Do Not Sell My Personal Information

512gw dashcam stopped working in 2015 Focus

Ian Rose

Have a 512gw dashcam hardwired in to my 2015 Focus which has been working fine for 4 years. All of a sudden, it's just packed in, saying low battery and then switching off. Doesn;t even power on when turning on the ignition..done the nextbase advice r.e checking the internal battery (it stays on for 20+ mins), checked the powered mount by using it with a usb plug indoors, and have changed the original 2A fuse provided on the piggy back fuse tap. Anyone got any other ideas as to what is causing the dashcam not to function??

Unfortunately that's a typical Nextbase death. Nothing to do with the car, the fuses, the power leads, it's all down to the internal battery. This can be replaced if you are willing to crack it open.

To be honest, 4yrs from a Nextbase is probably some kind of record! If you are looking to replace rather than repair then I strongly recommmend a camera with a resistor rather than battery. The resistor/battery function in a dashcam is primarily there to feed power to the camera for around 10s after the ignition is cut, this is to make sure the last file is saved correctly and not corrupt by an unexpected power drop. 

I have been using Viofo for several years now, my A129 duo (front and rear) has been going for 7yrs now and I have had an A139 (front, rear, internal) for 12 months. Neither have missed a beat.

• Like 2

Thanks for that Jon...I've just bought a battery to install and try that, so fingers crossed. Seems straightforward enough to replace according to Nextbase video help..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Rose said:

Thanks for that Jon...I've just bought a battery to install and try that, so fingers crossed. Seems straightforward enough to replace according to Nextbase video help..

I think it is quite simple 👍

5 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

with a resistor rather than battery

think this is a bit of a typo.

try "Capacitor" not resistor

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, unofix said:

think this a bit of a typo.

try "Capacitor" not resistor

You got me lol, it should indeed read capacitor. Not sure why I typed resistor 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2022 at 6:47 PM, Jonro2009 said:

Unfortunately that's a typical Nextbase death. Nothing to do with the car, the fuses, the power leads, it's all down to the internal battery. This can be replaced if you are willing to crack it open.

To be honest, 4yrs from a Nextbase is probably some kind of record! If you are looking to replace rather than repair then I strongly recommmend a camera with a resistor rather than battery. The resistor/battery function in a dashcam is primarily there to feed power to the camera for around 10s after the ignition is cut, this is to make sure the last file is saved correctly and not corrupt by an unexpected power drop. 

I have been using Viofo for several years now, my A129 duo (front and rear) has been going for 7yrs now and I have had an A139 (front, rear, internal) for 12 months. Neither have missed a beat.

+1 for Viofo, I had a less than great experience with 2 Nextbase GW612s but the Viofo A119 v3 I replaced it with has been absolutely rock solid from day 1.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club