Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can anyone help with odometer

RTL

Hi all, 

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. 
I bought an upgraded instrument cluster for my Focus mk3 (pre facelift) 

I knew I’d need to get the odometer adjusted to my actual mileage once fitted and I was told Ford could do it for me. 
But my local Ford garage insisted that it can’t be done although I know some of you guys have done it. 

So I’m wondering if there’s anyone local to Rainham, Kent that has the equipment to do it and could help me out? I’ll pay obviously.

Hello Richard,

Mileage on any Ford instrument cluster can only be increased (moved up) it can not be reduced (even by the Ford garage).

When ever an instrument cluster is replaced by a used/second hand unit it is very important that the replacement has less mileage than the one it replaces.

Using a licensed version of the software FORScan you can adjust the mileage of the replacement up. 

• Like 2

Hi , thanks for reply. I made sure I got a lower mileage one. So just need it adjusted up. 

The Ford garage just refused outright and said it can’t be adjusted at all. 

What do I need to use Forscan? 
I didn’t really want to have to spend loads on equipment just to do the one thing. But if I have to then suppose I can sell it afterwards. 

If you have a Windows laptop the equipment and software you need will cost less than having a Ford garage do it and you will be able to use it to diagnose faults in the future so it's a win-win.

You just need a modified ELM327 cable and Forscan which is a free download. You then need to buy a 1-year Forscan licence to do the adjustment. The licence isn't needed for reading fault codes so when it expires you can still use it for that.

You don't need a paid license just a free extended to move mileage up.

• Like 1

OTOH  why bother? Just keep records so that when you sell the car on, you can provide an audit trail of the replacement.

15 hours ago, RMurphy195 said:

OTOH  why bother? Just keep records so that when you sell the car on, you can provide an audit trail of the replacement.

It takes seconds to do in Forscan, why leave it?

• Like 2

Thanks for the info everyone. I’ll have to get the cable and software and give it a go. 

On 3/9/2022 at 7:12 PM, unofix said:

Mileage on any Ford instrument cluster can only be increased (moved up) it can not be reduced (even by the Ford garage).

Ok. Maybe a stupid question...but....

Could a used cluster that has more mileage than your car, be increase up to 99999 with Forscan. Driven 2 miles, hopefully reading 00001. And then increase again to match the actual mileage? 

1 hour ago, Nathan Buffery said:

An interesting idea but probably no. The odometer actual goes to 999,999 and since Ford aren't expecting cars to do a million miles it will probably just explode !

A word of caution to anyone who might be thinking of trying this. The true mileage of the vehicle is also recorded in many of the modules in the car like the ECU, BCM, PDM, DDM. If you increase the mileage in the instrument cluster to 999,999 then it is a fair bet that all these modules will do the same. Then the big question is can they be rolled past zero ?

• Sad 1

I'm guessing there will be a bigger motivation to wind back the mileage, when we start getting charged for the miles we drive. 

When I had a diesel car in New Zealand, you get an extra charge for the amount of Kilometres you drive. The locals said they have a hidden switch which turns off the speedo. 

9 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Could a used cluster that has more mileage than your car, be increase up to 99999 with Forscan. Driven 2 miles, hopefully reading 00001. And then increase again to match the actual mileage? 

That will not work. From experience I can tell that doing this will lock the mileage at 99999 Miles

8 hours ago, unofix said:

A word of caution to anyone who might be thinking of trying this. The true mileage of the vehicle is also recorded in many of the modules in the car like the ECU, BCM, PDM, DDM. If you increase the mileage in the instrument cluster to 999,999 then it is a fair bet that all these modules will do the same. Then the big question is can they be rolled past zero ?

On a Focus MK3/MK3.5 the mileage is only stored in the instrument cluster. 

All other modules that show the mileage during diagnostics just synchronise with the instrument cluster. After I installed a 0 Miles instrument cluster into my Focus MK3 all other modules also showed the 0 Mileage.

Some Focus MK3/MK3.5 modules do not show the correct mileage anyway because the mileage of these modules is reset every time a software update is performed.

With the correct tools the instrument cluster mileage can easily be changed downwards. I even managed to lower the mileage using a cheap ELM327 interface, a terminal software (for example PuTTY) and the correct AT commands (this however requires a lot of knowledge and experience).

10 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

No, because they go 999,999 now (million miles)

If you haven't got it sorted, feel free to give me a shout. I'm the other side of the bridge but can do it if you get stuck.

4 hours ago, JW1982 said:

cluster mileage can easily be changed downwards

a terminal software (for example PuTTY) and the correct AT commands (this however requires a lot of knowledge and experience).

Kind of contradicts the statement "easily be changed downwards" 🤣

Shall we say that for 99% of users moving the mileage backwards is not something to try and undertake. I agree with the fact that the modules reflect the mileage of the IC, my point was if you move that to 999,999 would the modules be able to roll over past zero. I don't know the answer to that.

Can you please confirm on a Focus MK3/MK3.5 is the mileage

only stored in the instrument cluster. 

Or do the modules actually record/store the mileage as you say they:

do not show the correct mileage anyway because the mileage of these modules is reset every time a software update is performed.

Or do the the modules

that show the mileage during diagnostics just synchronise with the instrument cluster

19 hours ago, unofix said:

Can you please confirm on a Focus MK3/MK3.5 is the mileage

Or do the modules actually record/store the mileage as you say they:

Or do the the modules

Mileage is stored the the IPC and ABS module IIRC

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jlawes20389 said:

If you haven't got it sorted, feel free to give me a shout. I'm the other side of the bridge but can do it if you get stuck.

Ok awesome, thank you. 

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but you guys don't half chat some bubbles .  The mileage is easily changed in either direction  ,  it isn't stored in all those locations on fords ,  in the diesels its stored in the cluster and the PCM in petrols only the cluster , any half decent diaganostics will write the mileage up but it WILL NOT go past 999999