Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is LX really supposed to mean luxury trim?

AntonovAN12

According to internet information, LX is supposed to mean luxury trim. It is also used by other brands besides Ford.

As the MK2 LX is only one level up from the bottom trim level, it can hardly be called luxury. These came with steel wheels, black mirrors and door handles, no front fog lamps etc.

As far as I am concerned, Low Expectations is a more fitting meaning.

• Like 2

Or Less eXtras.

In the olden days LX was a midrange trim. It's not been used by Ford UK for many years though. 

• Like 1

Perhaps when it was first introduced as a trim level many decades ago...!

Even 30 years ago it was a fairly bland trim level for many manufacturers, with GLX (Grande Luxe) being a step above.

Of course, you can't really call any trim 'Poverty' or 'Tightwad' as that might put potential buyers off.  Hence strange names for basic trims like 'Life', 'Style' and 'Exclusiv'.  VW like to confuse people by changing thier trim levels regularly...  Match went from being a rubbish Mk4 Golf...to being the top spec Mk6!  And they now use 'Style' for the luxury Mk8 Golf...a name Ford have used for years as a basic trim!  Of course, Ford now use 'Trend' for their basic trim...just to add even more confusion.

And of course Ford like to re-organise things by demoting trim levels... Ghia went from being the very best, to nearly the best (with Ghia X being the top), to mid-range (with Titanium being the top). And now Titanium is mid-range...

When will the madness end?

• Like 1

I'll have you know, that my beloved LX came with a CD player, and proper wind up windows on the rear doors. In addition, it had a fully working indicator stalk, and a heated rear windscreen. I ask - what more could you possibly want??

• Like 1

I think the last time Ford used the LX trim name, at least on the Focus, was the mid 2000s as mine is.

The very lowest of the early Mk2 trim levels was the Studio.

This had steel wheels, a cassette player, and I believe non-metallic paint as standard. I think they did have central but not remote locking. In all it was more like a mid 1990s spec car.

When I was looking at buying my Mk2, I only ever saw a handful for sale, so they can't have sold many.

The later pre-facelift Mk2 lowest trim level was the Style, which had a lot more than the Studio as standard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, erictcleric said:

And of course Ford like to re-organise things by demoting trim levels... Ghia went from being the very best, to nearly the best (with Ghia X being the top), to mid-range (with Titanium being the top). And now Titanium is mid-range...

I've always liked the Titanium name myself.

It's a shame they didn't keep with that theme...  LX/Studio becomes Iron.  ST-Line - Gold.  Vignale - Platinum.  ST - Potassium.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

...what more could you possibly want??

Quickclear windscreen!!  Literally Ford's USP!! :tongue:

• Like 1

One of mine is an LX. 2008 reg so one of the very last to be given the LX badge.

It's got body coloured door handles and mirror caps, which is very unusual for an LX, someone must have ticked the box 😁

... in 2013:

So Titanium's the luxury trim? So that'll include leather and larger alloys? No - you need the Tit X if you want those.

Ah, OK if I have to, but that'll have sat nav, presumably? Er, no.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, alanfp said:

... in 2013:

So Titanium's the luxury trim? So that'll include leather and larger alloys? No - you need the Tit X if you want those.

Ah, OK if I have to, but that'll have sat nav, presumably? Er, no.

2008 Titanium didn't even get cruise or climate as standard!! 😒  And there was no Tit X...you had to manually select any options which makes finding used ones with the desired options a pain.

At least cruise was easy to add, but I had to go without climate for the first time in 5 years.  Even my late 90's 306 Meridians all had (semi) climate!

It originally meant "L" with "X" pack. There were X, L & R packs originally. MK1 Capris were crazy for packs, you could order a GT "X" or GT "R" and there were many GT "XLR"s. By the time we got to the 90's it was used, along with GLX, as a normal model and meant "L" spec or "GL" spec with extras. "X" for extras (Like A/C, sunroof, clock etc)

Just as Zetec was originally "Sporty", then replaced LX and is now TREND. Ford have lost the plot.

Rumour has it, that Ford used to spend over 1 million £ a year on ***** badges and different letter combinations!! 😉

1 hour ago, VFR800 said:

Rumour has it, that Ford used to spend over 1 million £ a year on ***** badges and different letter combinations!! 😉

Ford spent about 60 pence equipping the MK2 LX Focus.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, FatHead1979 said:

Ford spent about 60 pence equipping the MK2 LX Focus.

mmm... that much, you surprise me...

• Haha 2

On 3/11/2022 at 7:57 PM, TomsFocus said:

I've always liked the Titanium name myself.

It's a shame they didn't keep with that theme...  LX/Studio becomes Iron.  ST-Line - Gold.  Vignale - Platinum.  ST - Potassium.

RS - Plutonium

12 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Just as Zetec was originally "Sporty", then replaced LX and is now TREND. Ford have lost the plot.

Zetec and LX were available in the same range, at least in the era mine was sold. There was also the Sport that came between the LX and Zetec. All this had extra over the LX was alloys, front fog lights and a leather trimmed steering wheel. I have a copy of the original 2005 brochure with all this information.

12 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

It originally meant "L" with "X" pack. There were X, L & R packs originally. MK1 Capris were crazy for packs, you could order a GT "X" or GT "R" and there were many GT "XLR"s. By the time we got to the 90's it was used, along with GLX, as a normal model and meant "L" spec or "GL" spec with extras. "X" for extras (Like A/C, sunroof, clock etc)

Zetec wasn't sporty, it was just the mid range trim.  Zetec-S was sporty(ish) i.e. slightly lowered suspension, a body kit and different grills.

And you had "style" in between LX and Sport. It gave you fake plastic alloy-style wheel trims and a body coloured front grille surround 

10 hours ago, FatHead1979 said:

Zetec wasn't sporty, it was just the mid range trim.  Zetec-S was sporty(ish) i.e. slightly lowered suspension, a body kit and different grills.

It was when it originally came out on Fiesta IV and Focus MK1. alloys, spoiler, fog lamps, steering wheel, gear knob

Don’t forget the Zetec Climate on the MK2! Because Zetec randomly deleted the AC which was standard on LX and Sport, so you had to option the Climate pack to get it back and the Quickclear. I’m sure the Fiesta also had a Style Climate and Style+ trims?

Think it’s Luxury eXempt it means really 🤣

On 3/11/2022 at 5:39 PM, erictcleric said:

i remember when i was looking for a car i said to a ford salesman i want a car with bells and whistles so want a titanium he said that a titanium doesnt have all the bells and whistles i dont think he knew about cars that much lol

4 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

i remember when i was looking for a car i said to a ford salesman i want a car with bells and whistles ...

You mean, like this??

bells.thumb.jpg.fdf7c9adcac0886bff29cf3e6bf59ddd.jpg

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You mean, like this??

bells.thumb.jpg.fdf7c9adcac0886bff29cf3e6bf59ddd.jpg

yeah how much is it lol

Just now, mrmetallica said:

yeah how much is it lol

Now, trade in, or, cash sale?? LOL 🤣

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club