Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on getting 2006 Fiesta Ghia back on the road

Kevlar-2006

Hi all, so hopefully this will be the first of many posts in here. I have already found lots of info, thanks!

So I have a 2006 Fiesta Ghia 1.6 (21k on the clock) which we were given in Lockdown by an older family member (who owned it from new). Great history, no issue with it from what we know, but it's been SORN since then and on my driveway.

I have started her up once a week, left the handbrake off and frequently pump the brakes and move here back and forth just so nothing gets seized up on the wheels etc.

I plan to get her back on the road, so from peoples experiences are there any checks i should do before putting her through an MOT considering she has not been driven any distance for the last 2 years?.

Thanks for any help guys!

I used to one of those and it's a nice little car.   Regardless of mileage, I would change the oil and filter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With only 21k on the clock and 16 years old, I would check age of tyres, get the brake fluid checked/changed, check battery fully charged, and possibly turn the engine over before starting it ?

Did you pump the clutch whilst Sorned ?  It might be stuck.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Paulkp, Yes Clutch was pumped and i did drive it forwards and backwards on the drive every other week. Will do the other checks also you suggested! Thanks 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bobr said:

I used to one of those and it's a nice little car.   Regardless of mileage, I would change the oil and filter.

Thanks, yes, thats on my list to do a basic oil and filter change! Spark plugs also, do you think the HT leads are worth changing also?

I would not change the plug leads unless there is a problem.  And I should have read your first post a second time ! I sorn one of my cars in the garage annually over the winter, pump clutch, brakes and roll it backwards and forwards, having previously slightly over inflated the tyres to reduce risk of flat spots, and leave it connected to a trickle charger

We currently run a Fiesta and a Fusion with the 1.6 petrol, and easily get >40mpg, and previously had a 2006 1.4TDCI.  Practical small cars, and the Fusion is a bit like a Tardis!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paulkp said:

I would not change the plug leads unless there is a problem.  And I should have read your first post a second time ! I sorn one of my cars in the garage annually over the winter, pump clutch, brakes and roll it backwards and forwards, having previously slightly over inflated the tyres to reduce risk of flat spots, and leave it connected to a trickle charger

We currently run a Fiesta and a Fusion with the 1.6 petrol, and easily get >40mpg, and previously had a 2006 1.4TDCI.  Practical small cars, and the Fusion is a bit like a Tardis!

Thanks for the tips! Yes it's a cracking little car, it has everything electric on it with leather seats, aircon the works! and does drive lovely! Hopefully over the next few weeks i can get everything sorted and get her driving again!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club