Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange bumping noise/feeling when reversing or full lock

Normskii

Hello all

I have a Mk2 Focus Estate (2006) and wondered if anyone could advise what is going on with my car.  When reversing and turning the wheel (nearly full lock) it feels almost like the tyres are popping out and there is like a bumping feeling/noise from the front of the car.  It also happens moving forward but turning slowly (almost full lock)...especially round multi storey car parks when going up/down the ramps slowly.  Again it feels like the tyres are popping (almost like a flat tyre even though the pressures are all ok). 

At 1st I thought it was the tyre tread rubbing against the wheel arches, but then thought that would be a huge design flaw (but it does feel like this). Any ideas (sorry if my description is a bit vague).  When normal driving and going round roundabouts etc all seems to be fine.  I have checked and the tyre pressures are correct (as thought they may be under inflated). 

Thanks

Had something similar on an 08 Fiesta.Never heard this kind of noise before. Convinced it was coming from the front, but it was actually coming from the back. A spring had broken, 1/4 way from the top and was grinding against the shock absorber.

• Like 2

Sounds like CV joints to me. Are you able to upload/share a video of it?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Normskii said:

When reversing and turning the wheel (nearly full lock) it feels almost like the tyres are popping out and there is like a bumping feeling/noise from the front of the car.

Reversing at full lock has long been a standard test for worn out driveshaft CV joints. Jacking a front wheel up should quickly test for this, checking for rotation between driveshaft & wheel at various steering angles. There should be almost no apparent slack or roughness in the CV joint. There will be quite a lot of slack in the transmission, so you will feel free movement at the wheel on a change of direction, but the driveshaft itself should have no rotational slack in either the CV joint or the inner joint.

Broken springs are another quite good possibility, they usually break very near one end (top or bottom), and it is not always obvious unless examined quite carefully. Again this will need the car jacked up, it is very hard to feel or see much of the spring with the car down on its tyres.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club