Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2012 Dead Windscreen Wipers

artogda

Hello

I have decided to create this post as I already ran out of ideas how to fix my problem with not working front wipers in my ford focus mk3 2012 1.6 tdci. They stopped working about 1 month ago and seem to be dead from the electrical perspective. The rear wiper and front sprayer work. I already did below:

• changed the fuse F18
  • changed the minus battery wire with the current sensor
  • changed the wipers motors
  • tried to solve the issue with 3 electromechanical services and Ford original dealer and service

I have read many threads about this problem, not only on this forum but couldn't find a solution. Hope someone already managed to localize/fix it and can help or share some knowledge. Thank you

The wipers are operated and controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM) which is part of the fuse box behind the glovebox.

There are lots of problems with water getting in to the BCM connections and causing corrosion of the small pins on the plugs and the circuit board tracks.

Disconnect the battery, then remove all the connectors from the BCM and inspect it looking for signs of greenish corrosion.

You should also get a laptop and install FORScan and then you will be able to check for any DTC's that are probably stored.

Hello Unofix

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes the BCM was already checked by the service, however, I will do it once again myself.

The DTC was B1131, so wiper's motor module, but as mentioned the motors were changed and still nothing

Hi Artur, B1131 is more of a calibration error than an actual failure. If the wiper motors have been replaced then they have to be calibrated so that each of them knows the position of the wiper arm on the screen. The wiper motor on the drivers side is the master unit and gets the command to operate via the canbus network from the BCM. The driver side wiper motor then relays the command (via canbus) to the passenger side wiper motor.

You need to use FORScan and re-teach the motors their position. Normally there is a "get me home" emergency mode with this system. If you unplug the passenger side wiper motor then it is possible the drivers side may operate in slow speed.

Hello 

A little update:

I have unplugged the F18 fuse and kept the slot empty for over 24 hours. Also didn't use the car during that time. After that I went to put the fuse back and magically the wipers started working again. However after 20-30 minutes of driving they automatically turned on by themselves and I could not switch them off. I had to put the fuse out again to make it stop. Total chaos.

• Sad 1

I am not an expert (Others on here are!) but my limited experience leads me to believe that it's BCM related.

In old money, it's like two corroded relay contacts getting stuck together. Sounds like that's what's happening inside your BCM.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club