Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta broken into but seemingly undamaged query

FiestaDriver34

Hi, my mother's loyal Fiesta was broken into a few days ago, however they seem to have been able to access the car without setting off the alarm. The alarm was definitely on, OCD guarantees that, however someone was able to access the car, search the car and take some of the nice things in the glove compartment etc. However the following morning when Mum came to the car it was unlocked.

I know, having just tested the car, that if I unlock the car but do not get into it, after a minute it locks itself (and it does actually lock). I know from my own experience if I am in the car and get out and don't lock it, after a while it locks itself. And now the alarm seems to work absolutely fine. So can someone please let me know if I should be worried about the alarm/lock, and how they might have circumvented it? We know from the local email group that someone is prowling the neighbourhood able to invade alarmed cars, so any guidance on how to restore faith in the Fiesta is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Has the door lock been forced? If so they can unlock the car from the drivers door, then get in via the boot as the alarm doesn’t go off if the boot is opened.

They could use a signal extending device if it’s keyless to open the door, using a Faraday pouch or box would help to stop that.

Can you be sure it was locked, someone could have used a jamming device.

The b@@@@@ds have found a new way of opening cars with keyless entry.   Having had a car stolen previously, I'm very careful to lock my car and put the keys in a Faraday box that I have tested and is working.   I don't leave anything worth stealing in my car.

I recently came out in the morning to find the car's driver's door open.  They wouldn't have been able to start my car due to the Ghost II immobiliser and probably thought it was faulty.   The fact that two spotlights came on at just after 3am didn't put them off.   What the idiots didn't realise was that when the spotlights came on they were being filmed by three Arlo CCTV cameras.   The footage is now with the police.

• Like 1

Not good news at all.... as said previously, if they want something that badly, eventually they will get it or destroy it so the owner can enjoy it.

At least the Ford Pass app will alert me via my phone during the night if any door or boot is opened.... even if I unlock it and enter it with the key. It records and alerts all events.

Re CCTV, we have had diesel thieves at work that keep returning randomly. They break a railing from a metal fence and enter the site.

They then syphon whatever diesel they can from the wagon tanks.

First, the police say they cannot put extra patrols on during the night as they are already "short staffed", as much use as chocolate teapots.

We installed extra CCTV cameras in prime locations to get HD pictures of the thieves.

We managed to get several crystal clear HD pictures of two of the thieves.

Second police instance, they came to view the CCTV pictures and take a copy but as the thieves wore a snood or bandana over their nose and mouth there is absolutely no chance of a conviction as they cannot be identified beyond all doubt in court..... again, police are chocolate teapots. The thieves get away with it.

Next thing i guess is to police it ourselves and maybe wait for them to try again over the evenings when they return...

Cctv and police are seemingly as much use as each other. Neither are a deterrent to would be thieves, they aren't bothered in the slightest by either.

What exactly do we pay police for? Oh yes, to catch motorists speeding of course....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Second police instance, they came to view the CCTV pictures and take a copy but as the thieves wore a snood or bandana over their nose and mouth there is absolutely no chance of a conviction as they cannot be identified beyond all doubt in court..... again, police are chocolate teapots

True - why didn't the police use their x-ray specs to see through the snoods?

• Like 1

Thank you very much everyone. I should have mentioned mum locks the car wirelessly, we did lock at the door locks and there’s no visible signs of damage. The same for the boot. 

i shall look into this idea of a Faraday box, thank you very much. 

what gets me is it’s not like it’s a fancy Mercedes, it’s a ten year old fiesta, but I guess that’s exactly the point…

mum was talking about getting a cctv camera of some sort given the increase in local crime, so hopefully that will help dissuade “enthusiastic explorers” in the future

Thank you all

38 minutes ago, FiestaDriver34 said:

mum was talking about getting a cctv camera of some sort given the increase in local crime, so hopefully that will help dissuade “enthusiastic explorers” in the future

I have three CCTV cameras on the front of my house.   Had a car stolen and the latest broken into,   CCTV doesn't seem to make much difference.

If they want it,they are going to take it.One of the biggest issues in the UK,is the lack of lock up garages.Cars parked on the sides of streets & driveways is an open invitation to these scum.Never ever leave my vehicles outside,they always are in the garage.

Strangely enough, although I have a 21 reg BMW X1, they ignored that and went for a 17 reg Fiesta.

8 minutes ago, Hackney said:

If they want it,they are going to take it.One of the biggest issues in the UK,is the lack of lock up garages.Cars parked on the sides of streets & driveways is an open invitation to these scum.Never ever leave my vehicles outside,they always are in the garage.

Driveways yeah...but I would have thought on street parking in a Victorian terrace would deter thieves...

The biggest issue you face is that vehicles are left out in the open.Sure,we have vehicles stolen from cars parked on the street.You would be surprised how many people have double & triple garages & cars parked outside the garages are full of all their crap.But the issue is nowhere near the problem that the UK has.

7 hours ago, Bobr said:

Strangely enough, although I have a 21 reg BMW X1, they ignored that and went for a 17 reg Fiesta.

Think I would leave the BMW well enough alone also. 😆👍🏻

• Haha 1

Get a disklok ..

that will deter thieves as it’s a visual deterrent… 

Leave nothing in the car to steal ..

thieves got in our car via the door mirror ,they then accessed the door wiring to  open the door 

Recently purchased a Ford Edge, and with all the opportunists out there to steal, we immediately purchased a Disk Lok Steering lock, a bit heavy but good quality, not the cheapest, but you will feel happier and secure with one of these on. Also if you are on a drive only we have just also had  installed 4 x Rhino driveway telescopic bollards..not cheap at £2000, anything to help them move on to the house. Also now looking for a wheel clamp. At least then when your parked up somewhere you have a couple of deterrents. The things we have to do these days.

I agree with you Ron. My garage is in a block of seven and I am the only one that uses the garage to park there car in.

3 hours ago, jsk said:

I agree with you Ron. My garage is in a block of seven and I am the only one that uses the garage to park there car in.

I see it everywhere.I guess also, cars are just a mode of transport for them, their priorities lie elsewhere.On our street ,no vehicles are left out except next door,he has a Ford Ranger Wildtrack,the reason is, he did not take into account the length of it when he bought it.As a result it is to long!The tow bar is probably the issue.He has a triple garage as well!