more from my 1982 Ford Capri.

• Confused 1

You should start a new club for Kuga 1.5 engine failures

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2022 at 7:04 PM, KaraG said:

I am in the exact same position with the exact same car. 

Ford have offered me a 40% "goodwill" gesture ehich brings my bill down to just over £5,500... 

It's stressful for sure. 

May i say that is a low % offer, because offering a goodwill gesture of only 40% is not what i would expect as generous and even i assume that they are claiming no liability or with out prejudice/, also i suppose you could admit that its a question of having New for Old but it should be 60% but does that include labour too or better still it should be free seeing as its a known fault?

On 7/20/2022 at 4:51 PM, Alcan said:

Me Too - Driving home from Holiday when it miss- fired. Then limped home, would not tick over or auto stop engine at junctions.

10K for replacement Engine - Still waiting for the parts to come in, and been on the phone to ford.

You expect more from a  new car you purchased new, fully serviced, and only completed 47k miles. It just been serviced and new MOT a few weeks prior to the failure too !!!

The dealer has not even given a courtesy car. Ford have given a good will gesture reduction on parts... but I still have to fork out 6K. Not impressed.

Also how can they call the 1.5ecoboost efficient - I get 25mls to the gallon - I got more from my 1982 Ford Capri.

Feeling sorry for all 1.5 Ecoboost engine owners. prices vary from free to 10, 000 i assume fully fitted. Mine was  a 1.5 180hp AWD auto, serviced 5 months ago,  but only completed 1820mils since the March service.It was a Full service with plugs. I was now told i  needed a new engine because of a misfire,  but it has covered only 31480 miles from New. I was not told the exact misfire issue but  a low compression on a cylinder but which one?  I was quoted a possible £8 to 12 thousand. Then was requoted about £6-7 thou, but will insist on the later spec engine, not the M9MD which was reworked, It should be free to be honest. Good luck on getting Fords to own up to a poor design in a block, a rework block in 2019 says it was a flawed design. Old engines were the best design. No gap between cylinder bores.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club